I HATE salads!!!!!

Options

Replies

• Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I've found a lot of good recipes for cauliflower on Pinterest. Its low carb and very versatile. I made " cauliflower popcorn" last night and it was one of the better ways I've eaten any veggie.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I eat burrito bowls lots of protein and can add a variety of vegetables.
  • tamaera
    tamaera Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My husband recently bought me a Nutri Ninja blender, I've been getting my greens in with smoothies. I honestly can't even taste the greens in there. I just literally toss a handful of frozen fruits, some icecubes, agave for sweetener, greens (kale, spinach and chard) and blend away. The blender makes it into the smoothest drink ever - can't recall ever consuming so many fruits and veggies in one day before but it's awesome :)
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Look provided you measure out your dressing and you are sticking to your calorie goals there's nothing wrong with adding ranch or whatever you want to your salad. You are still getting more nutritional bang for your buck with a salad with ranch dressing than say, a ham and cheese sandwich.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Wait, back to salad. Are we talking about a big pile of lettuce and a few randoms? 'cuz lettuce is pretty nutritionally useless.
    Good article: "Why salad is so overrated"
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/why-salad-is-so-overrated/2015/08/21/ecc03d7a-4677-11e5-8ab4-c73967a143d3_story.html

• A_New_Creation
    A_New_Creation Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    ^ Love greek myself.
    Try blending spinach into a smoothie for more greens.
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    I've never met anyone who didn't like a(n authentic) Greek salad.
    If I had, I wouldn't trust them... ;)

i'll accept and learn to live with your suspicion, i suppose. something about feta cheese...just can't do it. black olives...same thing. best way to keep me from eating your pizza? black olives. :)

• OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    I like to take a bunch of fresh veggies like broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, and green beans, then add in a diced tomato and maybe a little corn. Then I put in a bit of water and steam it in the microwave. Add garlic powder, black pepper, and sprinkle some shredded cheese on top, and you're left with a tasty and filling healthy snack / lunch.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Lol. A salad drenched to a full fat dressing is the only way to go if eating salad.
    I disagree, I grew up eating my salads with no dressing at all while the rest of my family drowned their greens in it. It wasn't for health reasons, I just didn't like dressing.
    I agree, I am still partial to very little or no dressing (hate it when it is drowned in oily stuff). I find most dressings spoil a good salad and make it inedible.
    Just goes to show that everybodies taste is different and that there are never just one way things that work for all So things like "only way" are just simply untrue, even if it may be true for one person.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Wait, back to salad. Are we talking about a big pile of lettuce and a few randoms? 'cuz lettuce is pretty nutritionally useless.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/why-salad-is-so-overrated/2015/08/21/ecc03d7a-4677-11e5-8ab4-c73967a143d3_story.html

Good article; the evils of lettuce. . . . .changing of crop space.. . . . .visualize the least nutrient in a salad. . . . ..worth the time to read.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Seriously? We're attacking lettuce now? It tastes good and gives crunch and volume. Plus their reasoning is weird. When vegetables are mostly water they're basically low calorie. You don't measure nutrition per gram, that's only valid for those who have issues with consuming food, not people who are trying to eat less of it. You measure it per calorie to see how much nutrition you could fit into a specific calorie diet.

Should I stop eating watercress just because it's only 4 calories per cup (mostly water)? Well, it has so many nutrients in 100 calories that it's much more nutritionally dense than 100 calories of other things that are touted as nutrient rich like avocado.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Lately I have been making salads without greens. Peel and slice a whole cucumber, slice some red onion, add cherry tomatoes, grate some fresh black pepper, and drizzle with balsamic or red wine vinegar. No fatty dressing needed. In fact, it doesn't even taste right with a small drizzle of olive oil in addition to the vinegar.

No issue with the lettuce, the cucumbers are coming in fast and furious right now and my gardening friends and neighbors are trying to get rid of them, as well as extra tomatoes.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Then there is my favorite: wilted lettuce salad with hot bacon dressing. The hot bacon dressing is also good on fresh baby spinach.

The way my Mom taught me to make hot bacon dressing:
    6 slices bacon, diced
    1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar vinegar
    1⁄4 cup sugar
    1 Tsp cornstarch mixed in 2 Tbl cold water
    green onions

Fry the bacon until it is crispy, remove from pan and turn the heat down to low. Mix the sugar into the vinegar and add the cornstarch mixture. Stir until blended. Slowly pour into the bacon fat and increase heat to medium. Cook until it thickens slightly. Add green onions and let soften in the dressing. Pour over greens and serve immediately. For wilted lettuce salad, pour over leaf lettuce and let sit about 5 minutes before serving.

Salad is just what greens you want plus sliced hard cooked eggs.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

Seriously? We're attacking lettuce now? It tastes good and gives crunch and volume. Plus their reasoning is weird. When vegetables are mostly water they're basically low calorie. You don't measure nutrition per gram, that's only valid for those who have issues with consuming food, not people who are trying to eat less of it. You measure it per calorie to see how much nutrition you could fit into a specific calorie diet.

Should I stop eating watercress just because it's only 4 calories per cup (mostly water)? Well, it has so many nutrients in 100 calories that it's much more nutritionally dense than 100 calories of other things that are touted as nutrient rich like avocado.
    Not sure it is attacking.....lettuce has it's own slogan though "Lettuce alone" no one really bothers it.
  • luckyduck8801
    luckyduck8801 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like making summer rolls with lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, avocados and fresh basil
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a fridge/freezer where you work, I like the frozen, ready-to-microwave frozen veggies. it's easy. Toss in micro for 5min then its done. Can eat it right out of the bag, too.
    But I'm more with the previous poster of veggies in a chicken pot pie. ;)
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Asherberry wrote: »
    Like seriously, ew. I have tried countless different recipes, ingredients, methods. Blech. I just can't do it - unless it's covered with something totally bad for me (think cheese or Caesar dressing).
    Anyone have any good ideas to help get veggies (especially in a packed lunch) that aren't salads?

Thanks everyone!

What is wrong with salad covered with cheese/dressing? Just count it so that it fits into your calories. Don't go overboard but some feta, parmesan, or goat cheese makes salads taste really good. Make sure to mix well, I usually don't even use dressings if I am having cheese in my salad.
    Instead of cheese you can measure out dressings for your salad 1-2 tablespoons, shake your salad so that little bit of the dressing covers everything.
    I also like adding olives to my salads, it gives flavor.
    Salads without any dressing or flavor are hard to eat. Pick only dressing or cheese (not both) and you should be fine with your calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    mwyvr wrote: »
    ^ raw veggies with hummus and/or tzatziki. Yum.

I never buy this pre-made. Ever. Both are easy to make at home. Hummus I make in large batches - I pressure cook four cups of dried beans - and freeze in smaller packages I can thaw and use up over the course of a week. The combo is a good source of carbs and fibre and tastes good.

Tzatziki made with 2% or 4% Greek yogurt is delicious and even faster to make than hummus. Grate very finely a peeled cucumber; salt it and let the water drain out and/or press water through a sieve; meanwhile crush very finely a clove or two of garlic. Mix everything together in a large container of good yogurt; salt and pepper to taste, I add a bit of cayenne. Good for a week, tastes great on raw veggies, on meats, on Indian food even.

I'll use it as a base for salad dressing, sometimes will add dill to it, sometimes may thin with a bit of buttermilk if we have some and crumble a salmon burger on top. Want ranch, mix in a bit of mayo. Etc.

Add a few drops of vinegar and a bit of olive oil in your tzatziki. It makes the difference between yoghurt dressing and tzatziki ;)

Absolutely.
    Plus you can go two additional ways to make it:

1) add finely chopped fresh mint or hand-smashed dried mint to taste (Cyprus way)
    or
    2) add dried dill. That's the Greek American way, at least that's how we did it at a Greek restaurant.

Ya, my Joy of Cooking Tzatziki recipe has yogurt, cucumber, garlic, olive oil, vinegar or lemon, and fresh mint and dill. I use it as a lower calorie salad dressing but it's great on cooked veggies and many other things as well.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Asherberry wrote: »
    do you like veggies in soup? The soups I make/buy are basically hot liquid salads.
    Yes, I do like veggies in soup. I just have a hard time with raw ones. And, I also don't eat meat! So figure that out, no meat and hates salads... LOL

I hate raw tomatoes but like canned ones. I don't like salad when it's cold out - I have summer veggie recipes and winter veggie recipes. Good luck finding what works for you :)
  • Asherberry
    Asherberry Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    I've found a lot of good recipes for cauliflower on Pinterest. Its low carb and very versatile. I made " cauliflower popcorn" last night and it was one of the better ways I've eaten any veggie.

That sounds awesome, I have to look that one up!