It just won't shift

Options

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Well thank you for your comments they are duly noted and will be taken in as a jugment on my knowledge or apparently lack of !! You would think that after nursing for 25 years and bringing up 2 children I would have learnt something .also a wellbeing nurse so may be My lack in listening is flawed !!! I think Not .i was simply implying if my lack of weight loss was something maybe others had endured. not asking for a test on my knowledge which with having a trained nutritionist in the family you would think would be a little bit better then most ??
    O well off for a run to chase out all the negative comments on my ability to know how many calories are in what and when something has a high fat content. Feel worse now than I did about my Wright so thank you for that

Think for one moment that you are right on everything. You are right that you are consuming 800 calories a day, your right that you are burning over 2000 in exercise calories a day for 9 months. How would that be possible?

Think about it, your normal TDEE would be around 1800 for your height and activity level. That would mean you were 3000 calories under each and every day for 9 months. That means you would lose almost 6lbs every single week. You would have wasted away by now.

People aren't trying to be mean, they are trying to help you see.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I am a mother of two and come from a family of nurses, but I admit I had no clue about how to really lose weight. There are so many fads and a lot of misinformation out there. Plus, nurses are not nutritionists. Being a nurse yourself I am sure you realize the small amount of nutrition training nurses get. My SIL is a head pediatric nurse and she was drinking Shakeology and did not know that the FDA doesn't regulate diet supplements.

You say your calorie burn is accurate, how do you know? Are you using a heart rate monitor?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Your logging is inaccurate.
    Your exercise burns are over estimated.
    Your basic knowledge of nutrition is flawed.
    You are not creating a sustained calorie deficit.

All the above are easily solvable by reading the replies in this thread.

all of that...........
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I have been eating healthy for about 9 months now, I don't eat meat not because
    I have views in killing animal but because I am sick of eating rubbish meat not knowing how it was killed and cleaned and what it has been injected with "yuck"
    I don't eat any fried food, any fats ie butter cream etc
    I don t eat cake etc
    Only small amount of bread per werk
    I work out at 4 classes a week
    I run and bike most weeks
    SO WHY DON'T I LOSE THIS EXTRA WEIGHT !!

I eat meat.
    I eat fried foods.
    I use butter.
    I put cream in my coffee.
    I eat cake.
    I exercise only sporadically.

I've lost 40 lbs.

I use a food scale to weigh all my food. When I do exercise, I make sure to eat back no more than half of the calories I've burned.

You are eating more than you burn. Period.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    Well thank you for your comments they are duly noted and will be taken in as a jugment on my knowledge or apparently lack of !! You would think that after nursing for 25 years and bringing up 2 children I would have learnt something .also a wellbeing nurse so may be My lack in listening is flawed !!! I think Not .i was simply implying if my lack of weight loss was something maybe others had endured. not asking for a test on my knowledge which with having a trained nutritionist in the family you would think would be a little bit better then most ??
    O well off for a run to chase out all the negative comments on my ability to know how many calories are in what and when something has a high fat content. Feel worse now than I did about my Wright so thank you for that

Um. I believe it was you who asked ...

Hi
    I have been eating healthy for about 9 months now, I don't eat meat not because
    I have views in killing animal but because I am sick of eating rubbish meat not knowing how it was killed and cleaned and what it has been injected with "yuck"
    I don't eat any fried food, any fats ie butter cream etc
    I don t eat cake etc
    Only small amount of bread per werk
    I work out at 4 classes a week
    I run and bike most weeks
    SO WHY DON'T I LOSE THIS EXTRA WEIGHT !!

We are giving you the answer. You are consuming more calories than you are burning.

I eat meat, fats, cake, and bread, as well as other things of course ... but I meticulously weigh and log it all to ensure I am eating at or under my recommended calories. When in doubt, I overestimate the calories consumed a little bit.

I exercise quite a bit ... I am a cyclist and also enjoy hiking plus a few other sports. I underestimate the calories burned from them all, plus only eat about half my calories back.

And I have lost weight. :)

I encourage you to enter your info into MFP, set yourself as sedentary, and select a goal (e.g. 1 lb/week). MFP will give you your maximum calories. Then carefully and meticulously weigh and log everything you eat to ensure you're at or just slight under those recommended calories.

And as for exercise ... most calorie counters overestimate the number of calories you burn. Sometimes quite significantly. As I said above, underestimate, and then only eat half back.

Try that for a couple months and see how you go. :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Weird thread.

"What am I doing wrong?"
    "Don't tell me what I'm doing wrong!"

:) OP, we've all had some big lessons to learn. That's the way to succeed.

We're all here to change.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Weird thread.

"What am I doing wrong?"
    "Don't tell me what I'm doing wrong!"

:) OP, we've all had some big lessons to learn. That's the way to succeed.

We're all here to change.

i agree with this post. I only lost weight as i started to become aware of what i was doing and make some changes.
    OP dont get upset only helpful advice has been given and you are taking it the wrong way
    you are obviously being mindful of what you are eating just use the scale to track it more accurately.
    good luck
  • donna70s
    donna70s Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    She was on my friends list and has said she's leaving MFP
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    donna70s wrote: »

I don't understand this at all. She asked for help, was given lots of realistic, practical advice but has got upset because it wasn't what she wanted to hear. What on earth did she actually want people to say?? :/
  • donna70s
    Options

I don't understand this at all. She asked for help, was given lots of realistic, practical advice but has got upset because it wasn't what she wanted to hear. What on earth did she actually want people to say?? :/

I have no idea, I always listen to people who've been on the journey longer than I have x
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Why do some people bother to ask for help and then get mad when people try to help? Weird...
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Yoshirio wrote: »
    Why do some people bother to ask for help and then get mad when people try to help? Weird...

not really
    it depends on what stage you are at
    also on how you are reading the responses given
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options

There are plenty of people in your boat wondering why they haven't lost weight... they are all overeating.

You asked why you weren't losing weight. People told you why.

You can either listen to the advice given and try and see where you're going wrong or you can keep believing everyone are just big meanies trying to insult your knowledge and make you feel bad and stay where you are. It's your choice.
  • Camomilejane
    Camomilejane Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Wishing you all the very best in your weight loss journey!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Because some people don't really want help/advice. They just want to be told what they want to hear. "You're doing everything right. It's the program that doesn't work. You are doing everything perfectly and don't need to change a single thing".

I don't see how that advice could be helpful to anyone who is struggling with weight loss, but if you're one of the people who dares to say, "You're not doing this correctly. Try this instead", you are mean, rude, etc.

I also don't see how the OP leaving MFP is going to solve her problems. Maybe she can find the "Puppies and Rainbows" weight loss plan, where everything you do is right and beautiful and will result in immediate, permanent weight loss.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Well that's a shame.

These boards get post after post about people wondering why they haven't lost weight. The stories vary from people who exercise several hours a day, people who are vegetarian/vegan/raw/"clean" eaters, people who "barely" eat, people who "struggle" to eat their calorie allowance, etc. In the end there is only one thing they have in common and no it is not a medical condition; it's that they eat more than they realize. Measuring cups aren't enough. A food scale is the most accurate method of ensuring you're eating the right amount of calories. I've even started weighing things like protein bars. The bar is supposed to be 60 grams; sometimes it's 58 grams and sometimes it's as high as 67 grams. Those few grams make a big difference throughout the day.

I know a lot of people don't want to hear or accept that they're hindering their own weight loss but they'll probably never make progress otherwise. In OP's case she had serious denial because of her and her daughter's professions. OP mentioned being a mental health/well being nurse and that has nothing to do with nutrition and weight loss. Besides, nurses may be knowledgeable about health but do you know how many nurses I see outside taking smoke breaks when I walk past the hospital in my area? People don't always do what's best for them even when they know better. It's like having an obese gym teacher, which is all too common. You could eat nothing but vegetables all day but if you eat more calories than you burn for the day, you're not going to lose weight. Plain and simple. Everyone would love to believe their thyroid is the problem, but there are plenty of people who have thyroid issues here that have lost weight. It doesn't change that much that CICO is all of a sudden rendered useless.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You know, this thread was honestly full of A LOT of good advice, expressed in a genial manner no less. That stuff is the GOLD of what you want to find from a message board no less because it just doesn't happen often at all... and OP still gets offended. I'm sorry, OP, but you're turning your nose down on people that actually want to help you, and that's sad. Good luck to you anyway. When you're ready to accept advice, you'll actually make a change in your journey.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Because they already know the answer and don't want to hear it!
  • donna70s
    Options
    Well I for one would like to thank all those who tell it to me straight, cheers for the support x
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I just looked at your diary. You're not weighing your food.

You need to watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!!! :D