To much protein bad for you?

Options
I was talking to someone about my diet. Told them I am trying to have 190 grams of protein a day. They said that was to much for me at 128 pounds. I am trying to gain about 40 pounds. Is there such thing where to much protein is bad for you?

My understanding of it was that your body can only except a certain amount then rejects rest.

Replies

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Absolutely too much. You could end up damaging your kidneys. i suggest you read up on this subject on the google.

The rejecting part still has to be processed and that's where the damage gets done/ You can't turn it all into muscle and you do need other nutrients. Its not all protein carbs, fat you know. You need vitamins minerals and other micronutrients. That's why a varied diet is important. Varied in terms of whole foods that is. NOt a wide variety of processed foods becuase these are low in nutrients.
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    No, that is not too much, and as long as your kindeys are functioning properly and you drink enough water thne you will be fine. I take in 200+ grams of protein per day. If you are very unsure, consult your doctor and have some labs drawn
  • RedWolf09
    RedWolf09 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It's not too much. The thing about protein is you need to be aware that your body will need to process however much you consume. If it's a lot it may tax your liver and kidneys. But don't freak out because there are ways around it through supps. You will probably never have to deal with that anyways lol so just keep eating of you feel comfortable.

Aside from that though, my advice is to focus on eating a ton of carbs if you're trying to bulk. Don't worry so much about the protein.
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that a lot of protein was hard on your liver.

I have a liver tumor and have to have frequent bloodwork. For a while my liver enzymes were off the charts. Once I cut back on the amount of protein I was eating, my liver values returned to normal. I generally eat low to moderate amounts of protein, but then I do have pre-existing liver issues.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I would not suggest ONLY eating meat, chicken and eggs for your diet, with no veggies, good carbs, good fats to balance the diet. NO to eating only protein.

But protein and a good amount of it is good for maintaining and building muscle mass and other health benefits. Depending on your goals, it is varied on how much. Most people have a really hard time reaching a min protein amount through food alone. I personally have to supplement my protein to get enough for my personal goals.

Some say 1 gram per body weight or lean mass. Some say that for maintaining and building mass, consume 1.2 to 1.5 per body weight, etc... Why not do some research on your goals and the recommended amounts and further research based on your personal health whether it is too much or too little..

This may be where a MD, nutritionist can help you with your personal goals and diet strategy.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    It's probably a bit more than you need for your bodyweight. It's not bad for you unless you have pre existing medical conditions and remember to drink loads of water. The reason some people on the Atkins diet get Kidney stones is because of the high protein and not drinking enough water. I'm talking Litres. Kidney stones are excrutiating. Try to stay away from to much red meat (although fine in moderation I prefer Chicken, fish and occasionally shakes). Also keep your Fibre intake up to make your toilet experiences less painful shall we say.
  • dizzler1
    dizzler1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I would stick to1 gram per lb of body weight tbh . Not so sure if too much is bad but it is a waste especially if your supplementing with shakes
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    dizzler1 wrote: »
    I would stick to1 gram per lb of body weight tbh . Not so sure if too much is bad but it is a waste especially if your supplementing with shakes

1g of protein per lb of body mass isn't necessary.

0.8g of protein per lb of body mass has shown to be just as effective.

• butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Well if your trying to gain it may be suppressing your appetite to have that much protein. The only time I go above 1g/# of body weight is when I'm in a deficit because it really helps to be less hungry.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    dizzler1 wrote: »

1g of protein per lb of body mass isn't necessary.

0.8g of protein per lb of body mass has shown to be just as effective.

this …and then get .45 gams of fat per pound of body weight and fill in the rest with carbs. when bulking you want the majority of calories to come from carbs, not proteins…

and 190 grams of protein is not going to damage your kidneys, it is just too much to provide any additional benefit.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Too much for your actually protein needs so most will get converted to carbs rather than what you want it for. As far as being dangerous it's unlikely to be at a dangerous level unless you have medical issues, but unless you really like the high protein foods then you might want to replace some of them with lower protein alternatives to have a greater variety in your diet.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I can't speak on the damaging, long-term effects on your organs, because I am not a Doctor or certified professional. However, on the topic of new muscle synthesis, 0.82 grams protein per 1 lb. bodyweight is the upper end of what human muscles can actually utilize per day. This fact has been studied for over three decades, and the results are the same... suggesting a range for active individuals of approx. 0.60-0.80 grams protein per 1 lb. bodyweight per day.

Common sense reasons for not consuming more protein than 0.82 g/lb:

1) Protein rich foods are the most expensive macronutrient in the supermarket.

2) A 170 lb. weight lifter can bulk or maintain just as effectively on 102-139 grams protein per day as they can on 150-200 grams per day. The latter method is just illogical. As long as you hit your target protein range, total calorie intake begins to take precedence. Dietary fat carries the highest caloric load of the macronutrients by more than double. So if you are having a hard time maintaining, or bulking, then the obvious answer is to up dietary fat.

3) Someone who overconsumes protein is typically, but not always, someone who is bulking and following the old and irrational 1980s bodybuilder diet of chicken, brown rice, potatoes, eggs, oatmeal, banana, etc. ~ but totally ignoring low calorie micronutrient rich foods like spinach, carrots, peppers, berries, kale, melon, etc. The emphasis that people that fall into this category put on nutrition is solely about calories and not about having a very varied diet, rich in nutrition. So in the end, that person's diet, which they are working so hard on, actually sucks.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Ronnie Coleman eats 600 grams a day.

He is also an extreme case, probably consuming upwards of 8-10k calories per day, and other "hush-hush" factors are involved there.

Not the example you want to use to compare to the average person.
  • LoveIshie
    LoveIshie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how hard you workout and how many calories you are burning. Yes, too much protein can be bad if it's not done properly. Keep in mind your body already produces it own protein (Conditional & non essential amino acid). Your body doesn't produce enough of the essential amino acid it needs so that's where meat, eggs/dairy food products comes in. I think to get up to consuming that much protein 190g, you have to gradually get their. You are not Ronnie Coleman. You've to crawl before you walk. People like Ronnie Coleman had experts working with him. He didn't bulky overnight. Well, there is probably some juicing (hint hint Steroids) involved. No one get's that big without the assistance of some foreign substance.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Not too much. don't listen to the vegans. Ronnie Coleman eats 600 grams a day. I would say, don't go ketogenic.
    If you eat low carbs, and low fat, t's dangerous. you can die.

the body will use 100% of it, even if it takes 28 hours to digest. Bu/t why do u want that much?

it is too much in the sense that it is providing no additional benefit to OP and OP would be better backing it off and filling in the rest with carbs, which tend to be more important when bulking due to the insulin spike that eating carbs create….
  • sscarmack
    sscarmack Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My goal is 150 a day. I haven't noticed any difference between only getting 100 and I've gone as high as 250. 150 works for me and I'm steadily gaining mass. Lean mass.

As everyone mentioned, carbs and fats are just as important. I trying to keep my macros around 50/30/20 (C/P/F)

But it usually ends up around 55/20/25