To much protein bad for you?

Options

Replies

• sscarmack
    sscarmack Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    Absolutely too much. You could end up damaging your kidneys. i suggest you read up on this subject on the google.

The rejecting part still has to be processed and that's where the damage gets done/ You can't turn it all into muscle and you do need other nutrients. Its not all protein carbs, fat you know. You need vitamins minerals and other micronutrients. That's why a varied diet is important. Varied in terms of whole foods that is. NOt a wide variety of processed foods becuase these are low in nutrients.

If you have a preexisting or genetic disposition to liver disease then it can be an issue. If not, then the amount of protein the OP isn't an excessive amount that will be damaging it. You would need much much more than where the OP is.

While we can all agree upon its not too much to cause any problems. In my opinion, theres no point to eating that much when his body will do just fine on a lot less.

I eat around 150 a day and it works just as good as when I ate 250 a day.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Too much for your actually protein needs so most will get converted to carbs t.

How exactly does protein get converted to carbs?
  • Commander_Keen
    Options
    Mackinroy wrote: »
    I was talking to someone about my diet. Told them I am trying to have 190 grams of protein a day. They said that was to much for me at 128 pounds. I am trying to gain about 40 pounds. Is there such thing where to much protein is bad for you?

My understanding of it was that your body can only except a certain amount then rejects rest.
    Food for thought

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/09/07/5-annoying-and-dangerous-things-that-happen-when-eat-way-too-much-protein/
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    190 grams is way overkill for you. However, it is definitely not a dangerous amount. For your weight, 100-120 g would suffice. Anything over that is probably not adding any benefit and might just make your wallet lighter as protein sources are generally more expensive. Better to use those calories towards carbs to help fuel your workouts. Are you lifting weights?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yep way too much. You prob need 70. Most of excess is converted to glucose. Goes to fat.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

The short answer is gluconeogensis the long answer is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis for a starter. If you don't want to read through all fo the biochem/microbio stuff then the basic idea is that protein chains are mostly carbon and hydrogen with an amino acid group attached. When the amino acid group is removed the carbon and hydrogen can be reassmebled into carbohydrate chains.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Too much for your actually protein needs so most will get converted to carbs rather than what you want it for. As far as being dangerous it's unlikely to be at a dangerous level unless you have medical issues, but unless you really like the high protein foods then you might want to replace some of them with lower protein alternatives to have a greater variety in your diet.

This.
    Options

The short answer is gluconeogensis the long answer is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis for a starter. If you don't want to read through all fo the biochem/microbio stuff then the basic idea is that protein chains are mostly carbon and hydrogen with an amino acid group attached. When the amino acid group is removed the carbon and hydrogen can be reassmebled into carbohydrate chains.

Yep and this too.
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The only danger the OP is in -- unless there is no medical reason forbidding him -- are protein farts.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    The only danger the OP is in -- unless there is no medical reason forbidding him -- are protein farts.

Others around you might have an issue even if you don't. ;)
    Options

Others around you might have an issue even if you don't. ;)

True, but then that's motivation to lift heavier.. for protection. :D
  • Commander_Keen
    Options
    Mackinroy wrote: »
    I was talking to someone about my diet. Told them I am trying to have 190 grams of protein a day. They said that was to much for me at 128 pounds. I am trying to gain about 40 pounds. Is there such thing where to much protein is bad for you?

My understanding of it was that your body can only except a certain amount then rejects rest.

Everything is relative, depending on how you exercise and train
  • Commander_Keen
    Options
    Too much for your actually protein needs so most will get converted to carbs rather than what you want it for. As far as being dangerous it's unlikely to be at a dangerous level unless you have medical issues, but unless you really like the high protein foods then you might want to replace some of them with lower protein alternatives to have a greater variety in your diet.

This.

How exactly does protein get converted to carbs
    Options

This.

How exactly does protein get converted to carbs
    Wheelhouse answered it. Gluconeogenesis.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

God help us if he squats
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Yeah, unfortunately, protein farts are one of the odd items that have escaped the ObamaCare pre-existing condition rules, so you're on your own if you get them.