Clothing that no longer fits

Options
Just curious how long you waited before getting rid of the old clothes that no longer fit and what did you do with them ? Did you hang onto them until you were down a few sizes? I'm still wearing the larger clothes even though they are falling off my body.

At some point I will pack them all up and bring them to Goodwill rather than leaving them in my closet. I obviously need to do a little shopping.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It took me 5 years to get rid of my kids' clothes, so I'm typically slow about it... But I donated 26 bags worth of clothes about 6 months ago, including all my big ones. I looked up one of those trucks that pick up things at your house for charity and just left everything on the lawn the day they were supposed to come.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I keep a couple of pairs of jeans in a size larger than I am, just for those days when I'm feeling puffy/bloated. My period pants, if you will.

Other than that, all of my bigger clothes get donated.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I waited until I moved house... 5 garbage bags full of clothing I couldn't even kid myself into keeping. It's nice being able to fit into new clothes, but expensive to replace a full wardrobe. I still have some things that are loose on me just to have something to fall back on.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Ya, I wait til I'm down about 30 pounds before getting rid of clothes. I have favorites/high quality/expensive pieces taken it by a tailor.
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    WOW @Francl27 , you really purged a lot of stuff. You must have so much free closet space now.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    TamLam99 wrote: »
    WOW @Francl27 , you really purged a lot of stuff. You must have so much free closet space now.

I had a huge box of my stuff and a walk in closet full of kids clothes that no longer fit... (let's say my kids are 7 now and I still had some 24 month girl clothes, although I've given away most of the boy stuff). I just waited a little too long to do it, lol.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Immediately, because NEW CLOTHES! woot!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    My main purpose of this group is to support one another for losing weight and helping you find motivation. Each week there be Quizzes, Fun, Monthly Challenges, Swapping Recipes as well Fakeaway Idea's for the weekends Fake away is healthy meal which is like a takeaway but cooked in fresher and healthy way .
    I am not here to judge you nor will the group, Were here for the moral support and motivation when you need that kick up the butt, I cannot promise you it's gonna happen over night but 2 weeks 4 weeks from, now by just the support and motivation you see better outlook on you,
    We respect everyone weight loss plans, some people are doing slim fast, Some Do juice plus, and some weight watchers and slimming world whatever plan you are! we have recipe or friend you can buddy up with to motivate you.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Losingweightwhilemakingbuddies/

Seriously???? How inappropriate are you!!!!?
  • ejb060793
    ejb060793 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I still have a lot of mine.. haha. I have several bags of clothes to take, but have been too lazy to go drop them in the yellow bin on my way to/from work/school. I have lost 60 lbs., and while I fit comfortably in a large, a lot of my shirts that are 3XL+, I've decided to hang onto. I always need shirts, as my puppy thinks they're great for chewing on, and since I wear a lot of plain t-shirts, my husband can wear most of them, plus I like baggy clothes for sleeping in. My jeans... I keep... because.... well, I'm cheap. If I can keep them on with a belt, I don't like to get rid of them. A lot of what's going is clothes that fall off of me (either chest or waist), clothes that I never wear (ugly shirt that's been sitting in my closet unworn for 2 years), or clothes that I know I won't wear to bed and I know my husband won't wear (long dresses, pretty pink shirts).
  • TamLam99
    Options
    I'm sure it will take a while for me to part with the old clothes. Since I still have a lot more to lose I'll probably just buy a new item here and there. As you guys mentioned, it is really expensive to replace a wardrobe.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    My main purpose of this group is to support one another for losing weight and helping you find motivation. Each week there be Quizzes, Fun, Monthly Challenges, Swapping Recipes as well Fakeaway Idea's for the weekends Fake away is healthy meal which is like a takeaway but cooked in fresher and healthy way .
    I am not here to judge you nor will the group, Were here for the moral support and motivation when you need that kick up the butt, I cannot promise you it's gonna happen over night but 2 weeks 4 weeks from, now by just the support and motivation you see better outlook on you,
    We respect everyone weight loss plans, some people are doing slim fast, Some Do juice plus, and some weight watchers and slimming world whatever plan you are! we have recipe or friend you can buddy up with to motivate you.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Losingweightwhilemakingbuddies/

She's spamming this all over the forums. She got up to 25 posts and is back down to 21. And is now banned.

• Liftng4Lis
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

She's spamming this all over the forums. She got up to 25 posts and is back down to 21. And is now banned.

Go Lem!
  • amy102875
    amy102875 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm down about 8 sizes. I got rid of all my biggest sizes (14/16/18) this spring, had a garage sale and what didn't sell I donated. I was going to hold on to my 10/12s for a while, but think I'll get rid of those too. I didn't get a ton of those sizes, just enough to get me through. I'm in a 5/6 right now, and I'll hold on to the 7/8s for now. I only have about 8 lbs. more to lose so hopefully I'll be able to stick to a "permanent" size now.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I am torn on this. I've lost 65 pounds and everything is way too big at this point. Even my new "skinny clothes" are getting baggy. But I have a hard time giving it up! I worry that I'll gain the weight back and have to buy new stuff again. I've lost weight before and gained it back so it's a valid worry for me, though that was years ago before mfp taught me about maintenance and before 4 pregnancies. I do need to make space on my closet though.
  • mmonaghan99
    mmonaghan99 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I get rid of things that are cheaper materials, but I keep things like my nice Modcloth dresses that are made of sturdier materials because I plan to have them taken in once I have lost a bit more.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten rid of any clothes yet. I have lost about 25 lbs now and could wear a smaller size top. I have about 30 more pounds to go to get to my goal. I am about to do some clothes shopping but I was considering trying to alter some clothes as well so I could wear them longer. I imagine I will do a big closet purge when I get to my goal weight. I will probably donate the clothes I no longer wear.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If they're in really good shape, they stay in the closet until whenever I get around to listing them on eBay. If they're snagged or from a cheap store (Kohl's, Wal-Mart), they get donated as soon as their replacements arrive.

I end up donating most shirts because my cat always puts at least one snag in them. All the shorts sell on eBay. Since I'm not a professional eBay seller, I price them low. Even if I only make $5 (after paying eBay, paypal and postage), it's still five bucks and that can be applied to my GINORMOUS clothing budget.
  • TamLam99
    Options
    I just moved all the clothing that looks ridiculously huge on me into the other closet for now.

Now I'm waiting for that 30% off Kohl's coupon to do some shopping.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss ! I gave 7 trash bags to the good will after losing from size 14 pants to size 7 . and just now got rid of another 3 trash bags of size 7 and 6,5. I kept all size 4 . so I'm helping others by giving them great clothes and helping myself by not having cluttered closets :)
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    My biggest clothes were so pitiful I had to throw most of it away, I had 2 pairs of joggers from old navy that were about as threadbare as they could get and not fall apart. I have packed my spring/summer stuff up till next year when I can trade it at my local thrift store and I have given things to people who needed it that are not really trade in material.
    Now I am waiting trying to make a few pieces work til I get closer to goal to buy.