How long did it take for your mind to catch up to the scale?

Options
13»

Replies

• HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    @karyabc Thank you so very much for your kind words....I'm truly touched. <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    Options
    I've lost 45 lbs.

I look at myself in the mirror, and to me, I still look the same as I did when I started.

I was even looking back at some of the photos which were taking when I was up around my peak weight, and in a few of them, I see a slight difference between me then and me now. But in most I don't see a difference.
  • HB1032
    HB1032 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 35 pounds in the past 6 months. I am 5'10 F down to 155 pounds. I still feel chubby and don't feel like I look too much different from starting point :(
  • MissElectricEyeliner
    Options
    38lbs down and my mind is still lagging, but see the difference in the glass when I walk past the ice cream at the store.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I only lost 13 pounds so far (well, after restarting in June - I also had a 20 pound loss a few years ago but then had to take time out for 2 surgeries). I haven't quite hit Onederland yet, but I see and feel a difference every single day. I was always fit and at a healthy weight in my younger years, and gaining weight after a long illness was a big shock. I guess my mental image is still as a smaller person, because I'm always surprised at my larger reflection in a mirror. But definitely seeing & feeling some bones emerging, the fat layer melting away, flatter abdomen, clothes fitting looser all the time, moving a lot more comfortably, etc. It's encouraging, because I can already see where I will be in another 25 or 30 pounds.
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I started in February. Lost 55lbs now. Only last week did my mind see me as a lot thinner than I used to be!
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    the scale and my clothing show a 27 pound loss, the mirror doesn't yet.
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My son's friends father said "You are getting tiny! what are you doing??" I actually looked down at myself and then looked at him and was like "what do you mean, I am not getting shorter! there is no way I am getting shorter!" I KNOW I am smaller, but i more often then not feel like a chunky monkey. I am still in the overweight range but have gone from 18's down to 7/8 in my fav style of jeans with almost 20 lbs left to lose. Its taken me years of starting and stoping (not gaining just maintaining while i stopped), and I still feel like I am the biggest one in the group (even though I know I am not). I think it just takes time and patience and positive attitude. Some of the looking in the mirror and thinking how awesome you are and how much progress you have made. Measuring tapes help too cause, I can not tell the difference in my trouble spots, but I can see a physical measurement of them getting smaller.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I've lost 95 pounds over two years -- and unless I'm looking at a picture of myself from before I lost weight, I still think I look the same pretty often. ("Oh, well, I grew my hair out, but I don't look different.") And some of that is that I still have the same general body type. I never really took in my whole weight before -- I picked out the parts of my body I didn't like. I do the same thing now.

It's a dysfunctional habit that I try actively to break, but it still happens. The more I don't do that, the most I realize that I've changed.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    It took longer to get used to it than the number of years that I was actually very large. :)

I didn't see it all all until I had lost 80 pounds. Taking photos helps.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I still have days where I feel big, or like I'm not where I want to be, or like absolutely nothing has changed. I agree with others, pictures help. I've lost a little over 80lbs and I'm not in a healthy range for my height, CLEARLY everything has changed, my mind just doesn't always agree.

I actually had one of those days yesterday, so I delved through social media and found pictures of when I was at my heaviest and threw a few in my profile. And yeah, things have really changed. Now I'm just working on consistently seeing that in the mirror.
  • 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    For me, it took ages. I'm 18 months in and 41lbs down. A photo shoot in August 2015 confirmed for me what others saw but I couldn't see.
  • leahle0004
    leahle0004 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm down 90, and I don't see a difference yet. Logically, yes, my clothes are smaller and I can see a difference in pictures, but when I look in the mirror I see what I've always seen.