Should I throw out or donate my old baggie clothes?

Options
1235»

Replies

• lmsaa
    lmsaa Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Donate everything that you don't want to keep - don't throw it out and let it end up in landfills. That's general advice on getting rid of clothing, not a response to your question of whether to discard your too-large clothing.

Most of the bins for clothing collection that you see these days in parking lots belong to for-profit companies that sell the clothing for recycling. When I learned that, I called my local Goodwill to see whether they sell clothing for recycling, too, and they told me that they do so with the things they cannot sell. So, I used to only donate nice clothing to Goodwill and discard the rest, but now I segregate the clothing that could be resold (which I package nicely) from the clothing for recycling, which I put in bags that I label as such.

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    My aunt lost and gained weight a few times. This time she kept it off. She said the secret to her success was donating her big clothes because then she didn't have the option of going back with out it being expensive. I'd definitely donate them. I did. The only things I ended up keeping were things that still looked fine on me or were too small in the first place without me realizing (they fit better now, 20 lb down).
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success! Donate your old clothes, you don't want to have the larger sizes around the house. Besides, someone else can benefit from your success. In our area we have a chain called Savers. They take donations of clothes, furniture and other household items. The profits from the sales goes to local Boys and Girls Clubs. I have bought most of my clothes from there along my weight loss path.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    If they are not worn and tattered then donate.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I suggest a compromise: keep some mid-range stuff (the stuff you buy/bought when your halfway towards your goal), donate anything bigger. I've been on these forums long enough to see that, despite best intentions, life happens, and you may gain some weight back due to circumstances (e.g., family tragedy, loss of income, illness). It would (most likely) be a temporary slide, but at least then you would have clothes you like to wear while you get your act back together.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I called the number for a local domestic abuse shelter and made arrangements to donate all of my clothes to them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    if they're in good condition, donate them...there are always people who need clothed.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    If they are not worn and tattered then donate.

Even if they are tattered, donate. Thrift stores sort all the stuff you give. The high quality, never-worn, tags-still-on stuff they sell to an upscale consignment shop. The stuff they cannot sell they in turn donate (1) to shelters they know can use worn/stained stuff, or (2) someplace that recycles fabric. There is a fabric recycler in my town that provides income for a homeless support org. They know how to make the most of everything you give. Nothing is wasted.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Always donate! Some one out there definitely has a need...
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    IF YOU BUY ALL NEW CLOTHES AT ONE TIME, YOUR WARDROBE WILL BE VERY DATED IN A FEW YEARS.

Instead, buy some basics (you can get good quality ones at thrift stores if you look regularly, Target has plane basics that are okay, or invest in higher quality ones that you know will last). Then buy a new piece every month so you've always got something new to rotate through your wardrobe. You can change looks a lot with sweaters, scarves, or bold jewelry.

I altered my favorite clothes with the new sewing machine I splurged on. I donated any that were worn that I didn't care for. I have some I wear baggy on weekends. When I get bored with them I throw them in the 'give away' bag.

• banannerbelle
    banannerbelle Posts: 17 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Keep a piece or two as a reminder of your progress, then donate the rest- someone else will really appreciate them! Any of the really raggedy ones you can cut up to use as rags around the house.
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    hiphop10 wrote: »
    I lost 52 pounds and I had to buy some new clothes. Should I get rid of the baggie clothes? I ask this because I'd like to know what others have done.
    I just took a load of baggy clothess over to Goodwill yesterday. Felt awesome.

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Donate! :)
    I feel terrible throwing out perfectly acceptable clothes that someone else could benefit from! I do like to keep 1 or 2 pairs of jeans in my wardrobe so I can remind myself how well I've done. Definitely a good mood booster!
  • hiphop10
    hiphop10 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Well that is what I did!
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    If it's in really good condition, I donate it, but if it's scuffed/worn/stained (A lot of my old work jeans have sharpie stains where my inventory pens leaked in my pockets) I repurpose. I have several 'denim jeans' book bags, a few stuffed-sweater kitty beds, etc. There are lots of great fun ideas for repurposing on Pinterest, especially if you don't mind a little sewing/knot tying. :)
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I donated my old fat clothes. I lost over 200 pounds and had to get an entirely new wardrobe. Even some of my old shoes didn't fit. I just kept my old belt as a reminder. It doesn't take up much space. I put it on a few times a year to help me stay motivated.