Why am I failing

Options
2»

Replies

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The reason why people gain their weight back is too much calories, so eating Surplus.

the cause can be different from person to person.

But most of the time it is that the period that they lose weight they eat "skinny" products or go different than how they will sub-stain their weight in the future when they reached their goal weight.
    In other words they go crash dieting...go vegetarian, low sugar, low carb, pills, shakes whatever. But this is not the way they will eat for the rest of their lives. So when you want to eat low carb or be a vegetarian oke. When not than dont start it to lose weight.
    When reaching their goal weight at a certain point, they go back to eating what they really like or want to eat.
    Result most of the time ( not always) weight gain.

Now to avoid this...
    Eat how you want to eat your whole life. But to lose the excess weight eat less calories than you burn.
    How?.....Create a deficit. Know by weighing all your food on a scale your calorie intake and log honestly.

Now exercise, so moving will help also. But weight loss starts in the kitchen

When you reach your gaol weight this way you only have to up the calories you take in. To maintainence level.
    No change in foods at all. Just more and some more snacks etc. So you dont lose weight anymore. But also not to gain afterwards

hope that helps OP

95069916.png

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    So you added back the things you cut out and you became less active. More calories, less movement=weight gain.

Why don't you try portion control and calorie counting? Make the change.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Abram86 wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone who responded. When I first began I cut out sugar and flour. I was drinking tea without sugar, gave up the stupid sodas. I was eating chicken breast, fish and pork chops and hamburgers cooked on the George foreman. If I did use oil to cook it was coconut. I rotated the above daily and I'd eat out once a week. I used to walk on the treadmill for 1 mile a day or until i burned between 100 t0 150 calories.
    Now i drink 1 or 2 sodas a day especially when i feel stressed with my job. I don't get on the treadmill or elliptical like i used to because when i think about it after strength training i tell myself tommorow but it never happens. Idk why i hate the treadmill now. As for the elliptical i was told that was a feminine machine. As for logging I try to do that but some days I forget lol

So you're consuming more calories and exercising less. That definitely equals weight gain.

If you don't like the treadmill or the elliptical then don't do them. There's no need to if you don't want to but I've seen some pretty beefy men using the elliptical machines at my gym. I'm a big proponent of doing the things you like because you'll want to do them and not put them off to a tomorrow that never comes. If you don't do cardio, though, you have to consume less calories but 100-150 isn't really that much to worry about anyway.

I usually lift with a partner but on the occasions that I've lifted alone after I've finished a set I'll do a lap around the inside of the gym. It both gets me some extra steps (over a mile) and kills the time that I'd be sitting there just twiddling my thumbs.
  • Abram86
    Abram86 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Can some of yall take a look at my diary and let me know how I did. Also how does one go about tracking coconut oil if it's used to fry a fish? How much actually stays on the fish?
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    Options
    To me the logging that you do is not accurate
    cup of this cup of that etc etc
    Weighing your food is important specially oats

Here a short video about hundreds of difference in weighing or measuring oats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

and for the frying. Well when i use oil unfortunately i do the whole spoon So i log the spoon full and dont subtract what is left in the pan.
    Which you can btw

But i use a spray much more accurate for me. I put my pan (cold) on the scale. Zero the scale out. spray the pan and put it back on the scale...now it will give you some grams ( or a lot lol depends on how much you use)
    And there you have your amount you use for frying. Now when i take the fish you i am not going to weigh again. It is logged and that is it.
    Because i dont use much of it, i really dont going to subtract what is left over in the pan.

Looking at your dairy, you better tighten up some other things like weighing everything else instead of worrying about the left over oil in the pan.

• Abram86
    Options
    Ok thanks
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    Options
    Ok thanks

yvw good luck!

• VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I don't like ellipticals because the stance hurts my knees. But I have a weird stance, being flatfooted. If you don't like the treadmill either, have you tried stationary bikes? I quite like them. I like to push myself to go "further" each time, higher average rpms over the same time frame. Or see how fast I can sprint, and how long I can maintain it. Giving myself a goal is necessary, since the gym itself is kinda boring to look at. ;)
  • Abram86
    Options
    I am going to try to do cardiovascular at least 2 to 3 times a week
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Log your food the day before. Pre-logging works for lots of us.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Start with logging. Get a digital scale and weigh and log EVERYTHING for a week or so while eating like normal. It will be a shocker, but it will give you a baseline and help you identify patterns. Then, change one thing and give yourself a week or two to adjust it. Then change something else. It's slow, but does work.

What you need to understand is that this is not a 'diet'. What you're actually trying to do is retrain your brain and body to what normal food portions are and how to balance it. That is what makes the weight loss sustainable. You don't have to cut out your favorite foods, just adjust to eating less of them. I'm at the point that while my logging isn't as accurate as it used to be, I still log every day, though sometimes it is an estimate! But even with that, I'm still consistently at or under my calorie goal every day because I've been teaching myself how much I should be eating. It means ordering smaller meals or leaving half uneaten at restaurants if I need to (which is a HUGE hurdle for a lot of people, and still bugs me!). I have days I go over, all of us do. It doesn't make you a failure, just makes you human. Log it and start fresh next day.

As for exercise, you do what you want for exercise. If you like the elliptical, use it. Don't let some random stranger dictate what machines you can and can't use, espically for such a stupid reason. Of course, if it was a guy that said that to me, my response would be "I'm sorry, I thought catty comments were also feminine, but it didn't stop you.", but I'm a smartass and that kind of rudeness brings it out. I personally prefer the recumbent bike. Granted, it doesn't give me as good a workout, but it's easier on my back and shoulders and I can read my Kindle while I do it, so I don't notice the general aches until they become actual pain that tells me I should stop now.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    So I started my journey 2 and half years ago and within 8 months I had gone from 260 or so to 199. Fast forward to today and I'm now back to 242. I am trying to stop the upward climb in my weight but no matter what I do I'm still not losing. Where am I going wrong and why is it so hard this time around? I really don't eat too much food and I do strength training at least 3 times a week. I average about 2000 calories a day give or take. I can't figure out if I need to cut back on fat, carbs etc. Help

An interresting read: http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're eating too much. Start weighing your food and logging everything. Quite sure that's been mentioned already though!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    weigh and log everything
    aside from medical reasons, the reason why you aren't loosing weight is because you are not eating at a calorie deficit