13»

Replies

• acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    Take the bread slices. Weigh them.
    Take a butter knife, spread a thin layer of mayo, return the rest of the mayo to the jar.
    Weigh the slices again. Is it even a gram of mayo?
    Yep, it's usually 5-7g (35-50cal) for me. I just work it in to my daily calories.

I do replace the mayo in tuna salad with roasted garlic hummus.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I use a stone or dijon mustard, low cal but very flavorful
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I agree with there being all kinds of mustard; I love horseradish mustard. And durkees (which I don't actually know what it is, but it's amazing).
  • kimberlyhurt
    kimberlyhurt Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    a wedge of laughing cow cheese is great on sandwiches and light on calories
  • tiffanybrooks530
    tiffanybrooks530 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Wow! all these toppings sound good, my fav is avacado, dijon mustard, and if you still looking for more ideas I just started lemonaise...pretty good mayo alternative and they have flavors, I have the simple low fat version, but if you don't want low cal they have some other tasty looking options. http://www.gourmettrading.com/ojai-cook/
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    grey poupon, honey dijon mustard, horseradish sauce, low cal italian dressing, any sort of vinegarette, avacado spread
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'll put habanero jelly on my sandwich sometimes, I can make a turkey and cheese sandwich with habanero jelly that's under 250 calories and tastes great with the right ingredients.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Renzi27 wrote: »
    In order to keep the calories down I've been wanting to cut out the mayo, but cannot stand a dry sammie!

I'm like @standenvernet - I cut the bread. Bread is relatively low in nutritional value anyway, so I'm not missing anything. I say this as a pretty proficient bread baker... my family does miss my bread.

Instead of a sandwich if I'm packing a lunch I take something like a Ploughman's Lunch - I'm quite fond of turkey (or other meats) sausage like a kolbassa; add in some chunks of cheese, maybe some olives or pickles or pickled veg; I'd also have some non traditional items like some nuts or yogurt along with it. Sometimes a salad.

At home I'll quite often have a bread-less sandwich - 4 slices of sliced turkey + 1 slice of provolone or some other cheese = 140 calories with decent protein. Have two if you like and still about the same as a sandwich with bread. No mayo needed, not that I need an excuse to put some mayo on. I don't fear calories from mayo/fat.