Is running hindering my fat loss?!

124»

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    stealthq wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Being hypothyroid and on T3/T4 supplementation, I find it hard to believe that exercise can cause the endocrine system to malfunction like that. Some forms of hypothyroidism are an auto-immune disease and some are genetic. Mine runs in my family.

Auto-immune diseases are genetic - they are passed down through the HLA genes on chromosome 6.

OP, I agree with several others who suggest a blood test to either confirm or rule out your concern about a thyroid issue. After that, make a decision about whether you want to focus on marathon training or if you want to focus on weight loss. Don't try to multi-task this.

That's news to numerous autoimmune disease researchers out there. Lupus is not always associated with HLA mutations, for example. It was with a couple of families that had multiple members with lupus, but it doesn't hold up when applied to the general population. The most recent research into the molecular mechanisms of lupus seem to bear this out since they are not related to HLA at all, but to disruption in autophagy in certain types of cells.

I doubt it is news to any geneticist, but it is probable that some researchers (particularly those looking at it from a medical perspective) have little or no knowledge of the impact of genes on function or dysfuction of our immune responses.

Also, keep in mind that I am not talking about mutations... that gets us into a different topic altogether. Let's not add another variable because then things get complicated. FWIW, I don't disagree with you if the subject is HLA mutations. Mutations are not the subject, though.

Not wanting to get into a back and forth, but just fyi, the main group I work with are immunologists. They're not primarily looking at things from a clinical perspective, they're doing basic research including genetics, biochemistry, etc. The conclusion that everything is stemming from HLA is not holding with certain autoimmune diseases, lupus being a good example. If it did, certain members of this group could have packed their bags and gone home a long time ago.

No doubt HLA is a contributing factor in some, maybe even a majority of autoimmune cases who knows. But not all. I'll also mention that a contributing factor is not necessarily a 'cause', either.