Gym Etiquette

Options
So we all know the rules for gym etiquette, but I wanted to get an idea if im the only one who feels they should say something to someone who doesnt know what they are doing.

This morning there were three guys in the gym who were all using weights way above there capabilities. I saw one guy doing a One Armed tricep push down on a cable machine, he was obviously struggling from rep one and I could tell by his face he was about to have a stroke

Another was doing bicep curls and his body was sawying back and forth like he was on a boat

And another was doing lat pulldowns so heavy he was using his whole body to move it and when the weight would come down I was thinking it was going to yank his arms out there sockets.

Im not being a d__k just dont want to see these guy getting hurt. What do you think, should us with more experience be saying to these people (in the nicest way possible) Hey buddy, I think your using a little bit to much weight and then show them how to do it properly. Thanks

Replies

• vzz1234
    vzz1234 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    IMO, nothing is more obnoxious than unsolicited advice at the gym.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Gently offer a hint that they are not doing that correctly and then walk away as they tell you to jump in a lake (or words to that effect).
  • AriesGal329
    AriesGal329 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    ^ I agree. I know you're just trying to help, but I think it is so embarrassing to the person being helped it's better to just MYOB.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Usually I'll ignore it, but occasionally I'll try a variation on "hey, I've never seen <exercise> done that way before, I've always been told <what is supposedly the right way>. Where'd you run across that variation, and what's it supposed to do for you?". That has a couple of outcomes: either they'll think about it and maybe learn to do it right, or I'll learn something new. Or they'll just keep doing it wrong, at which point it ain't my problem.
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    It sucks, but honestly they have to want to learn to do it the right way. Your good deed is unfortunately going to make you look like the jerk. Ego lifters get their reality check when they get hurt.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    99% of the people at any public gym i've been to have horrible form or no clue what they are doing. I dont talk to anyone, its the gyms responsibility to show people how to use their equip properly.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    So we all know the rules for gym etiquette, but I wanted to get an idea if im the only one who feels they should say something to someone who doesnt know what they are doing.

This morning there were three guys in the gym who were all using weights way above there capabilities. I saw one guy doing a One Armed tricep push down on a cable machine, he was obviously struggling from rep one and I could tell by his face he was about to have a stroke

Another was doing bicep curls and his body was sawying back and forth like he was on a boat

And another was doing lat pulldowns so heavy he was using his whole body to move it and when the weight would come down I was thinking it was going to yank his arms out there sockets.

Im not being a d__k just dont want to see these guy getting hurt. What do you think, should us with more experience be saying to these people (in the nicest way possible) Hey buddy, I think your using a little bit to much weight and then show them how to do it properly. Thanks

mention it to the staff.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would only say something to someone who looked to be high schoolish or younger. Adults are free to injure themselves by doing whatever stupid thing they want. I give kids a bit more consideration.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I think it depends. If they look like a bunch of "know-it-all's" then it's probably not worth it. If they look like they're just unsure of themselves, they might appreciate a subtle hint.

I appreciate when someone walking by goes "Straighten up that ____. Keep going. Only a few more to go." But I'm a newb. :D Pairing critique with a compliment helps.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Not your problem, move on and go do your workout. The only time I offer advice is to young kids that I see with terrible form on dead lifts. Other than that, how bad are they really going to hurt themselves doing curls or tricep push downs?
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm a bit torn on this. I have a gym at work I'd like to use, but I avoid using the weights specifically because I'm not 100% sure I'd be doing it correctly. I'm terrified of looking like the ignorant n00b I am lol.

As a newbie... it would depend on your approach, I think. If someone swaggered up and said "hey, that's not how you do it," of course I would be offended and mentally tell them to go f__k themselves. But if someone came up and said something like, "hey, I don't mean to pry but I think you'll find it more comfortable to <correct way>" - maybe with some encouragement? I wouldn't mind at all! I'd be a little embarrassed, yes, but I'd actually be quite grateful they took the time to offer some advice.
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    This is why I paid so much for my home gym.
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I'd bring it up with the staff. I've been corrected by the trainers on site, and I found it very helpful.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Repeat after me
    "not my circus- not my monkeys"

so unless someone's doing something that's inherently dangerous to other/many members (for example walking around swinging a barbell in the air casually) leave it be. It's their business to educate or not educate themselves. Unless someone is asking you- then no ;don't say anything.
  • Gavin_Campbell
    Gavin_Campbell Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If I'm sharing a machine with somebody or spotting somebody, why not. I've gotten advice like that and didn't mind. Otherwise youc an spend all day at the gym correcting people.
  • urloved33
    edited September 2015
    Options
    the gym is part of your community. you entered into that community when you joined the gym. be a good community member and stay kind and be involved w and for the people in your community (the gym) and tell the staff.

It slays me when people sAy...move on. ignore it etc etc. so i am asking you to be a good community leader and don't do any of that.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    You help one person and you will end up like this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gORmiX-5PWU
  • urloved33
    edited September 2015
    Options
    being deaf dumb and blind never did any of us anything for any of us.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Repeat after me
    "not my circus- not my monkeys"

so unless someone's doing something that's inherently dangerous to other/many members (for example walking around swinging a barbell in the air casually) leave it be. It's their business to educate or not educate themselves. Unless someone is asking you- then no ;don't say anything.

This. A sports team member sandbagging it? Not my issue. A teammate needs help? My circus my monkeys and I help, just like they do for me.