Gym Etiquette

Options

Replies

• rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've seen a single person do bicep curls without swinging back and forth since 1992

My trainer will correct me the moment I do it! He is very anal about proper form and making sure his clients do not hurt themselves. When I am on my third set and very tired, he would rather me do a half curl than swing back and forth to force the complete curl.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    what is it with the word a*n*a*l being blocked here? I used it properly :blush:
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    there is a time and place to 'cheat'... but its certainly not EVERY time you do it, as I generally observe from the public these days
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I'm constantly amazed at how much attention people pay to others in the gym.

Am I the only person who focuses on what I and I alone am doing?

I notice other people while I'm looking around between sets but not to the point where I overly concern myself with what they are doing.

There is a young guy at my gym who is very thin and with very little muscle tone who does (or attempts) a million curls with way too heavy weights. His whole body just kind of waggles forward and backward as he swings the dumbbells. I see and think "oh there's Gumby again" but I wouldn't ever consider going up and trying to give him any unsolicited advice or guidance.

Why Not, if I looked like Randy Orton or somebody who looks like they have been in the gym for awhile, I would offer advice. Find out what his goals are then give him a reasonable plan to accomplish it. If he says, no thanks, then I would just walk away

He looks to be in his early 20s. I'm assuming he's heard of the internet and books. If he is interested in making a plan to meet his goals, he will search for answers. That may involve asking an actual person for help but unless and until he asks me, it's not my business. And who knows, maybe maybe his goal is longer arms, not stronger arms and Gumby curls are part of his very well thought out plan. Who I am to assume otherwise?
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    +1 on unsolicited advice. No one wants it. Leave it up to the staff. People still do tricep push downs and curls? Haven't people heard of OHP, DLs and rows to grow arms? ;)
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    vzz1234 wrote: »
    IMO, nothing is more obnoxious than unsolicited advice at the gym.

^yep
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    Wow I am real glad I did not feel the way most of these people feel when I helped scoop a drowning child out of our pool at the gym.
    . wow.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a gym, but I'm thinking of starting. I'd personally welcome any offers of help, because I know I'd be clueless! I can definitely see why it would annoy most people (especially guys) though.
  • mike_bold
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    Wow I am real glad I did not feel the way most of these people feel when I helped scoop a drowning child out of our pool at the gym.
    . wow.

Yeah cause doing curls with *kitten* form is exactly the same as saving a life. Really?
  • urloved33
    Options
    mike_bold wrote: »
    . wow.

Yeah cause doing curls with *kitten* form is exactly the same as saving a life. Really?

yr part of the community OR your not.

people who are at the gym all the time but not part of the community were all around us.

they did not notice.

and you have two kids really?????
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    . wow.

people who are at the gym all the time but not part of the community were all around us.

they did not notice.

I've got to hand it to you. You are consistent.
  • mike_bold
    Options
    yeah notice they are wearing life jackets. So they won't drown.
  • urloved33
    Options
    Well I am choosing not to be a part of this particular community or the conversation you are all having. its cold.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options

I laughed out loud
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a gym, but I'm thinking of starting. I'd personally welcome any offers of help, because I know I'd be clueless! I can definitely see why it would annoy most people (especially guys) though.

No one is saying not to help others, just wait to be asked. I get asked for help all of the time and I'm glad to oblige.

You just don't want to be "that guy" who struts around the gym offering unsolicited advice. It's really annoying.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    . wow.

they did not notice.

So, are you saying I should tell my neighbors they should get rid of the trampoline, because they are dangerous? I should step in with a parent at the store who isn't dealing with a toddler's meltdown the same way that I would? Because most people accept that those instances are really none of my business. (And trust me, I would get angry if somebody told me how I should deal with my child at the store)

But saying that I wouldn't do the above doesn't mean I won't chase after the neighbor's toddler if he happens to wander into the street when a car is coming.

Even when you are part of a community, there are points where it's appropriate to say something and points where it's best to mind your own business. Same as at the gym -- if there's imminent danger, step in; if they ask for advice, give it. Heck, if someone is straining to get the bar up on the last bench rep, be close enough to grab it if they fail (someone did that for me ... though I didn't fail, I appreciated the gesture). But sometimes you just have to let them do their thing.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    People can't do their own thing in the gym. Even take up counter space. That will get cleared away in the sweep of an arm if certain people aren't happy about it because "community".
  • caci88
    caci88 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm a pt. Telling a guy to reduce the weight is probably the hardest thing possible!! But you could gently say 'can I give you a pointer?' Then wait.. If they don't want it at least u haven't offended them!! If they say yes then you could say 'you're using so much weight in the lat pull down you're not actually focusing on your lats because your whole body has to override them to get the bar down.. If you drop the weight just slightly but maintain a steady upper body and just use your arms and shoulder blades you'll get much more lat activation'... That way you're actually helping and not just hurting their ego!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    . wow.

BAW HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

HA HA HA HA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9gt-YuCk_g
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLEKoS4RDr8

hey-sterical.