Gym Etiquette

Options

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    People can't do their own thing in the gym. Even take up counter space. That will get cleared away in the sweep of an arm if certain people aren't happy about it because "community".

That's ok though cause the owner wasn't drowning....or something
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I don't think we all know the rules for gym etiquette. So you lost me right there.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I don't think that because someone doesn't want to go around pointing out all the bad form that might result in a minor injury it means they are cold or would let a child drown. That just seems overly dramatic to me and like a false equivalence.

The fact is, pointing out all the bad form in most gyms would be a full time job and it would result in plenty of arguments too. If someone were doing something that could hurt/kill others or seriously injure/kill themselves I would speak up but otherwise I mind my own business.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I would say as a general rule to leave it. I know you mean well and have the best of intentions, but the gym can be such a weird place for people that even saying something in the kindest way can really be misconstrued. It's still unsolicited and you can't concern yourself with it.

When I first started going to the gym, I was absolutely terrified of having contact with another human. I wouldn't work in with anyone because I was too intimidated to even ask how many sets someone had left. I didn't want to have eye contact with anyone. Being the only woman and a total beginner in the weight room at a pretty bro-y gym was really hard for me. I can honestly say, and yes this is a fault of my own, that had someone approached me at the beginning, even if it was meant with kindness, I might have stopped going. I know that's fragile and pathetic but it was incredibly intimidating for me.

But ... Then I had to put my big girl pants on and just own it. Now I work in with people regularly, ask randos to spot me, and even ask people to check my form and give comments on it. I was trying to do RDLs for the first time on Monday and ended up asking a guy for help and he was great. I've now had so many positive experiences with people at the gym and it's been really rewarding.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that to me, the best gym etiquette is to be open and supportive and helpful to the best of your abilities when those beginners approach you. I am so grateful for those that have helped me. That's the best way to go about it.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    People can't do their own thing in the gym. Even take up counter space. That will get cleared away in the sweep of an arm if certain people aren't happy about it because "community".

The counter was drowning in clutter. It needed to be saved.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

It's a full time job to survey the gym, watching for cluttered counters, drowning children, and random men who might be lifting weights the wrong way. Someone has to be the community leader.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

It's a full time job to survey the gym, watching for cluttered counters, drowning children, and random men who might be lifting weights the wrong way. Someone has to be the community leader.

Don't forget the errant camel toes :D
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

must have high waisted one piece swimwear and a whistle- preference given to anyone rocking Boderek braids.
  • peggykirkby
    peggykirkby Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »

mention it to the staff.

Best advice. I'm old and no younger person is going to appreciate being corrected by me regardless of my past experience...especially since I'm an old GAL!

My own son who knows my history didn't want to be bothered...til he tore a muscle from improper form.

Gym staff is there for a reason. If they're doing their jobs right, they'll be able to approach them before they injure themselves.

Just my 2c.

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    If they are ego lifting and making a bit of a scene with it, you could always give one of these while one of them is looking at you:
    90fe5b3284ec1aa921a94e8163278fce.gif
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Haven't read other replies - are you 100% positive you know how to help them?
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    So OP when did you get certified as a CPT or Strength Coach? What qualifies you to show these guys the error of their ways?

Giving out your pearls of wisdom to people who haven't asked for it isn't 'gym etiquette' it's obnoxious.

If you feel it is your absolute duty then go see one of the trainers and mention it to them, otherwise just concentrate on your own work out
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    So OP when did you get certified as a CPT or Strength Coach? What qualifies you to show these guys the error of their ways?

Giving out your pearls of wisdom to people who haven't asked for it isn't 'gym etiquette' it's obnoxious.

If you feel it is your absolute duty then go see one of the trainers and mention it to them, otherwise just concentrate on your own work out

Good point. If someone doesn't have training/education in the field who says your advice is any better than what they are doing?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    I've never been to a gym, but I'm thinking of starting. I'd personally welcome any offers of help, because I know I'd be clueless! I can definitely see why it would annoy most people (especially guys) though.

No one is saying not to help others, just wait to be asked. I get asked for help all of the time and I'm glad to oblige.

You just don't want to be "that guy" who struts around the gym offering unsolicited advice. It's really annoying.

I'd have to agree. I've been given tips before during classes, and in those cases I wish they'd just left it alone. Once, during a BodyPump type class, a participant felt the need to correct my form while doing tricep kick backs. To me It was just disruptive and annoying, like get away from me, lady. The next one was really weird since it was the instructor herself. It was a rowing class where she kept coming over to me to tell me how to do it right. For crying out loud, I don't have to get it all in one damn day. Her weirdness continued because she would turn down the music any time I seemed like I was actually enjoying myself. Basically it seemed like this chick had banned fun in her class. **Shudders**

I can think of at least once instance where I've given tips unsolicited. In our step class, there's a certain type / color of risers that will slide if placed at the bottom of the step. The instructor will point it out if she sees or remembers, but since the participant could slide off a bench, hit her head and crack her skull open, it seems worth it to mention it to someone new to this particular class. Plus it'll save them the hassle of rearranging the risers later

Other times I do wait to be asked. I'm certainly not going to tell people that they've selected a weight that's too heavy for them. The instructors mention it as a generic tip from time to time during class, and they've obviously chosen to use an amount that has them doing the exercises with the form they do

• emilyryder87
    emilyryder87 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Let staff know.
  • floridamatty
    floridamatty Posts: 93 Member
    Options

So why is it any different than people coming on here asking or giving advice as most of us as you put it arent certified yet thousands of questions are asked in this community from diet to exercise. Plus i may not be certified but neither was Arnie or Lou Feringo and would you feel they were obnoxious if they came and gave you free advice, i doubt it!! but like them ive been doing free weights a long time so i know, yes know about proper form and i can tell the difference between someone who knows what theyre doing and someone who doesnt.

When i work out at 4am there are no gym trainers except one older woman upstairs at the front desk and shes an office clerk not a fitness coach. Also from my personal experience when i first started out I wish someone had had the balls to say hey buddy let me show you a thing or two, so get off your high horse, i was just asking a question cause just maybe theres a lot of people out there who would like help