bulking confusion

Options
So I have been reading some of these posts and I am a bit confused. Should I be getting more calories or should I carb up? I'm 6'3 and weight 215 with my goal being 230-235. This app says I should take in about 3800 calories and some websites say to carb up after a work out. So someone please help

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    To get bigger, eat more. The calories need to come from somewhere. Why not carbs?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Why do you think those things are mutually exclusive? Do both.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Hogs86 wrote: »
    So I have been reading some of these posts and I am a bit confused. Should I be getting more calories or should I carb up? I'm 6'3 and weight 215 with my goal being 230-235. This app says I should take in about 3800 calories and some websites say to carb up after a work out. So someone please help
    AliceDark wrote: »

As @AliceDark said. Do both. Set you percentages as 50% carbs, 20% protein and 30% fats. Eat away and reduce cardio.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do you know what your body fat % is?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

you need to eat calories and get a majority from carbs…so .6 to 85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat per pound of body weight; fill in rest with carbs.

IMO carbing up after a workout is not necessary..just make sure that over the course of a day you are getting all your calories and hitting micros and macros.
  • Hogs86
    Hogs86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

It's hovers around 12-15
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

It's hovers around 12-15
    Impressive. Personally, I would pick a calorie range (or let MFP), track it for 4-6 weeks and adjust as needed. Unfortunately, it's a bit of a guessing game to know exactly where you maintain, cut, bulk.

Carbs are an easy way to get calories, and as long as you hit .8-1g of protein per lb of lean body mass, then you are good.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

It's hovers around 12-15

out of curiosity, what are you using to measure body fat%?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

this.

Ultimately not gaining is self diagnosing- if you aren't gaining- you aren' eating enough. Carbs are an easy way to eat more. For the same reason people trying to lose/cut weight don't eat them- they are calorie dense- which makes them perfect for bulking- also carbs = insulin spikes = muscle growth. WINNNNNNNNNING
  • mrgoudeyman95
    mrgoudeyman95 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    85 grams of protein per pound of body weight
    I like your style.