Low calories does not equal healthy

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Usually I'm pretty nit-picky about specifics, but the OP was pretty clear to me. We see examples of things like this all the time:

- "How do I make pizza healthy?"
    - "I only eat healthy stuff like egg whites"
    - How about the post we just discussed yesterday where making rice less nutritious was called making it "healthier?"

Individual foods (with a few exceptions) aren't healthy or unhealthy; diets are.

I don't know anything about the rice thing you mention, but what's wrong with the other question and statement?
  • TrailBlazzinMN
    TrailBlazzinMN Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    "Most people think the metabolism works like this:

Cut calories → Lose weight → Have a balanced metabolism

It actually works like this:

Get a balanced metabolism → Naturally reduce calories → Lose weight effortlessly" - Dr Jade Tata

Sometimes you need to eat more than what MFP says to get a balanced metabolism. That is the most important aspect of a healthy body. Without that, skinny fat will more than likely rear it's ugly head. Some people can get away with the former equation but usually it won't last for long. If you are 50 pounds away from your fat loss goal and you hit a plateau while only consuming 1200 calories, are you going to cut more? Workout more? What if you are already working out an hour a day?

Our body is not a machine. The law of thermodynamics doesn't apply fully to the human body. According to this study, "a calorie is a calorie" actually VIOLATES the second law of thermodynamics.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC506782/?tools=bot
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Usually I'm pretty nit-picky about specifics, but the OP was pretty clear to me. We see examples of things like this all the time:

- How about the post we just discussed yesterday where making rice less nutritious was called making it "healthier?"

Individual foods (with a few exceptions) aren't healthy or unhealthy; diets are.

I don't know anything about the rice thing you mention, but what's wrong with the other question and statement?

#1 assumes pizza isn't healthy (which again, would depend on countless variables)
    #2 assumes egg whites are healthy (ditto)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Kalikel,

I appreciate your insight but I'm not talking about people who just want to lose weight. I'm talking about people who are misusing the word. Low calorie is not interchangeable with healthy. That is the topic.

Which foods are unhealthy and healthy then?
  • EatwellLivehappy
    EatwellLivehappy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Why isn't low calorie healthy or good?

I said being low calorie doesn't necessarily make something good.

You all need to learn how to read and need to get off these boards. I've been on mfp for 4 years and this is the first time I've really paid attention to these boards and all I have to say is: stop getting your information from people who don't know anything and start getting it from professionals!!
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    Kalikel,

I appreciate your insight but I'm not talking about people who just want to lose weight. I'm talking about people who are misusing the word. Low calorie is not interchangeable with healthy. That is the topic.

Which foods are unhealthy and healthy then?

I would say your question is impossible to answer without additional context. No food is inherently healthy or unhealthy without knowing the context of how it fits into an individual's overall diet and what that individual's goals are.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

#1 assumes pizza isn't healthy (which again, would depend on countless variables)

Niether of those say that, though. And using that line of thought, shouldn't we assume the OP thinks low calorie equals unhealthy?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Why isn't low calorie healthy or good?

I said being low calorie doesn't necessarily make something good.

Actually that's not what you said, though it is close.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Niether of those say that, though. And using that line of thought, shouldn't we assume the OP thinks low calorie equals unhealthy?

They don't directly say it, but they imply it.

Why would one ask how to make pizza healthy without the implicit assumption that it isn't healthy in its current state?

Why would one state they only eat healthy foods like egg whites without the implicit assumption that egg whites are healthy?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Why would one ask how to make pizza healthy without the implicit assumption that it isn't healthy in its current state?

Why would one state they only eat healthy foods like egg whites without the implicit assumption that egg whites are healthy?

Hard to say without reading the whole post for context.

Why would someone order us to stop telling people that something is "good" or "healthy" for you because it is low in calories with the implicit assumption that low calorie foods are unhealthy?

Seems a very similar assumption to make.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Why would someone order us to stop telling people that something is "good" or "healthy" for you because it is low in calories with the implicit assumption that low calorie foods are unhealthy?

I guess I'm reading the 'order' slightly differently.

I don't think the OP is assuming low cal foods are unhealthy. Nor do I think the OP is assuming low cal foods are healthy. That's the point. Without the additional context one cannot make that value judgment...so they're requesting/ordering people to stop making the judgement (in either direction) without the supporting context. At the risk of speaking for the OP, the way I read their post, they would similarly order people to stop saying low cal foods are unhealthy (were it common for that to be said, which clearly it isn't).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I don't think the OP is assuming low cal foods are unhealthy. Nor do I think the OP is assuming low cal foods are healthy. That's the point. Without the additional context one cannot make that value judgment...so they're requesting/ordering people to stop making the judgement (in either direction) without the supporting context. At the risk of speaking for the OP, the way I read their post, they would similarly order people to stop saying low cal foods are unhealthy (were it common for that to be said, which clearly it isn't).

I think low calorie foods are mostly healthy.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

If you're making that point for yourself in the context of your own diet, I have no quarrel.

If you're making that point as a blanket statement applicable to everyone, I disagree 100%
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited September 2015
    Options

If you're making that point for yourself in the context of your own diet, I have no quarrel.

If you're making that point as a blanket statement applicable to everyone, I disagree 100%

I disagree with most blanket statements. Like saying stop telling people low calorie foods are healthy, because often they are.

Although since my statement said "mostly" I think it works even as a blanket statement. o:)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure this is the context that's missing: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10252942/coffee
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Kalikel,

It depends how someone uses the word, imo.
    If someone says that " low cal " yogurt is automatically " healthy " because it's low cal, or " low cal " salad dressing is " healthier ", I 100% agree with you.
    However, if I say that my salad ( lettuce, tomato, cucumber, red onion, 3 hard boiled quail eggs, 80gr of tuna with lemon juice and lots of black pepper ) of just 230 calories is not only low cal, but also healthy, I think you would not be able to prove me wrong. Unless you mention people who have a quail egg, tuna, lemon juice or general salad fixings allergy.....for them it would be an unhealthy salad. But you know what I mean....generally speaking ...

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Pretty sure this is the context that's missing: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10252942/coffee

That just makes it more odd for me since I didn't see anyone saying low calorie = healthy in that thread.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Really? That seems pretty benign, 8 responses on a comment about switching from energy drinks to black coffee?
    Surely that isn't enough to provoke this whole separate tirade that just because something is low cal doesn't mean it is healthy... in fact, I didn't see those words in the other post, other than from this OP?

Help me out OP, I must be missing something. I don't disagree with you that low cal does not automatically equal "healthy" but I generally try not to use the word "healthy" to describe an individual food to begin with.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

I disagree with most blanket statements. Like saying stop telling people low calorie foods are healthy, because often they are.

Although since my statement said "mostly" I think it works even as a blanket statement. o:)

Well, the existence of an entire board filled with people on MFP looking to gain weight would seem to prove your 'blanket statement' incorrect as a blanket statement.

The point seems so obvious that I won't see the need to debate the issue any further, so feel free to have the last word.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Well, the existence of an entire board filled with people on MFP looking to gain weight would seem to prove your 'blanket statement' incorrect as a blanket statement.

The point seems so obvious that I won't see the need to debate the issue any further, so feel free to have the last word.

Low calorie foods are not unhealthy for those trying to gain weight. Even if ALL their food is low calorie it wouldn't necessarily mean their diet was low calorie.