Protein goals impossible?!

Options
2»

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Tofu, protein shakes, jerky, quest bars, nut butters, quinoa, string cheese, feta cheese, beans, egg whites (tuna, chicken, tilapia, mahi mahi).
  • hnaquin280
    hnaquin280 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful answers!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    hnaquin280 wrote: »
    Okay. I know I'm going to get a lot of slack for this, but please help me meet my protein goals. I really don't like meat (I usually eat maybe one or two meals a week with meat) and I especially don't like chicken. I eat a lot of eggs and shrimp, but I'm not digging the sodium content of the shrimp. I try really really hard to eat things like almonds and yogurt and foods that I know contain protein, but 89 grams seems almost impossible in one day. Any suggestions?

[Edited by MFP Staff]

Would it be easier for you to eat meat in stir fries or stews where it is small and mixed in rather than a big slab?

If it's a texture thing, different cooking techniques produce different textures.

• Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Protein powder, meats, fish, egg whites. Have you tried liquid egg whites? Just chug 'em. I use Muscle Egg, and prefer the pumpkin spice and chocolate mint brownie flavors.
    I routinely go slightly over my 140g a day. If you're lifting, your body wants it.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole egg.

Egg whites is NEVER the correct option.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms and lentils are some of my go-to sources of protein. (I make a mean mushroom meatloaf.) I'm practically pescatarian (I eat chicken once in a while) so I don't eat much meat. My average protein intake hovers between 65-80 a day, without protein shakes.
  • dragthewaters91
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and depending on the day, I can sometimes eat over 100g of protein. On a typical day I have protein sources from:
    *Breakfast: Greek yogurt, oatmeal and a shake using pea protein powder
    *Lunch: nuts and cheese
    *Snack: Kind Bar or Lentil/Snapea Crisps
    *Dinner: pasta, rice, bread, eggs, tofu, beans, etc.
  • vegemitesandwich
    vegemitesandwich Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    For yoghurt, I've found Chobani to be the highest protein by far. For example, the 140g pouch I had for lunch today had 11g of protein, vs the 4 in the yoghurt my MIL had of about the same size.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    89 g is no where near impossible.. i eat 154g a day. try eating beans, eggs, nuts, greek yogurt, protein powder/bars, peanut butter, milk, cheese, fish, etc.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you incorporate a little protein in every meal, every snack it adds up quickly. I looked up if shrimp was that bad, sodium-wise. It has about four times the sodium of roasted chicken breast, so OK. But a single serving (85g) is still only 8% of your daily requirement.