Eat to Live

Options
Are there others out there doing the Eat to Live way? I just started my 6 weeks and wanted to see if there were others.

Replies

• Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I personally am allergic to Dr. Oz.
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I didn't get this off Dr Oz....I don't watch Dr. Oz. My Breast Cancer Dr told me about it!
  • Venus_Red
    Options
    It's endorsed by him.
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    and ??
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Now, but I've seen it, I think. It's a book, right? I think I saw it at Barnes & Noble.

I have my own, personal plan. What's Eat to Live say?
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I would avoid anything with the slogan " Fast and Sustainable weight loss"

This sounds like a very restrictive diet and one that probably is not sustainable (even though it claims to be). Why not just do the calories in calories out diet instead?
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    A quick search brings up a website that looks like it's selling something Dr. Oz would endorse. So strike 1. If Dr. Oz really did endorse it I'd take it with a grain of salt...

although I'm sure Dr. Oz has already endorsed another diet involving taking grains of salt and has told people they'll lose 80lbs per week.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Are there others out there doing the Eat to Live way? I just started my 6 weeks and wanted to see if there were others.

I can't say as I'm familiar with whatever method of dieting this book is endorsing.

That said...weight loss & subsequent management is a lifelong journey. A good rule of thumb would be to pass on anything that focuses on "6 weeks" or "21 days" or a similar arbitrary timeframe.

Eat less calories than you burn (assuming weight loss is the goal). Eat mostly nutrient dense foods. Enjoy some treats occasionally. Get some exercise.

That's really all you need...no book necessary.
  • Venus_Red
    Options
    Retrain your taste buds...reverse Food addiction...prevent cancer.

This is what this book is promoting. And lying about.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

If that's the case, then I concur 100%
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Is it promising to cure cancer or did it point out that poor eating habits are linked to cancer?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat to Live -- written by Joel Fuhrman in 2004 or so -- focuses on portion control and eating a plant based diet 90% of the time.
  • Venus_Red
    Options
    Didn't say cure, I said prevent. I didn't read the dreck far enough to learn more.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I tried it once many moons ago. I think I hacked it for two whole days.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    Do a search in "Groups" for "Happy Herbivores" --- people who are doing vegan or vegetarian
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    I tried it once many moons ago. I think I hacked it for two whole days.

That's exactly how long I made it. Extremely low fat diets just aren't for me.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'd listen to my doctor if I were you, because your doctor knows your situation. That said though, this looks like a very, very restricted diet. I personally would have a hard time giving up meat and diary.
  • Venus_Red
    Options
    Your oncologist knows oncology though. I would be wary of looking to him for advice on non-cancer related weight loss.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    It has plenty of plant based fats-- olive, avocado, nuts, seeds,
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    Barbs2222 wrote: »
    I'd listen to my doctor if I were you, because your doctor knows your situation. That said though, this looks like a very, very restricted diet. I personally would have a hard time giving up meat and diary.

Breast cancer doctor =/= dietician.

I'd listen to my breast cancer doctor for proper treatment of breast cancer.

I wouldn't necessarily give their opinion on proper nutrition (or how to perform a root canal, or how to fit prescription eyeglasses) any more weight than the average joe on the street.