Eat to Live

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    It has plenty of plant based fats-- olive, avocado, nuts, seeds,

You aren't supposed to eat plenty of them though -- it's a low fat diet. I think it's about an ounce of nuts per day. I don't think that olive oil is on the plan -- oils are discouraged.
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Maybe it could be paired with the Weigh Down diet plan and you can pray it off as well as reprogramming.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Its a book with a structured plan for a low carb diet. There's dozens of different low carb diet books out there ... ie its nothing special.

The same benefits can be accomplished by making your own reduced carb plan, ensuring a calorie deficit.

Switching from a TAD plan to a low carb plan, a good portion of your initial early losses will be from lowered water retention. If you switch back later, it will all come right back.

I dont own this book or follow this specific plan, but I have been lowering my carb intake over the last 9 months or so. There are multiple sources that report health benefits from eating low carb related to PCOS, GI, IR, etc.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    pmm3437 wrote: »
    Its a book with a structured plan for a low carb diet. There's dozens of different low carb diet books out there ... ie its nothing special.

The same benefits can be accomplished by making your own reduced carb plan, ensuring a calorie deficit.

Switching from a TAD plan to a low carb plan, a good portion of your initial early losses will be from lowered water retention. If you switch back later, it will all come right back.

I dont own this book or follow this specific plan, but I have been lowering my carb intake over the last 9 months or so. There are multiple sources that report health benefits from eating low carb related to PCOS, GI, IR, etc.

No, it's not low carb. In fact, it's vegan.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    It has plenty of plant based fats-- olive, avocado, nuts, seeds,

You aren't supposed to eat plenty of them though -- it's a low fat diet. I think it's about an ounce of nuts per day. I don't think that olive oil is on the plan -- oils are discouraged.

Looks like you are right (and sounds kind of like Ornish): http://www.webmd.com/diet/eat-to-live-diet-review

What You Can Eat and What You Can't

In unlimited quantities, you may eat:

Raw veggies
    Steamed or cooked green vegetables, eggplant, mushrooms, peppers, onions, tomatoes, carrots, cauliflower, and more
    Beans and other legumes
    At least four fresh fruits per day, but no juice. You can have frozen fruit, but not canned. You can use dried fruit sparingly, as a sweet accent.

In limited quantities, you may eat:

1 cup per day of cooked starchy vegetables or whole grains (winter squash, corn, potatoes, rice, bread, cereal)
    1 ounce per day of raw nuts and seeds
    2 ounces per day of avocado (1/5 of a medium avocado is 1 ounce)
    2 tablespoons per day of dried fruit
    1 tablespoon per day of ground flaxseed

Off-limits:

Dairy products
    Animal products
    Snacks between meals
    Fruit juice
    Oils
    Processed foods

Fuhrman says it’s best to avoid alcohol if possible, but you can have one drink a day if that will help you stay on the plan.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian. I have nothing against vegan diets and respect vegans, but this?

Too much, too restrictive, not sustainable.

As for the claims with food addiction, phrases like "toxic hunger", and cancer? Those alone should be enough to send up red flags.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    pmm3437 wrote: »

No, it's not low carb. In fact, it's vegan.

^^^^^^^ Yes, this.

• Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It's also offensive that someone thinks they have the answer to staving off cancer through a food plan that can be purchased. That's exactly what this guy is making people think. Granted, if you are naive enough to buy into it it's on you-but how can he sleep at night?
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    My philosophy is: Eat to live and NOT Live to Eat as a way to control my weight. I am not a vegan or a vegetarian and according with lemurcat12 posting, that diet is waaaay to restrictive..Where is the beef (protein)?
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    A quick search brings up a website that looks like it's selling something Dr. Oz would endorse. So strike 1. If Dr. Oz really did endorse it I'd take it with a grain of salt...

although I'm sure Dr. Oz has already endorsed another diet involving taking grains of salt and has told people they'll lose 80lbs per week.

Ha! Isn't that the truth!
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    My philosophy is: Eat to live and NOT Live to Eat as a way to control my weight. I am not a vegan or a vegetarian and according with lemurcat12 posting, that diet is waaaay to restrictive..Where is the beef (protein)?

In the beans and legumes. You don't need to consume animals to get protein.

• Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Looks like lots of opinions from people who've not read or tried the plan.

I went on it for 3 months, lost 30ish pounds, and my blood numbers plummeted back to normal ranges. Sugar, triglycerides, Cholesterol were all high before hand. I didn't follow religiously, still had some lean meats, eggs, never got hungry.

I went off for about a year of trying to eyeball it, and blood numbers were back to crap, but not as bad as before Eat to Live.

I'm back on it. My numbers are back on the slide. Feel so much better with a majority of plant based foods.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited September 2015
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with a plant based diet.

Eat to Live isn't just a plant based diet, though.

It goes beyond that in dictating a macro and content balance that's very restrictive.

What's the reasoning behind it?

BTW, my numbers all went down, simply by losing weight. I eat a reasonable amount of fat and eat dairy products. You don't need to do this type of plan to improve your health markers.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Looks like lots of opinions from people who've not read or tried the plan.

I went on it for 3 months, lost 30ish pounds, and my blood numbers plummeted back to normal ranges. Sugar, triglycerides, Cholesterol were all high before hand. I didn't follow religiously, still had some lean meats, eggs, never got hungry.

I went off for about a year of trying to eyeball it, and blood numbers were back to crap, but not as bad as before Eat to Live.

I'm back on it. My numbers are back on the slide. Feel so much better with a majority of plant based foods.

Well, then you didn't do the program as written. You can't tell people they have no business commenting if they haven't tried it when you yourself went completely off the program by adding meat and eggs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I really think the point of diets like this is that they can say "oh, you don't have to keep track, eat whatever you want" (of what's included) and people will lose weight since it's really hard to overeat.

It's just as restrictive to count oz of nuts and avocado like this as to log foods, IMO, even apart from how ridiculously restrictive the food selection is, but ah, well.

I admit the main difficulty for me would be the veganism, though.

I ran calories out of curiosity and could hit my current ones but was low (65 g) on protein. Could fix that by upping the beans, I suppose and rearranging the other calories. (I'm assuming tofu is a no-go, though, since processed.)

Even with the 65 grams and about 1500 calories the fiber was off the charts (over 80), so I imagine many people would be quite full, if they are people for whom that matters.

Might create issues, though.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    being vegan is amazing and i love it

but i also love my vegan brownies and other vegan 'junk' foods sooo
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

In the beans and legumes. You don't need to consume animals to get protein.

Yes I know, but too many carbs in beans and legumes (which I do like and eat in moderation/occasional) to get minimal amount of protein. Not for me.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm very certain I won't pay anyone to tell me what I should and shouldn't eat :angry:
  • lyndahh75
    lyndahh75 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The eat to live diet by Dr. Fuhrman is also referred to as the anti cancer diet. Studies from around 2013 suggest that eating meat and dairy can lead to cancer by activating the oncogene - or something like that. Each Dr has their own belief. There are a plethora of studies to act as pros for theirs cons against the others. Who are we to say that any of these studies are wrong? There can't be harm in eating primarily plants. It is restrictive but aren't most diets? Low carb restricts carbs, low fat restricts fat, low calorie restricts calories.. Etc