Has anyone had success with walking for exercise?

Replies

• catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    I would encourage you to walk (I love it for more than physical exercise - it's one way to think, breathe, connect with the outside world and if a friend comes along, you can maintain a conversation). BUT I would also encourage you to not eat back any calories you spend from walking AND I would also encourage you to mix things up a little bit with light weight training - if you can. I used to only walk as I dislike running, but lately I have added some weight training (push ups, body squats, etc). and that has made a great difference in how I feel in both muscles and metabolically. Good luck!

Not eat back any calories from walking? Do you mean this for someone who doesn't eat at a calorie deficit?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I would encourage you to walk (I love it for more than physical exercise - it's one way to think, breathe, connect with the outside world and if a friend comes along, you can maintain a conversation). BUT I would also encourage you to not eat back any calories you spend from walking AND I would also encourage you to mix things up a little bit with light weight training - if you can. I used to only walk as I dislike running, but lately I have added some weight training (push ups, body squats, etc). and that has made a great difference in how I feel in both muscles and metabolically. Good luck!

I have to disagree with not eating walking calories back. The only exercise I do is walking, I do between 20,000-30,000 steps everyday, which equals around 15-20kms (10-12 miles). This bumps my TDEE up significantly, and allows me to eat a lot more than I could if I didn't walk.

• shizmcnally
    shizmcnally Posts: 39 Member
    ruthtruman wrote: »
    You were pretty before, but you graduated to gorgeous! Great job!

Aw thank you so much!

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    I was planning on incorporating some running. I have been faithful using my fitbit, and trying to get 10,000 step a day. I would love to see some before and after weight loss pics.

My initial loss of around 15 pounds was all just moderated calories and no less than 10k steps each day tracking with a Fitbit. The key is consistency for a few months and logging EVERYTHING that goes in.

I did end up getting back to the gym when I felt comfortable enough and wanted to start training for sports.

• ruthtruman
    ruthtruman Posts: 50 Member
    I've had 7 foot and ankle surgeries over the past 8 years and have crawled my way back to health by walking, yoga and dancing (sometimes through considerable pain). At my last check-in with my foot surgeon last month when I had a temporary set-back because of a bone spur growing beyween my ankle bones (which he was able to alieviate with a cortisone shot) I told him I had averaged over 5 miles a day walking since June 2 since buying a Fitbit. Hearing this, he took both of my hands in his and told me "NEVER stop walking; use every ounce of determination and courage to keep walking because it is the key to managing diabetes.....the saddest part of my practice is when I have to amputate toes and feet because of this disease. I don't want to ever have to take off your feet, so keep up the great work you've begun." I've lost about 20 pounds since spring with doing 5+ miles a day each and every day. I've had to power walk inside about 7 different malls this summer on a rotation basis because it's so hot here in Phoenix. I've also been religiously tracking every bite I eat; my daily calories averages about 1650 but I've had days where I have eaten more than 2500. The walking helps mitigate the damage done by the occasional high calorie days. I also try to make most of my calories high quality nutritious calories.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    ruthtruman wrote: »
    I've had 7 foot and ankle surgeries over the past 8 years and have crawled my way back to health by walking, yoga and dancing (sometimes through considerable pain). At my last check-in with my foot surgeon last month when I had a temporary set-back because of a bone spur growing beyween my ankle bones (which he was able to alieviate with a cortisone shot) I told him I had averaged over 5 miles a day walking since June 2 since buying a Fitbit. Hearing this, he took both of my hands in his and told me "NEVER stop walking; use every ounce of determination and courage to keep walking because it is the key to managing diabetes.....the saddest part of my practice is when I have to amputate toes and feet because of this disease. I don't want to ever have to take off your feet, so keep up the great work you've begun." I've lost about 20 pounds since spring with doing 5+ miles a day each and every day. I've had to power walk inside about 7 different malls this summer on a rotation basis because it's so hot here in Phoenix. I've also been religiously tracking every bite I eat; my daily calories averages about 1650 but I've had days where I have eaten more than 2500. The walking helps mitigate the damage done by the occasional high calorie days. I also try to make most of my calories high quality nutritious calories.

<3
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited September 2015
    Walking has been my main source of cardio since I started incorporating fitness into my life.

I started off barely being able to walk a 1/2 mile without huffing and puffing, but I kept going and going and going and eventually built up my stamina and endurance.

Now I walk daily. Walking has been a crucial part of my 80 pound loss and maintaining it for almost 2.5 years.

Walking energizes me, doesn't hurt, I don't need any recovery time and most importantly I look forward to it and I love my results!

I get in around 25 - 30 exercise miles in per week (not including daily steps).

I walk outdoors on a track or trail and I enjoy walking in intervals which includes fast walking for a mile, walking at a normal pace for a mile and repeat 2 or 3 times. I also do Leslie Sansone dvd's at home.

Edited to add: I also lift weights, do exercise videos and use my Pilates Reformer, but I mainly walk for exercise.

a38f458495778852a157cc6e939114b9c0da.jpg
  • Sassenach1017
    Sassenach1017 Posts: 42 Member
    Thank you guys so much!!! :)
  • bwolf84
    bwolf84 Posts: 1 Member
    I was wondering if anyone out there, has had a successful weight loss with walking? I started walking at the beginning of Jusne, it is my main form of exercise. I was planning on incorporating some running. I have been faithful using my fitbit, and trying to get 10,000 step a day. I would love to see some before and after weight loss pics.

• rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    edited September 2015
    Yes, ma'am. Down 21lbs in 3 months from walking around my neighborhood block. Took me 15 min to do a full circle and now I'm down to about 12-13 min. I also walk more briskly and pump my arms for a full power walk for 45 min, 4-5 days a week and I eat clean 80% of the time. I'm also going to incorporate strength training 3 days a week. I don't have any before/afters right now but in 9 months I'll post in the success stories/update this thread. It can be done and it's a lot easier on the joints.
  • aeharvey36
    aeharvey36 Posts: 16 Member
    When I got my fit bit zip I weighed 155. I have tweaked my diet (cut out cokes and junk food) and all I do is walk. I can walk up to 10 miles a day. Two years later I'm 125-130. Overall I'm down 55+ pounds.
  • Sassenach1017
    Sassenach1017 Posts: 42 Member
    aeharvey36 wrote: »
    When I got my fit bit zip I weighed 155. I have tweaked my diet (cut out cokes and junk food) and all I do is walk. I can walk up to 10 miles a day. Two years later I'm 125-130. Overall I'm down 55+ pounds.

Awesome!!!! Your story and the others, totally give me hope, and I'm going to continue doing, what I have been doing, counting steps, and not eat back my exercise calories, it truly seems like the longer you stay with it, you can have days were you eat more calories, and it's not a devastating blow to your diet. :)
  • georgeous66
    georgeous66 Posts: 47 Member
    All I am able to do is walk; and at times not even that due to pain. I have been walking and tracking with MFP and have lost just over 50lbs in just under 6 months. It can be done...my motivation is to stay as healthy as I can given the circumstances...and the fear of serious health conditions such as diabetes and heart disease ( both run in my family)...and of course being here for my beautiful children and amazing hubby! :)
  • islandgrrrl
    islandgrrrl Posts: 3 Member
    Yes! I started my diet March 1, went on the elliptical everyday until it got warm enough to walk and now I walk at least 10,000 steps a day. Usually more like 13k (stopped using the elliptical altogether, unless it's too hot out). I'm down 115 lbs as of today-eating 1200 calories. I'm 5'8 and 28 years old. Here's my before and after.
    SW: 299
    CW: 185
    GW: 160

n1cz5mr6sdgq.jpg

Great work !
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    I supplement walking with other exercising (lifting and kickboxing) that I do on a daily basis. Walking doesn't need instruction, a membership, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Yes, I have been successful, although it depends on how much weight you have to lose as to how hard your body needs to work in order to walk, and therefore how many calories you burn doing it. I am 6'2", was about 5kg overweight and lost 10kg in 10 weeks.

BUT - weight loss is 80% nutrition, 20% exercise. I was on a diet plan at the time called the CSIRO total wellbeing diet, which is basically low-ish calorie, high-ish protein, moderate carb diet plan by Australia's government science body, so I'd already cut out the processed rubbish which helped enormously. I think the calorie restriction/diet is what made me lose weight, but the walking kept me going. Walking is amazing and in my experience made me feel really positive and invigorated and motivated, because it was something I was good at (hah! Well I ought to be, because I'm a human and it's my primary form of locomotion!), and being outdoors in the fresh air (or even in the rain!) feels great. I think the very achievable half-hour walks on weeknights kept me on track with my diet, because it felt good and got me fit enough to do 1-1.5 beach walks on Saturdays and Sundays, and THOSE walks were probably enough to start burning real calories towards weight loss.

Walk every day. Definitely do it. But as they say, you can't outrun a bad diet - nutrition is important, too.
  • shizmcnally
    shizmcnally Posts: 39 Member
    Yes! I started my diet March 1, went on the elliptical everyday until it got warm enough to walk and now I walk at least 10,000 steps a day. Usually more like 13k (stopped using the elliptical altogether, unless it's too hot out). I'm down 115 lbs as of today-eating 1200 calories. I'm 5'8 and 28 years old. Here's my before and after.
    SW: 299
    CW: 185
    GW: 160

n1cz5mr6sdgq.jpg

Great work !

Thanks so much!
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    78 pounds lost here and I pretty much only walk for exercise.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    edited September 2015
    I dropped 100+ lbs. For the first 80 lbs, walking was my main activity, as my knees cannot take running. For the remaining 20 lbs, I joined a gym, and jumped onto the elliptical, and hit the weights. I also did a long walk on weekends.

Most importantly though, I maintained an overall calorie deficit.

Walking as exercise is great, but regardless of the exercise you do, without an accompanying net calorie deficit, you won't lose weight.

ETA- See profile for before/after pics
  • athenawj
    athenawj Posts: 23 Member
    Another walker here! I use the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds DVDs six days a week, and I supplement them by carrying and using small hand weights. Although losing 53 pounds has lightened up the load on my bad knees, it's the only exercise I feel "safe" doing (I have a recumbent bike, but I feel I get more of an all over workout with the DVDs). I agree that it's mostly been diet that has helped me lose the weight, BUT, I do eat my exercise calories back: I bank them for the weekend when my husband and I go out, or we have a family dinner with our daughter. Still lost weight, because even doing that, I was/am still at a deficit.

I love it! Good luck to you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!