Has anyone had success with walking for exercise?

Options

Replies

• 2bfit_2015
    2bfit_2015 Posts: 42 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone out there, has had a successful weight loss with walking? I started walking at the beginning of June, it is my main form of exercise. I was planning on incorporating some running. I have been faithful using my fitbit, and trying to get 10,000 step a day. I would love to see some before and after weight loss pics.

I've lost 60 lbs In 6 months walking everyday for 2 hours or more. I love it and I'm going to keep doing it for the remainder of 45 lbs to my ultimate goal ☺️ then onto strength training and toning. Success for me personally isn't just getting to goal, it's continuing and pushing my body to the next level.
  • dsccyr
    dsccyr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My total weight loss is 130 pounds. I've completed one marathon and half marathons in 10 states. I lost most of my weight by walking and have gone back to doing walking just recently. I like walking because I can do it daily without needing much recovery time. When I run I need a day (or two off) to recover from it. On a typical day, I walk 20 minutes to a bus stop on the way to work (it isn't the closest bus stop to my house) take 2-3 ten-minute walks during work breaks and then walk another 20 minutes home from the bus stop. If my work schedule doesn't correspond with the bus schedule, I walk a few blocks away from the bus terminal and catch the bus on its route rather than at the transfer center. Typically the walking amounts to 4-6 miles a day. It works out better for me than going to a gym because I incorporate the exercise into my day. I spend 70-90 minutes walking. Forty of those minutes are getting to/from work and add about 30 minutes to my total commute. In exchange for adding 30 minutes to my commute, I avoid 20 minutes of getting to a gym another 20 minutes of getting home from a gym and an hour of drooling on a treadmill while wishing I wasn't at the gym.

• dsccyr
    dsccyr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Awesome job.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone out there, has had a successful weight loss with walking? I started walking at the beginning of June, it is my main form of exercise. I was planning on incorporating some running. I have been faithful using my fitbit, and trying to get 10,000 step a day. I would love to see some before and after weight loss pics.

I started with walking and it is still the majority of my excersise (I can walk to work, takes just under an hour). My original goal was to walk a long distance path called the Great Glen Way in Scotland, which I did last year. This year I walked the Hadrian Wall Path in England, which is a little further but a lot harder due to the crags.
    Neither I could have done when I first started my MFP journey.
    Let me assure you walking round 150 km (also daily to and from the path to B&B included) within one week with a daypack and over quite steep hills is a great form of excersise :p
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I lost 100lbs walking and only running occasionally in 5k's. Consistency is the key good luck on your journey.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I started with a water aerobics class because of back issues, then started walking in addition. Yes, it works.
    about 20 lb less than my highest:
    ec0d8bab-d05a-4c69-b677-1a02721c7922_zpsjpjlq9sc.jpg

at 100 lb gone:

c228d7b3-18ee-4c44-85a4-c2c9a29cba45_zpsgn7ce8nd.jpg

58841349.png
  • tesemarie
    tesemarie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Walking is my main form of exercise. I started at an 18 minute mile and could only go 2 miles. Now I walk a 14-15 min mile, sometimes picking up to a run in intervals and do 4-5.5 miles 4-5 days a week. Since February 27,2015 to now I have lost 52 lbs doing this and eating 1200-1300 calories a day. And I have found doing this has very much strengthened my legs greatly! (Since this was up for debate in these comments)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    sure its great, but try to go up and hills and fast and then slow, etc.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Another walker, here. 65 lbs and counting, step by step. ;)

Edited to add: As my avatar suggests I took up water jogging this summer. Awesome way to exercise and no stress on the joints. :)
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    6rksrgwwuwfa.jpg

Woops! Here's my before and after!

Not sure what it is but you really remind me of Hillary Swank in P.S. I Love You. Great Job!
  • z4dow
    z4dow Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Eating less, walking more: 24 lbs since June and counting (from 141 to 117, 5'3 and 49 yo).
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I found you can burn more calories in shorter distances walking fast than running. It simply takes longer. I cannot run any longer due to some previous back injuries and nerve damage but I'm down 80 lbs today thanks to MFP calorie deficit and walking up to 4 miles a day (started at 1, then 2, then 3, then 4 miles a day). Not ready for pics just yet but will take some maybe in the spring. That's all since February 2015 by the way.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    jee_nee_us wrote: »
    I used to walk like 15 km a day. Insane , Isn't it? But I lost like 45 lbs in first three months but of course you need to create some caloric deficit in your diet as well.

• Saragirl2
    Saragirl2 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    MsElphaba wrote: »
    I work for an orthopedic surgeon and every day he tells people that walking is good for the heart but bad for the knees. While it provides a cardio burn, it does nothing for strengthening your legs. You'd be better off on a bike or an elliptical.

Oh my fricken stars! Are you kidding me? We've been walking on two feet for millions of years and now we have to ride a bike or use a elliptical because of some supposed expert. Not buying it. :(

Isn't walking considered a weight bearing exercise that helps prevent osteoporosis? I've heard that running can be tough on the knees but never walking.
  • shizmcnally
    shizmcnally Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    6rksrgwwuwfa.jpg

Not sure what it is but you really remind me of Hillary Swank in P.S. I Love You. Great Job!

Haha I'll take it! Thanks!
  • tarahughes24
    tarahughes24 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My main thing is walking too. I have a big daft dog that I love spending time with outdoors. Since getting a garmin vivosmart I've definitely sped up and I beat 10,000 steps a day easily but have never done more than 16k.

I've got osteoarthritis in my knees that's improving - not sure if it's due to weight loss (not that much lost yet tbh) or just improved muscles supporting my dodgy knees.

I'll never be a runner but I've started to add some wii workouts as I worry that I'm overexercising the dog!

I want to do a big walk one day, like the Pennine Way or Camino de Compostella.
  • niharikashukla28
    niharikashukla28 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    i walk and dance as well and have lost about 30-32 pounds
    cvs1uj72ozmn.jpg
  • Sassyk35
    Sassyk35 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    6rksrgwwuwfa.jpg

Wow Girl that's amazing! !
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I'm learning any cardio with some weight training and a healthy diet will get you results. If you aren't into heavy weights, even small weights make a difference. I started off walking but I like to count my steps. Walking teaches you a very important lesson of staying active even when you go to workout classes. So I think it's great.
  • orochiwarrior
    orochiwarrior Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have been using walking as my main form of exercise for about 5 months. I now walk from 2.5 to 4 miles a days and I have lost 55 lbs since I began using MFP back in March
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!