Should I get gastric sleeve?

Options
1235»

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Not rocket science! Cut calories! This is what you need, not a temporary surgical fix that will result in future problems.

the surgery is not temporary.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Not rocket science! Cut calories! This is what you need, not a temporary surgical fix that will result in future problems.

the surgery is not temporary.

And that is the bitter truth - the fix is temporary, but the surgery is for ever.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am always super interested in the people here who say that they "know someone" or are in a group with someone who has had this type of surgery and failed. I'm in a number of real life groups with people (incuding myself) and we all had super success.

Sure there are occasional complications but nothing like the scope of what people say they see here. I just distrust the motives of people on this forum, because they are so anti the surgery. It's like people believe here that if you aren't suffering or feeling the pain you aren't doing it the correct way.

The one thing to make note of, is that you must follow your doctors instructions. You must supplement your diet with vitamins, and get bloodwork drawn to make sure that you're getting the nutrition you need. You also must exercise and stay moving on a daily basis. And you cannot return to old eating patterns or the weight will return. Stick to the program and you will have fabulous success!

You must have missed my post :) My friend had a gastric bypass, and she did very well with it.

I just decided that after seeing that there was a lot of hard work involved on her part coupled with some drastic life-long restrictions, that I personally was capable of the hard work part on my own. I figured that if I were going to have to do the same work anyway, I might as well do it without the invasive surgery.

If someone else makes a different choice, that's cool -- as long as they realize that any form of WLS is NOT a shortcut to putting in both the mental and physical work need to lose weight and to maintain a new healthy weight.

That's kind of where I'm at now after attending a lot of bariatric surgery support group meetings as a pre-op patient & talking to others attending who are at various stages (some pre-op, most at various post-op stages) and was surprised to hear from many that their hunger returned (even with at least 80% of their stomach removed for VSG patients) or that the mal-absorbtion of calories only last for about 18-24 months (for RNY bypass patients) when I thought that would last a lifetime. At least they have the "stomach-is-full" restriction when they eat as directed so they get satisfied on a small amount of food which is a feature that has me considering it but now I feel like I get "full enough" with what I presently eat while still loosing weight. If that changes, I might give more consideration regarding surgery again but don't plan to make any decisions regarding bariatric surgery until next summer after I've had plenty of time to see how things go here.

Background: I was supposed to have bariatric surgery this summer but couldn't get all the insurance requirements out of the way in time--I still don't have them all done & won't until the end of the year but with finishing the required 6-month diet attempt I've lost over 48 pounds (& not hungry or feel deprived), got my diabetes under much better control (A1C from 11.2 down to 6.8) and recently started wondering IF my weight loss continues and IF I'll be able to get off my insulin injections by continuing to do what I'm doing now, maybe bariatric surgery won't be necessary like I once thought is was for getting myself into a healthy condition.