sigh

Options
2»

Replies

• lkm4715
    lkm4715 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    I don't know, but fix it. You sabotaged yourself so you can save yourself too.

• lkm4715
    Options
    thanks everyone....haven't checked this post until today. HAPPY to report I was back on track the next day & am more determined than ever. I think falling off the 'wagon' was necessary to reframe what I want & where I want to be 6 months & a year from now. I appreciate all the advice & support.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    A book I'd recommend reading would be "Diets Don't Work". I haven't read it for a while, but I remember it being really good -- delved into a lot psychological, behavior and environmental reasons we sabotage ourselves. Some based on childhood/family patterns we may be repeating that we're not fully aware of, some other deeper fears, etc. Really good stuff and really made me think of various issues about why/how/how often we eat.

Also, Mindless Eating is awesome. It's more about how we can unconsciously eat more than we realize from various cues -- some of which are undoubtedly manipulated by restaurants, fast food and the food industry. Also, some really interesting stuff.
  • lkm4715
    Options
    thanks....definitely going to check this out! I have lost 137 lbs.....6 to go... terrified about keeping it off
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    lkm4715 wrote: »
    thanks....definitely going to check this out! I have lost 137 lbs.....6 to go... terrified about keeping it off

Wow! 137lbs! That's a whole person!!!!!!! Mega awesome job!

If you were strong enough to lose that much weight, I have no doubt you're strong enough to keep it off. Best of luck to you! :)
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    lkm4715 wrote: »

I think that's a really common fear, for a lot of reasons. Fear of failure is one, but for me what resonated more was a fear of greater vulnerability and extra attention. When I was larger, I felt safer and stronger -- less of a target and less vulnerable to people. I also got a lot less attention from men and I found the new attention from men to be sometimes flattering and sometimes downright scary. To notice men giving me the full body up and down eye was really unsettling for me. I felt much more like a "target" when I was thinner,so I definitely self-sabotaged to some degree at different times.

I didn't realize any of this until I read the book and it was definitely a light bulb moment for me (among some others). I learned to deal with those fears and poof, no more self-sabotage.

• aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss so far! That is an awesome achievement! I can understand your fears regarding being able to keep it off. Why don't you check out some of the discussions in the Maintaing Weight section? I am not nearly there yet, but when I do get to my goal weight, I know I will have to come up with strategies to keep the weight off.
    This is a useful thread
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1422943/long-time-maintainers-how-do-you-do-it/p1
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Once you figure out all those reasons, you'll be well on your way. I suggest you talk out with a friend, partner, or counselor, and develop some specific strategies.
  • lkm4715
    Options
    Lindsey, I wanna be your new best friend, love all your supportive comments and suggestions!! As of today, total loss is 141...23 more to go even though my friends say No Way!