Tips for Running @ 250lbs+?

Options
13»

Replies

• Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Whatever store you go into, try on lots of shoes and if you get them home and they just don't quite work, by all means go get another pair. Annoy the sales clerks. They are just kids likely anyway. The one was pretty miffed at me by the time I was done picking out mine. Don't automatically assume the more expensive ones are better. I found the best fit for me was a pair of Adidas.

The comments about running being hard on you are very true. I assumed that you think you will enjoy this activity. I know people that have the jogging/long distance running bug, and personally I don't get it. I am a get on the treadmill and get it done kind of guy. I much prefer the mountain bike. What you are starting is about a lifestyle change. The absolute most important thing is you enjoy whatever activity you pick so it will become a part of your daily (or every other day) routine.

Weight lifting is awesome too. All sorts of wonderful things will come from that. If you don't like the thought of a gym there are tons of body weight exercises you can do at home.
  • apaez10318
    Options
    I just joined this site today and love it. I saw your question and wanted to share my thoughts with you. I am 300+ lbs and love the idea of running, but am afraid of snapping my legs at the knees at this weight. What I find most helpful is jogging in the swimming pool around 4 foot depth. In doing this there is no fear of falling, the water adds resistance, it much less strain on my arthritic knees, and it is something I can do and feel good about. Best of luck and I hope this tip helps. :flowerforyou:
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Also - take it SLOW.
    This one. So much! It takes a while to get used to running and while you're getting there, it's perfectly alright to go slow. I like to do this outside because you aren't looking at your speed all the time so it's easier to just go with what your body is telling you.

I have tried to start running many times but I'm doing much better this time because I joined a training group at a running store, so if you can find something like that I highly recommend it.

What else...oh. Sprinting or HIIT might be a good option if you aren't set on 'must run a 5k by october'' or something like that. It depends on your goals.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've started C25K a few times, and have dropped out, mostly because of discouragement over how slow my progress was.
    I've done the same thing. Joining an actual group of people with mentors who run with you and give you tips on form, etc.. and other people who run with you and help motivate has been massively helpful. The longest mile I ever ran getting there on my own was 14:30, and tuesday I ran a mile in 12:12. Big improvement. This morning I ran 10 min on 2 min off X3. Plus an extra run of 4 minutes at the end so I'm up to 34 minutes running. That is huge for me! I'm not as heavy as the OP. When I was I benefited greatly from the recumbent bike. It's very easy on your joints and it definately works your muscles. In fact, that's what I do at the gym on my cross training days.

I think running draws you in because it's something that seems like an accomplishment? I don't know. I completely get the appeal, but there is nothing wrong with doing a bike either. And lifting can be quite useful as well. It's probably best to combine some of it, but it's obviously up to you.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Tips for running: don't. Lift weights, if you want to do cardio you should swim because it's low impact and you can choose your intensity level.

Tips: Don't listen to that guy.....

yep. what ignorant advice..i'd say ignore that nonsense too.
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K at about 275lbs, I repeated weeks as I needed too, and refused to let it beat me!! Good shoes as everyone else has said are an essential, as is a good running bra - But most important is a determination to do it!! Become a runner - it is a great feeling being out there, and you can do it!!
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    (1) GET GOOD SOCKS (yes I am shouting)

(2) Sign up NOW for a 5K that takes place around Sep-Oct...you need a goal to keep you focused.

(3) work up to running slowly and gently...just make it your goal to cross the finish line at your 5K--walk, run or crawl.
  • knitwit0704
    knitwit0704 Posts: 376
    Options
    Applying this fact to a 150-pound runner, who has an average of 400 foot-strikes per foot per mile, during a one-mile run each foot would endure between 60 and 90 tons of force. Typical runners training from 40 to 80 miles per week could expect to expose their bodies to approximately 16,000 to 32,000 impacts per leg per week, equivalent to about 2400 to 7200 tons of force.

Force is not expressed in tons, which is a weight unit, it is expressed in Newtons, a force unit. Just saying, as I'm studying physics.
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    bumping for later. I also am 250 and want to run.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I started running around your weight, let me say first to take it slow! Running is really hard on the body and that much harder when carrying around extra weight. I used the C25K app when I started. Good shoes are a must! Stay off the concrete as much as possible as well. I recently hurt my knee running and have backed off. I'm older than you, so more prone to injury but I've decided that I'm going to do a lot more weight training before I go back to running. Also, STRETCH, very well after a warm up (I'd jog for 5 minutes or so first) and then after you're finished. Best of luck, I did find the weight coming off easier with all the calories I was burning by running but if you do feel some unusual aches and pains be sure to back off some or you'll be sidelined for much longer. Also, if you have access to a pool, running in a pool is really good exercise. I was a cross country runner in high school and we did that as part of our training.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I started running when I was about 235 lbs.

My best advise:
    *Take your time. Do run/walk intervals (mostly walking), maybe a C25k program.
    *Don't worry about speed. Pace yourself.
    *Get good running shoes. Everyone has different needs so you"ll have to find the ones that work best for you.
    *Run on the treadmill first, then slowly make your way to outdoors.
    *Don't stop, be consistent. Taking too long of a break was like starting all over again.
    *Yoga, or just a lot of stretching. Light before a run and deeper stretches after.

I'm still using a treadmill as I have a crappy right ankle and terrified of hurting it by going outdoors. I envy outside runners, and hope to be able to try it once I lose another 15-20 lbs.

I started my run at 4.5mph (run/walk), I'm now at 5.8mph going 2-3 miles at a time. I throw in inclines and sprints to keep it interesting.

Good luck! :happy:

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ZOMBIES RUN! I started a thread awhile ago but NOONE responded (perhaps the zombie apocolypse took out everyone's internet that day?)

Good for you for starting! I have one workout left on the 5k app and have 4 missions done on the full app. Friend me if you ever want to talk about the game or anything else!

I would highly recommend the Zombies, Run! 5k app. Do what the DR says! She tells you to do everything at your own pace. If you can't run, just walk. You'll get to a point where you'll just want to run.
    The 5k app is really great and the story line is set between the helicopter crash and your first offical mission (mission 2) for Abel Township.
  • katerinajulia
    katerinajulia Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    All of this advice is wonderful.
    However, I would like to suggest something. From personal experience, it's probably best to start by walking with minimal running until you lose some weight through good nutrition.
    The reason that I say this is as follows:
    I gained a lot of weight but continued to run. I acquired several stress fractures in my femur and then managed to completely fracture my femur. My orthopedic surgeon said that had I not been running, but instead had walked until I had lost some weight, I could have avoided surgery and now being on crutches.
    So please be very careful.
  • arac62
    arac62 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I started running at 250 a couple months ago!! What really helped me was interval programs (i'm using c25k, but there are tons out there). It helped my body get used to running slowly. Also don't run every day - your leg muscles and joints will need to get stronger and they'll need some rest. Also I would advise not running for more than half an hour (and maybe even less) to start. I tried to do an hour every day program about 6 months ago and i hurt myself and gave up completely. If you want to do more cardio time, ellipticals are great!
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I posted the male version of this thread a few days ago. I didn't get nearly as many responses but my feelings aren't hurt.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1023065-safe-weight-to-start-running

What I learned from that thread is covered well here: 1) get good running shoes 2) use walk/run intervals to start

I actually just got back from the store with my new running shows in tow. I'm trying c25k, tomorrow is day 2. Day 1 wasn't so bad. We'll see. I like the idea upthread to sign up for a 5k to really solidify a target date.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Definitely get fitted for shoes vs just buying a pair. When you go to a store that has staff that knows what they are doing it makes a BIG difference. They can determine the way you walk and fit you with shoes to lessen hip and back pain.

Also, C25K is a really good program to get you there.
  • RTDice
    RTDice Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    lots of good advice. I'm walking for excercise and doing about 3.9mph and thinking that jogging running has got to come soon. I use a very cheap pair of trainners at the moment (I'm saving for something better, but the mortage has to come first), it maybe a little while before I move to c25k.

Still it will give me chance to get down a bit from the 277 I currently am.

Anyway, I know it isn't my thread, but thanks everyone.
  • tabby531
    tabby531 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been a runner off and on for years - since my mid thirties. I've been off for the past year while I healed a non-running related injury and just getting back into it again myself. You've gotten some great advice here on shoes and clothing and cross training. Most importantly, build up slowly. It's not just the cardio your heart has to get used to, your body needs time to get used to taking the impact of running and time to develop the muscles needed. It will but you just have to respect the process and build up gradually and, as many posters have said, listen to your body - aches are normal, sharp pains are not. The general rule is no more than a 10% increase in time or distance every week. Most of the running programs do that but if your body needs more time, increase your time/distance even more slowly than the program says or repeat weeks until the runs feel comfortable. And hydrate well ahead of time. Don't wait until you start running to drink water - drink a bunch an hour or two ahead of time so you start your run hydrated.

I think the one thing no one has mentioned is that running is mostly mental. Yes, it's hard physical work, particularly when you're trying to build up your mileage. But the most rewarding part of becoming a runner is realizing you have the ability to overcome, you can do it even when part of your brain is telling you you can't. You will learn that you are mentally stronger than you ever thought you were and that spills over into so many areas of your life. You will have great run days where you feel like you could go forever (or at least for another 10 minutes or so!) and those are so wonderful and that's the feeling you're out there for. And you'll have days when your legs feel like lead, when the mere thought of another step is agonizing, when you feel like you're gasping for air the whole time. On those days, tell yourself you can do it. Turn up the music to tune out the voice complaining inside your head. Play mental games with yourself. Tell yourself to run to the next telephone pole, and then the one after that, and then to the corner after that, until the buzzer goes and it's time for your walk. Slow down to catch your breath if you have to, take a short extra walk if you really must, but just keep on trying. Every little bit counts and every little bit gets you closer to your goal. I find it helpful when I'm having a tough run to think something like, "hey, 3 weeks ago I could barely run a minute, now I can run 3 minutes even if they were a crappy, slow 3 minutes!" It helps me to realize that even though today wasn't a great day, I am making progress overall.

I like to run outdoors and always have, but it's a personal choice whether or not to start on the treadmill or outdoors. Wherever you feel most comfortable. I also like to run with a group and get together with a bunch of friends on a Saturday morning for a group run - we encourage each other and the weekly date keeps us all running during the week. Running buddies are great motivators! Someone mentioned joining a running clinic and that can be a good idea. A running clinic is where I met my group of friends. They often have educational talks as well as the support of a group for the actual run, and if you're a beginning runner, you can learn a lot from these, even if your schedule means you can only make one run a week with the clinic.

Most of all, be proud of yourself! You're taking a big step toward getting really fit! How many people do you know who can run 5K? Probably not that many, and in the not too distant future, you'll be one of them!
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    When I started running a few things helped.

I've got skin and fat, and I didn't want it flopping around getting in the way (and also, I'm self-conscious, sadly), so I found that tighter compression/workout pants were great to hold my belly in place.

Also the importance of a good, supportive bra cannot be understated. I wore an ill-fitting bra my first time and had to constantly pull the straps back in place, not to mention I was jiggling everywhere.

I'd also say watch how you step, and take pains not to roll on your ankle. But maybe I just walk funny.

Mostly, know that everyone is rooting for you. I refused to run for so long because I thought that someone at my weight shouldn't even try it. I was ashamed of how I would look. Turns out, no one was looking at all. Those that do are only cheering you on.

I agree with all of the above!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I know this is a super old thread. I am in the middle of couch to 5k. I've tried to start many times and dropped out. A decade (or more) ago because of sports bra issues. In the fall, but then it was too dark and I started a new job and commute. I don't like treadmills so I only run outdoors. Then the weather sucked (winter for me is rain). I am in week 3 at the moment and trying to figure out to fit in running.

A lot of the advice above assumes you have little endurance. Personally, even at 220, I haven't had issues after getting the right shoes and bra. If you haven't walked a 5k it will be harder for you. If you can easily walk 20-30 minutes at a decent pace c25k and it's clones will be fine for you. Repeat weeks as needed.

If you have knee issues, it might help to do the 200 squats program first to build strength in your legs!