What to do with beets??

Options
Happymom83
Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
So a friend gave me 4 beets from her garden...I have NO idea what to do with them...lol...I havent had a beet since I was a child...lol...Any good/yummy ideas??:)

Replies

• nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    WWMD? is what I always ask! (What would Martha do?)
    http://www.marthastewart.com/955990/roasted-beets
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Wrap in foil with a little olive oil. Roast in 300-degree oven or slow cooker for a few hours. Skins will slip right off. Slice and serve with butter, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, a touch of brown sugar. Yummy.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    My favorite iis north African style salad: scrub the beets. Now either wrap well in tin foil and roast 30-60 minutes ( depending on their size) or boil in water with a little lemon juice or vinegar. Let cool a little till you can handle, then peel ( simply rub off the skins), if using the tin foil method then open the package VERY CAREFULLY as it is full oif steam.

Now - slice, grate, or julienne, add lemon juice, salt, crushed garlic ( if you like)and a pinch of cumin. Sprinkle fresh chopped parsley on top. Also good with crumbled feta.

And weirdly enough, it is also good grated raw, with lemon, green onion, salt and pepper.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mewqptNhar1rdmaieo1_500.gif
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Quick pickled beets: Boil beets 30-60 minutes, until tender. Let them cool, then peel them and slice them (not too thin). Combine 2 cups white vinegar, a cup of sugar (don't worry, you don't eat most of it), 2 tbsp. non-iodized salt, 1 tsp. allspice berries, 1/4 tsp. cloves, 1/2 cinnamon stick, and 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced, and bring to a boil. (This is for 2 lbs. beets; adjust according to the quantity you have.) Add the beets and cook for about a minute. Cool, refrigerate, and eat within 2 weeks. (Recipe courtesy of Mark Bittman, "How to Cook Everything.")
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    juice 'em!
  • Happymom83
    Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    thanx peeps! :)
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Throw 'em away...those things are nasty.
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    I just peel them, cube them, wrap in aluminum with a little water, and heat in oven. Really good!
  • x3samanthasue
    x3samanthasue Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My roommate has this turn slicer and I slice them into these noodle-like things and eat them with salads. There's a local raw restaurant that slices beets into even thinner noodles and uses them as a base with carrot noodles for a pad-thai salad. It is to die for.
  • tfpdunn
    tfpdunn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I chop them up, toss with minced garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil and spinach and saute. Great side!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Take the above suggestions to roast them. They're so good!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    pickle those suckers! ( i have no idea how; but crunchy pickled beets are the bomb dot com!)
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I love roasted beets in my salad with goat cheese and pine nuts. Goat cheese and beets were meant to go together. Try using arugula instead of romain, etc.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    i hate pickled beets. (which is why i thought i hated beets)

until...i roasted them in foil until tender, peeled them and put them in my salads (or sometimes they don't make it in the salad- they are delicious!)

also...if you have a juicer: beet juice is amazing stuff. adds sweetness to carrot, ginger and apple juice. yummmm
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I would roast them then sprinkle feta or goat cheese and throw in spme baby spinach and some toasted walnuts with a light dressing-YUM
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Skin, slice, butter, garlic, salt, roast until tender, eat.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Roast them, eat them raw (in like a salad or such, blend them, juice them. Plenty of things you can do.
  • Geyser_Mountain_Dreamer
    Options
    I didn't get a chance to read everyone's advice so I apologize if my recommendation is repetitive. You >MUST< juice beets. I just realized after typing that that juicing beets might sound like a sexual position or perverted comment, but I swear they are delicious in a good juice! I juiced a beet yesterday as a matter of fact. Beets give a good juice an exquisite earthy flavor. Along with the juice from a beet....add apple, orange, cucumber, and carrot juice........maybe even throw in a little coconut milk. >Extremely< healthy and >extremely< delicious!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    roast them wtih garlic, carrots, onions, peppers and whatever other veggie you like. sprinkle with oil and pepper before roasting. :~) sprinkle feta on top.. mmmmm..

You can also use them in place of food coloring. The beets will turn everything red. Great for easter or a natural healthy coloring for dessert toppings, cake or whatever you want to turn red. :~)

OH! And sauttee the beet greens!! So yummy!!!