What to do with beets??

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I like to roast them...then peel and dice 'em up. Toss 'em with some homemade creamy horseradish and dill. Little S&P and you're golden. I love beets...just don't forget that you ate them and freak out the next day when you drop a deuce...
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Peel them.
    Slice them.
    Put in to a large plastic container.
    Pour a bottle of Stoly's vodka on to cover them. (Keep the bottle)
    Let sit in fridge for 3 days.
    Remove the beets and toss them.
    Strain the vodka through a coffee filter and return it to the Stoly's bottle.
    Store in the freezer.

Makes a great beet martini. Garnish with cocktail onion.
    Best Borscht ever!
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I wash and peel them, then cut them into wedges and toss with olive oil, thyme or rosemary, salt and pepper and roast them at 400F for 20 minutes (or a little longer) in a foil packet. I'm addicted to them!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I like roasted beets chilled in a salad. I make a salad of juicy orange, avocado, red onion, and beets. Can be dressed w/ just a little leftover juice from the orange, salt, pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil. Topped with sunflower kernels: heaven!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Wrap in foil.

Place in a paper bag.

Wrap in plastic.

Seal in Wax.

Bury deeply in loamy soil.

Pave over with asphalt.

That's the best thing I can recommend for them.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    Options
    There's also quarter pound beet burgers (vegetarian). They're kind of like beet latkes and they're so freakin good.

photo-3_zpse49724bc.jpg

Recipe found at http://www.theppk.com/2012/02/quarter-pounder-beet-burger/
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    There's also quarter pound beet burgers (vegetarian). They're kind of like beet latkes and they're so freakin good.

photo-3_zpse49724bc.jpg

eww_shivers.gif
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    My husband pickles them and then he adds them to boiled eggs for pickled beet eggs...bluhck!

On another note...I saw this today on Thrive Forward (thriveforward.com) - I might even be willing to give it a try:

Red Velvet Detox Smoothie

WHAT TO USE
    ½ cup raw red beets, chopped
    1 Tbsp cacao powder
    1/3 cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)
    1 cup water (lemon water may be used
    for extra detoxification benefits)
    1 serving of Vega One Nutritional Shake, Chocolate
    or your favorite chocolate flavored multi-source plant-based protein, and an added serving of
    greens.

1. Blend all ingredients until smooth and no chunks
    appear.
    2 Serve with a (re-useable) straw! Beets
    will (temporarily) tint your lips!

So far I haven't successfully eaten a beet.....I keep trying.
  • angnicolemk
    angnicolemk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You don't even need oil to roast them! Wash them, wrap in foil, roast for about an hour in 400 degree oven. Slice, add goat cheese, walnuts, little teeny bit of honey, and lots of balsamic vinegar. You can have this by itself or atop a bed of spinach. I eat this probably 6 or 7 times a month, it's amazing!
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    Options

eww_shivers.gif

Haha :laugh: Have you tried them? They're not your mom's boca burgers. These are soy-free, and essentially veggie patties. They taste nothing like meat and aren't supposed to mimic meat at all. No rubbery texture, just crispy, beety goodness :wink: They can be baked or fried, but I doubt they'd hold up on a grill... unless you used one of those veggie sheets maybe? Anyway, plenty of non-vegetarians had them at a BBQ a month ago and raved about them.
  • green_owl
    green_owl Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    make a soup! fry some onions, garlic, celery sticks. Add peeled and diced beets, stock and simmer until beets are soft. Blend it and add salt, pepper and lemon juice or vinegar to taste. Serve with dollop of sour cream.