Crap- overate by 1000 calories, is the week a total write off??

Options
Hello everyone..

Soooo I started 3 weeks ago and have been doing just dandy- lost 1.5lbs a week as planned.

Today I went out for dinner and overate by 1000 calories. Is the week a write off? What's the best loss (if any) I could hope for by my next weigh-inn? (Next Tuesday)

Current Stats- 110.8 kilos, 5'7, female, 31 years old

Has anyone been in this situation? Did you fast the next day? Eat less for the reset of the week?

Any thoughts?

Thanks all in advance

Replies

• thebobogrind
    thebobogrind Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Rest***

Oh and I'm eating 1580 calories/day....

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    No. It's not. You were barely over maintainance on one day. Keep going as you normally would. If you don't lose weight this week or not as much, NBD but I doubt it will affect you much.

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    That isn't a whole pound. Just go back and keep up what you were doing.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    This happens to us all at some point. This is what I do-
    1 don't beat yourself up
    2 consider it your treat for the week and stay on plan for the rest of the week
    3 don't punish yourself by starving or over exercising the next day. That's a set up for dangerous behavior. And usually backfires anyway.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    That isn't a whole pound. Just go back and keep up what you were doing.

To add to this, if she is losing 1.5lbs a week, her daily deficit would be about 750 calories. So one day of eating 1000 over her goal would put her at 250 calories over maintainance.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Happens to everyone once in a while. Just log it and move on. I personally wouldn't fast or do anything drastic like that. I would start a new day tomorrow and maybe incorporate some more activity, like an extra couple miles on my treadmill each day or something.

It probably isn't going to do much, but it's not a big deal and you should not punish yourself for it. If you don't lose what you want this week, try again next week.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    1.5 pounds a week is a deficit of 750 a day.

If my maths is right, it's 1.2 pounds lost for the week including you going over by 1000.

Hardly a write off.

Were you hoping people would say yes it's a write off and give you an excuse to pig out for a week?

Every day is a fresh start. If you mess up one day. Start again the next.
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    What @merkavar said - you've lost 1.333 days of your week, no big deal. Each day is a whole new game.

Osric
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Your goal is maintenance - 750 calories daily for a 1.5 pound per week planned loss. You ate goal + 1000 on one day ... or maintenance + 250 on that day.

Day 1 = +250
    Day 2 = - 750
    Day 3 = - 750
    Day 4 = - 750
    Day 5 = - 750
    Day 6 = - 750
    Day 7 = - 750

Weekly deficit 4250 rather than 5250.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    That's not enough to worry about. Seriously, just move on.

If your plan is to lose 1.5 lbs a week, that means your planning a 750 calorie deficit everyday.
    750 calories out of the 1000 you over ate your goal by puts you at maintenance calories. Leaves you with being 250 calories over what it would take for you to maintain your weight.
    (750 x 7 days) - 1000 (amount you overate) = 4250 deficit for the week
    4250/3500 = 1.2 lbs (approximate loss for the week)
  • thebobogrind
    Options
    @Merkavar ...ummm no... I wasn't looking for an excuse to pig out . I'm a little offended by that comment actually. I'm on MFP to lose weight, taking it seriously, and my question/concern was just as serious.

I find it a little sad that people on here are quick to type harsh comments (you're the first on one of my threads, but I've seen quite a few on others), especially when I believe most of us ate here after finding the courage to start on a weight loss plan, and do it for life.

Anyway moving on.

Thank you to all of the rest of the comments, and for the straight mathematical comments- that makes sense. Much appreciated!

Tomorrow is a new day! :smile:

• KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Exercise it off

It is just fuel

Use it up

If you bust behind and work it off

You may be less likely to do it again
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    Today I went out for dinner and overate by 1000 calories. Is the week a write off? What's the best loss (if any) I could hope for by my next weigh-inn? (Next Tuesday)

You overate one day, and you want to write-off the whole week?

That's 143 calories per day.

Eat 143 calories less on the other days.
    OR
    Exercise 143 calories more ... a 45 min walk each day will do it.

Or just leave it because it probably won't make much difference.

And remember, whether you overeat by 1000 cal or not, your weekly weigh-ins won't likely show a nice neat linear decline. You'll have days where you drop, days where you remain the same, and possibly even days when you go up a bit.

You've just got to stick with it.

• shadow2soul
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

You overate one day, and you want to write-off the whole week?

That's 143 calories per day.

Eat 143 calories less on the other days.
    OR
    Exercise 143 calories more ... a 45 min walk each day will do it.

Or just leave it because it probably won't make much difference.

And remember, whether you overeat by 1000 cal or not, your weekly weigh-ins won't likely show a nice neat linear decline. You'll have days where you drop, days where you remain the same, and possibly even days when you go up a bit.

You've just got to stick with it.

To add to that:
    bpvnzvm9ca58.jpg
    grey line = scale readings
    red line = trend

The scale isn't always nice.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on.

Days of going over calories happen. Dinners, birthdays, holidays, etc. They happen. Just log it and keep going.
    You can try to compensate for it by eating less in the following days or just go with a smaller deficit and lose a little less this week.

In the end, it's a drop in the bucket. Don't worry about it and get back to it tomorrow.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Exercise it off

It is just fuel

Use it up

If you bust behind and work it off

You may be less likely to do it again

^You don't have to do this, and it is OK to go over calories every once in a while. Just don't do it often.
  • thebobogrind
    Options
    Ok thank you :)

And that visual (the graph), was quite interesting- really puts things into perspective.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    Ok thank you :)

And that visual (the graph), was quite interesting- really puts things into perspective.

It's important to remember that our weight isn't a static number. It does and will fluctuate throughout the day & from day to day. Things that can effect the scale:
    • Muscles holding on to water for repairs (happens with new exercise and/or increased intensity in exercise)
    • Hormonal Water Retention (a big one is TOM, it's one that is frequently seen and asked about)
    • Higher than normal sodium intake (causes water retention that can last a few days)
    • Clothes (keep in mind if you weigh yourself clothed, you see your weight plus the weight of your clothes...jeans are heavy)
    And I'm sure there is more that I forgot to mention.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @Merkavar ...ummm no... I wasn't looking for an excuse to pig out . I'm a little offended by that comment actually. I'm on MFP to lose weight, taking it seriously, and my question/concern was just as serious.

I find it a little sad that people on here are quick to type harsh comments (you're the first on one of my threads, but I've seen quite a few on others), especially when I believe most of us ate here after finding the courage to start on a weight loss plan, and do it for life.

Anyway moving on.

Thank you to all of the rest of the comments, and for the straight mathematical comments- that makes sense. Much appreciated!

I wasn't meaning it as a harsh comment.

It just seemed like you were being overly dramatic. Like you were angling for a specific response.

You over ate one day, not even by that much and your asking if it means a write off of a whole week. As in give up this week, eat what you want and start again next week, instead of tomorrow.

I was just curious, because of your language and word choice.

Looking at other people's posts they had similar questions, that you over ate one day and you want to write off an entire week.
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

Anyway moving on.

I wasn't meaning it as a harsh comment.

It just seemed like you were being overly dramatic. Like you were angling for a specific response.

You over ate one day, not even by that much and your asking if it means a write off of a whole week. As in give up this week, eat what you want and start again next week, instead of tomorrow.

I was just curious, because of your language and word choice.

Looking at other people's posts they had similar questions, that you over ate one day and you want to write off an entire week.

No. In fact, she asked very specifically if she should fast or eat less the rest of the week.