So we are all doing this for health.. But what is your "vanity" reason?

Options
vespiquenn
vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
edited September 2015 in Motivation and Support
So it's pretty safe to say that most of us are here to gain a better understanding of health or maintain our good health. But is there another reason that you aren't so quick to admit?

Maybe it's feeling more confident naked, or maybe you like how certain things start to look (I love clavicles way too much).

So if I had to chose my one vanity reason, it would probably be my upcoming wedding in March. Although my fiancé obviously finds me attractive, I really want to "wow" him in my wedding dress.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I was decently healthy when I started this. I did it all for vanity/sexiness. Oh, and strength.
  • marybeth062
    marybeth062 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Because my face looks fat when I get over 150 lbs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    30 years ago it was for vanity. Now I do it just to keep in shape. Not that I'm a schlub in the shape department though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Bc I want to see my clavicles :o and I think they are sexy!
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I want to look better when I look in a mirror.

70044776.png
  • marsinah1
    marsinah1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    So once again I like what I see when I'm naked in the bathroom mirror.
  • ttfnweight
    ttfnweight Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Vanity for sure. It would be FAB if I could just like what I see in the mirror as I am but that being said, I wanna fit into the jeans that made my *kitten* look like a million bucks! I felt so good when I was thinner.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I think its important to take the time to "mentally take in" what you see in the mirror. Throughout this whole process. There is a certain amount of body acceptness that is important. I am overweight, I understand this. Do I love myself presently? You betcha! It doesn't mean I don't wish change, it means that I will not put any negativity toward myself in this journey. I am not full of myself, and gaze at mirrors periodically during the day. It means I embrace the bits of me, conscienously realizing that I am evolving. To look in the mirror nude and pray that this or that goes away, kind of sets you up for negativity to rear its ugly head you know?
  • mfcarley2
    mfcarley2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    oooo this is a good one. i just want to be able to get dressed more easily ie no spanx, and be able to wear the cute clothes I want to wear. I also just generally want to feel more confident :)
  • BrianJohnson2015
    BrianJohnson2015 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I want abs that look like waffles, chicks love waffles
  • jbuzzed
    jbuzzed Posts: 10,173 Member
    Options
    I wanted to fit my skinny clothes again!
  • TrailBlazzinMN
    TrailBlazzinMN Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Used to be for vanity. Now it's to stay in shape. Gains in strength and body comp transformation will happen naturally whether I choose to worry about them or not. Too many things going on in life (actual important things that make a difference) for me to worry about every little aspect about my body. I'd rather be remembered as a philanthropist than a narcissist.
  • Annr
    Options
    Agree TrailBlazzinMN....no one is going to put on your headstone..."She had Firm Arms" or "She Dieted Really Well"
  • pauldm1
    pauldm1 Posts: 38 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Pure narcissism really. I like walking in a room and looking better than 99% of the average joes in there. Life is too short not to experience these feels.
  • Annr
    Options
    Well your are looking better than 99% of the average Joes, but its spelled "Narcissism". Just needed to point that out. Don't take my criticism too hard... (I lived with comedians in the 1980's, I'm old...its what we do.)
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If you look at it a different way, beauty *is* great health. We buy products to cover our skin imperfections or make our hair more voluminous because glowing skin and lustrous hair are signs of good health. Before cosmetics, beauty came from a diverse diet, adequate exercise and rest, and a lower stress environment (to scratch the surface, but you get it). That alone helps motivate me!

But I also have the deep, dark desire of a tinier waist. A healthy body wasn't in the stars for me, but I managed to inherit a waistline that's about 25" at a squishy 5'6" 130lbs. I'm excited to see what it will be when I manage to get my body fat % down.
  • Annr
    Options
    @Vune as long as you don't take out a rib or something....like those corset-loving ladies I have read. Thats just crazy. You need to forrage thru the retro clothing...there are some amazing outfits with the side-boning that are quite classic :-)
  • pauldm1
    pauldm1 Posts: 38 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Vune wrote: »
    If you look at it a different way, beauty *is* great health. We buy products to cover our skin imperfections or make our hair more voluminous because glowing skin and lustrous hair are signs of good health. Before cosmetics, beauty came from a diverse diet, adequate exercise and rest, and a lower stress environment (to scratch the surface, but you get it). That alone helps motivate me!

But I also have the deep, dark desire of a tinier waist. A healthy body wasn't in the stars for me, but I managed to inherit a waistline that's about 25" at a squishy 5'6" 130lbs. I'm excited to see what it will be when I manage to get my body fat % down.

This is well put and it touches on something pretty important which is that the appreciation of and desire to achieve a certain standard of physical attraction isnt just superficial fluff but rather is rooted pretty deeply in the human brain for good reason. Not saying it should be at the expense of having compassion or empathy for people but the power of having a good body is very real. Being able to command respect and say a thousand things about yourself without saying a word is almost magical which is why nobody should neglect this aspect of life. Its late and im rambling a bitbut oh well.
  • yasminara
    yasminara Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Jeans. I hate stuffing myself in jeans lol!
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    i feel like i've said this before in other threads, but...well, it's relevant.

i spent most of the 50 years i've been walking this planet literally not giving a $h!t about how i looked. i loved food, so i ate. end of story. in fact, i had this standard little diatribe i'd go on if it ever came up - something along the lines of "dieting is for lazy people. anybody can stop eating...it takes dedication to stick to it...i don't always want that second helping of mashed potatoes, but i eat it because i'm committed..."

that sort of crap.

but then i found myself at a point in my life where i needed a distraction...badly...and started walking.

and kept walking.

it was the only thing that really centered me.

and one morning, i noticed my pants weren't so hard to put on.

so i got a bike and started riding the bike...and that was pretty much "game over" for me.

i went from walking to biking to finding this site...to logging my food...to joining a gym in hopes of maintaining some degree of muscle mass as i was losing weight...

and that pretty much brings us up to date - 47 pounds down since Memorial day, and finding new reasons every day to enjoy this that never occurred to me. maybe they're vanity reasons, maybe not...but here are a few:

* I can look down and see my belt buckle.
    * I just donated damn near ALL the clothes I've been wearing for the past five years or so to Goodwill.
    * I've replaced them with clothes (also bought from Goodwill, 'cuz i'm hoping to outgrow them too) that feel good when I put them on...and create the sensation that I'm folding someone else's stuff when I do laundry.
    * FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE, I'M STARTING TO FEEL SOMETHING RESEMBLING NORMAL.