So we are all doing this for health.. But what is your "vanity" reason?

Options

Replies

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and refuse to accept that all of us older folks "are thick in the middle". Why is that? We eat too much and we drink too much. We don't work out enough. I want to feel strong and confident for as long as I can, as 10 pounds ago I felt weak and "old". Now I feel lighter and stronger and agile. It feels great, like turning back the clock. In 10 more pounds I can work on maintaining, and then getting even stronger.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    I just want to not be embarrassed to take my shirt off in front of people.
  • eggmoni
    eggmoni Posts: 13 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    My vanity reason is because I want to feel and look better in my clothes (and just my body in general)! I used to be at a very healthy weight for my height and I was very comfortable with myself. Then I gained a little weight and was still fine, then I kept gaining weight and 3 years later I'm about 40 pounds over what I used to be.

I feel like my weight does not suit me. Some people still look lovely with a bit of weight on them and are healthy, but I just look so pudgy. I do not look or feel healthy. My face became too round after gaining weight and my arms/shoulders look so chubby that I never feel like wearing t-shirts because of them. I'm really looking forward to buying new clothes after I lose weight. I used to feel confident with my body, but after gaining quite a bit of weight, I always just want to hide myself. I, of course, want to be healthy, but I also want to feel good in my own skin and not feel so self-conscious about my arm fat, or a double chin, or how my stomach looks when I sit down.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Is wanting to look capable of "ripping your arm off and hitting you with the soggy bits" if you touch my family vanity?
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    My vanity reason: I wanted to resemble the person I remembered before I got fat; in the mirror I thought I saw that face every day, but in photographs... quite a different story. Oh, I also wanted to see my genitals while standing up or laying down. Just to be sure they were still there. Is that a vanity reason or a practicality reason? I'm just not sure.

More seriously... for me it really is all about health. I've seen what too much weight does to people as they age, even in my own family. I've no desire to live an increasingly poor life, plagued by mounting health issues and reduced mobility.

Maybe the ultimate vanity is wanting to be able to truly live life to the fullest and not be restricted physically from doing or trying anything.

That I also look better naked and can see my genitals and toes is simply icing.
  • carlyp79
    carlyp79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of cool, fitted style girly tees that I don't fit anymore - I want to wear them again and not feel so frumpy.My favourite concert t shirts, funny or cute tshirts that reflect my interests and personality not just whatever baggy shirt fits me.
    I have spent many a year being overweight and uncomfortable, but just prior to having my babies I was in great shape and felt so confident for the first time in my life. I want that again, especially as I will be looking at returning to work after a number of years child rearing.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Vanity, vanity, all is vanity.

I love being back in a bikini, that it is the same size I wore at 20 is a plus.

Rocking it in a slinky backless dress, and being told I had the back of a 30 yr old. (pity the face didn't match)

Being able to hike through a jungle and rappel down a waterfall with people decades younger than me.

A soon to be bride asking how to get arm definition like mine so she will look good in her strapless dress.

All vain things, but heck if that is what it takes to keep me healthy and fit into old age, I will freely admit to being shallow.

Cheers, h.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch , lookin' good! Vanity suits you very well... but all kidding aside wanting a healthy life is simply not vain but smart.

Hiking through a jungle and rappelling is hardly vanity, it's the spice of life!
  • steponebyone
    steponebyone Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Jeans, leggings without noticeable dimples, to feel really good again, and not feeling like I have to hide.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Ah yes. Vanity. I want to wear my old clothes again, I want to be able to have my stomach on show and it be flat and nice not a big round ball, I want to actually look hot in my bikini again (I wore it even as a fattie because beach and tan lines are more important to me than how whale-like I looked in said bikini) , I want my *kitten* to go up and be rounded. I want to flex and go "wow!". And now that I've gotten a taste for lifting I want to be able to lift as heavy as possible for me just to say "yeay! I can deadlift 100kilos!" ( not there yet. Sitting on 65-70).

• chrysalis2015
    chrysalis2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    1. I want to wear nice clothes. I'm finally able to shop in the "regular" department and not the plus sizes, but I still want to wear pretty clothes that look good, not huge.

2. Revenge on my husband and his mistress. She's a hot beachbody coach :angry:

3. I want to be able to go out dancing and not be achy. I want to be able to get my sexy on without worrying about my knees.

4. Did I mention revenge on my husband and his mistress? :lol:
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    pauldm1 wrote: »
    Vune wrote: »
    If you look at it a different way, beauty *is* great health. We buy products to cover our skin imperfections or make our hair more voluminous because glowing skin and lustrous hair are signs of good health. Before cosmetics, beauty came from a diverse diet, adequate exercise and rest, and a lower stress environment (to scratch the surface, but you get it). That alone helps motivate me!

But I also have the deep, dark desire of a tinier waist. A healthy body wasn't in the stars for me, but I managed to inherit a waistline that's about 25" at a squishy 5'6" 130lbs. I'm excited to see what it will be when I manage to get my body fat % down.

This is well put and it touches on something pretty important which is that the appreciation of and desire to achieve a certain standard of physical attraction isnt just superficial fluff but rather is rooted pretty deeply in the human brain for good reason. Not saying it should be at the expense of having compassion or empathy for people but the power of having a good body is very real. Being able to command respect and say a thousand things about yourself without saying a word is almost magical which is why nobody should neglect this aspect of life. Its late and im rambling a bitbut oh well.

Wow! You should ramble more! Great post.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    hamptontom wrote: »
    i feel like i've said this before in other threads, but...well, it's relevant.

i spent most of the 50 years i've been walking this planet literally not giving a $h!t about how i looked. i loved food, so i ate. end of story. in fact, i had this standard little diatribe i'd go on if it ever came up - something along the lines of "dieting is for lazy people. anybody can stop eating...it takes dedication to stick to it...i don't always want that second helping of mashed potatoes, but i eat it because i'm committed..."

that sort of crap.

but then i found myself at a point in my life where i needed a distraction...badly...and started walking.

and kept walking.

it was the only thing that really centered me.

and one morning, i noticed my pants weren't so hard to put on.

so i got a bike and started riding the bike...and that was pretty much "game over" for me.

i went from walking to biking to finding this site...to logging my food...to joining a gym in hopes of maintaining some degree of muscle mass as i was losing weight...

and that pretty much brings us up to date - 47 pounds down since Memorial day, and finding new reasons every day to enjoy this that never occurred to me. maybe they're vanity reasons, maybe not...but here are a few:

* I can look down and see my belt buckle.
    * I just donated damn near ALL the clothes I've been wearing for the past five years or so to Goodwill.
    * I've replaced them with clothes (also bought from Goodwill, 'cuz i'm hoping to outgrow them too) that feel good when I put them on...and create the sensation that I'm folding someone else's stuff when I do laundry.
    * FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE, I'M STARTING TO FEEL SOMETHING RESEMBLING NORMAL.
    ****wonderfully motivating!****
    Very, very happy for you!!
  • hayleymoran217
    hayleymoran217 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Actually, no. I'm not doing it for health reasons because my doctor said I'm only slightly overweight. My reason is to look better. When I was 17 I was actually extremely thin and underweight, but now I'm nearly 20 and I've put on lots of weight. My face looked so different nearly 3 years ago, it was slim but now it's round and chubby. So I basically want to look healthier, just not as thin as I was at 17.
    It's shocking how much of a difference weight gain can make your face look. I've lost a lot of confidence because of it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Sure vanity is a part of it for me. Who doesn't like to look good? My boobs and booty are the biggest vanity factor. I'm an older woman (51) and I want to fight the sag as much as possible. I don't want a flat booty and boobs down around my waist.
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Vanity for sure. I wanna look good and not jiggle around like jelly. If that makes me healthier along the way, cool.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I am approaching menopause and know changes are coming but want to prevent the belly bulge some women get.
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this for health reasons - but I'm not going to lie. I like that I'm getting smaller. I love it when people tell me I'm looking great. And oftentimes this are the things that keep me going.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I got tired of my kids pointing to my beer gut and asking when its due. Also happens to be the worst fat to carry too. 45 pounds later its gone.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I am doing this mainly for health reasons, but I'd love to be comfortable with myself!