Whats going wrong?

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    sheryl792 wrote: »
    I'm not using a scale but I am measuring out items via the 21 day program. My food is pretty accurate for nutrition, I scan everything I can instead of selecting.

I don't cheat or sneak in food but if I was slightly over 1 cup of lettuce or fruit, ect, the added exercise should compensate for the calories since I'm in a deficit.... so I would think.

I don't recognize this unit of measurement. Please elaborate.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I increased everything to see if I'd see the scale would start dropping...
    It appears my body is holding onto me :(

When you up exercise a lot of times you do retain water. It will go away, but you likely don't want to get too impatient and exercise super hard on 1200.

If you like podcasts at all, one I like is Sigma Nutrition (some are better than others, depending on the guest). One that might be relevant to you is this interview with Lyle McDonald: http://sigmanutrition.com/episode65/. It talks about some of the hormonal things that can make weight loss harder or slower sometimes when people don't have too much to lose and exercise like crazy on low calories.

Also, again, I really don't think you should be freaking out. At your weight 1 lb a week is really good. Better just to aim for that, on average, and not make yourself miserable. In the meantime, as you get more fit you'll look even better, regardless of the scale.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    emily_fox wrote: »
    bubbex2 wrote: »
    Muscle weighs more than fat. The way it looks, you are building muscle. The scale won't necessarily show a loss, but your clothes will. Use that as your criteria. See how things fit and how many inches you're losing. You also might be over doing the exercise. My doctor told me one of the reasons I wasn't losing was because I am exercising too much. I cut back and have shown a weight loss.

Just to clarify, muscle does not weigh more than fat. 5 lbs of muscle is equal to 5 lbs of fat...they both weigh 5 lbs. The difference is that muscle is denser than fat, therefore you'd look leaner. Can we please get away from this false notion?

This false notion is almost a daily occurrence but all we can do is to keep pointing it out. :)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I lost the 7 lbs in the first 2.5 weeks... most likely water weight, and nothing since.

Well, since it hasn't returned and you've lost inches I would say it's not just water weight. It wouldn't hurt to start using a scale though, to make sure your calories logged are as accurate as possible.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. The way it looks, you are building muscle. The scale won't necessarily show a loss, but your clothes will. Use that as your criteria. See how things fit and how many inches you're losing. You also might be over doing the exercise. My doctor told me one of the reasons I wasn't losing was because I am exercising too much. I cut back and have shown a weight loss.

1 pound of chicken weighs the same as 1 pound of tomatoes, which weighs the same as 1 pound of bacon grease, which weighs the same as 1 pound of fat
  • sheryl792
    sheryl792 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm not using a scale but I am measuring out items via the 21 day program.
    jemhh wrote: »

I am referring to the Beach Body 21 Day program.
    They supply cups that represent a food category, based on your calorie level it outlines how many 'cups' you should have of each (fill up the cup). For example green (veggies) = 1 cup. I need to consume 3 green cups (veggies) during the day.

A scale isnt a bad idea, however using the beach body cup method I shouldn't be much over my target.
    For example the protein cup = 2/3 cup or 5 oz

Yes ... Fat/Muscle weigh the same!! :wink:

Its not 7 lbs in 6 weeks... I'm still looking at it as 7lbs in 2 weeks and nothing since.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

They supply cups that represent a food category, based on your calorie level it outlines how many 'cups' you should have of each (fill up the cup). For example green (veggies) = 1 cup. I need to consume 3 green cups (veggies) during the day.

A scale isnt a bad idea, however using the beach body cup method I shouldn't be much over my target.

Its not 7 lbs in 6 weeks... I'm still looking at it as 7lbs in 2 weeks and nothing since.

I've never used the 21 Day Fix containers, but if you take a look around the forums we see a lot of reports of people who switched to weighing their food and found that the containers were letting them overeat. It works great for some people, but they aren't any more accurate than measuring cups and spoons (which have their issues).
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I see that you use cups etc

You have to weigh all your solid food on a food scale. It will make a lot of difference in the amount of calories you "think" you consume.

At 1200 calorie intake you should lose weight even without exercise.
    Look at this short eyeopener video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

When you exercise and just start out you can fluctuate retain water etc. You have to be patient. But i am afraid when you only lost in the first week like you said, that your calorie intake is more than you think.
    Happened to a lot of us

So start weighing all your food and dont use cups and spoons, that is not accurate
    And forget about serving sizes of labels too...they are almost always off. Just at a Kellog's granola bar 33 gram is 150 calories..well the bar was 40 gram so 170 calories. Yesterday same with a Fiber One bar... good for 30 calories more.
    Everything is not a lot you will say..cup of veggies, cup of fruit...so some calories here and there. But believe me it adds up. I tested it...i ate 273 calories more in one day by using cups, spoons and serving sizes.
    The MFP data base has a lot of wrong entry's btw...i made all my own. Checked them and that are the only ones i use. Hassle to start with. But at least i have a totally ( in grams) own database/dairy, which has all the entry's checked. From labels or the USDA site.
    Now i am on a 0.5 lbs loss a week....so my deficit is not big...273 calories not calculate is huge than.

So weigh your food. And when you weigh your food every single day and you exercise like you do. You WILL lose weight! :)

Good luck!

95069916.png
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

So lost some initial water weight as everyone does going in to a diet.

Likely extreme diet for you so more water weight.

Some fat too.

But now doing so much exercise while eating so little likely has body stressing out, retaining water from constantly elevated cortisol - could gain 20 lbs that way.
    This could go on for many many weeks losing fat while gaining water.

Except when the body is that stressed out - usually losing more than just fat.

Since you are following the program - why are you adding more.

Suggest you follow the program to a T - don't do more thinking that's better.

And be honest with amount to eat - they have setup parameters too that establish what the eating levels are - so confirm you were honest, not trying to cut it low to make it faster.

I wouldn't even log food then - don't need to - that's the whole point of the program.

Oh - scanned entries aren't always most accurate, as manufacturer's change their nutrition labels all the time without changing the SKU - and plenty in MFP database or wrong.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Is that 2/3 cup of ground raw chicken, shredded cooked chicken, diced chicken, chicken tenders standing on end, chicken thighs, chicken breast? That kind of measuring has a lot of wiggle room, or room for error.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    7 pounds in 6 weeks with a new exercise program sounds about right. You may have some muscle inflammation from 21 day fix and boot camp. you are working lots of different muscle groups and might feel sore most days. Don't worry, over time that will go away and you'll be so delighted with all the hard work.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

With all due respect, but no, no.
    Muscle weighs the same as fat, because a kilo is a kilo and eating 1200 calories for a woman who has exercised all her life gaining muscle is impossible.
    It ( " beginners gains " ) can be done for a very obese person who is just beginning to lose. You can't make something ( muscle ) out of nothing ( deficit ).
    The OP is just a bit impatient. Many people lose a lot in the first couple of weeks and then it takes several weeks to get going again.
    There are many possible reasons ( especially for women ) like hormones, water retention ( also several reasons) for not losing. This is why the sentence " weight loss is not linear " is so popular. Usually when eating at a proven deficit ( makes accurate weighing, measuring and logging all important ! ), sooner or later weight will come off. Most people however are not patient enough and start changing things every few days, which means that every few days they start from " zero " and it takes just so much longer to see any success.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Expensive tupperware doesn't make for a good unit of measurement. A food scale will be a lot more accurate. I have tupperware at home - take for example chicken breast - is it the whole chicken breast you're putting in the cup, chopped chicken breast, shredded, ground? Depending on the method you can probably stuff widely varying amounts in your tupperware. And is it loosely filling the tupperware, shoved in as much as you possibly can, somewhere in between? This will all affect the calories. It might not make a lot of difference when it comes to lettuce but I assume you are eating a well rounded diet and those missing calories can add up.
  • peggyasp
    peggyasp Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Just to clarify, muscle does not weigh more than fat. 5 lbs of muscle is equal to 5 lbs of fat...they both weigh 5 lbs. The difference is that muscle is denser than fat, therefore you'd look leaner. Can we please get away from this false notion?

When people say that muscle weighs more than fat, they mean per volume. 5lb of fat weighs the same as 5lb of muscle, yes (obviously), but they are far from equal. A cup of muscle will weigh more than a cup of fat. So, muscle absolutely does weigh more than fat... per volume.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    peggyasp wrote: »

When people say that muscle weighs more than fat, they mean per volume. 5lb of fat weighs the same as 5lb of muscle, yes (obviously), but they are far from equal. A cup of muscle will weigh more than a cup of fat. So, muscle absolutely does weigh more than fat... per volume.

1xaasuyesaqh.jpg
    [/quote]
  • emily_fox
    emily_fox Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    That's a great way to explain it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yeah...weigh your food.

And 7 pounds in 6 weeks. Wow. Wish I could still lose at that rate. You've done well but using a food scale will be beneficial, especially as you get closer to goal and have less room for logging error.
  • qubetha
    qubetha Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I can cram a LOT of chicken into a cup. I'll never go hungry!!
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    peggyasp wrote: »

Thank you. So tired of reading 1lb of muscle weighs the same as 1lb of fat. It's a false equivalence. It's exactly as useful as saying 1lb of oxygen weighs the same as 1lb of water. The weight isn't the issue, it's the density and volume that is.
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thank you. So tired of reading 1lb of muscle weighs the same as 1lb of fat. It's a false equivalence. It's exactly as useful as saying 1lb of oxygen weighs the same as 1lb of water. The weight isn't the issue, it's the density and volume that is.

I like this visual.

how_it_works_muscle_fat1.jpg?resize=580%2C250

Osric