Whats going wrong?

Options

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Too much exercise, lots of cortisol. Back it off.
  • sheryl792
    sheryl792 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    qubetha wrote: »
    I can cram a LOT of chicken into a cup. I'll never go hungry!![/quot

It's not cramming any food you want into a container.

The 21 Day Fix program has various size cups for each food group. The program is not focused on exact calories but on portion control. Yes you could cut chicken up in big chunks or grind it, in the end you should be consuming 1 portion equal to 2/3 cup or 5 oz. 5 oz of chicken ground up is the same as 5 oz cubed right?
    The program does note that some things do not 'fit' exactly into the containers so it is a guide for the portion.

The 21 Day Fix program is set up very well for nutrition. If you haven't heard of it you should google it before making ridiculous comments.

For a tidbit for those who haven't heard of the Beach Body 21 Day Fix I've had several friends do this and have lost approx 6lbs and up to 11 inches in 21 days just on portion control and their 30 min DVD. I have to say I like the DVDs very much there are some good moves.

• sheryl792
    Options
    1xaasuyesaqh.jpg
    [/quote][/quote]

I have always thought its interesting about body types... The girl weighing 137lb looks better than the others.
    It would be interesting to see what the body fat % was for each.
    Obviously I would be ok weighing more if my body fat% was down and I was super cut.
    But... being 5-3 unless you have a body builder type body and build lots of muscle I have a hard time thinking I could still weigh 140 if my bodyfat was low. (yes i have muscle and lift but to tone)

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    @sheryl792 It is clear that the system you are attempting to defend is not working for you. That measuring volume rather than weight of your foods isn't working.

OR you could keep telling others who are successfully losing/maintaining weight to Google a system sold by a MLM firm that is working so well for you that you had to start a thread asking what you're doing wrong?
  • sheryl792
    Options
    @sheryl792 It is clear that the system you are attempting to defend is not working for you. That measuring volume rather than weight of your foods isn't working.

OR you could keep telling others who are successfully losing/maintaining weight to Google a system sold by a MLM firm that is working so well for you that you had to start a thread asking what you're doing wrong?

Yes I do need to defend myself because you cant tell a whole story in a paragraph. In case you didnt read the above I was asked what the 21 day fix is. I am only a week into the program and have incorporated it as a guide to see if my food and portions were on target.
    Unfortunately you get responses from people that are ridiculous when they are posting something when they havent read what the thread is really about (maybe like you).

I am thankful for the people who HAVE given some good advice and fitness reminders... such as
    lemurcat12 pointing me to a link to read up on. And queenliz99 for reminding me that different body types can weigh differently and still have great results.

Really if you want to shoot someone down read the thread first, and if you have nothing good to say dont say anything. Someone shouldn't have to defend what they are trying to explain.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Sheryl, it can be hard to admit that something we are dong is wrong-especially if you've spent money on it. But if you went to the trouble to create a thread about it, you KNOW something is wrong. So, after reading the responses, why do you think it is?

Why don't you try an experiment. Pick up a food scale for 10-20 bucks at your local walmart or whatever. Come home and portion out your food in the containers, then weigh the portion and see how close you are coming.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    I have read your posts along with the replies.You are the one that started the thread and then defended the system that obviously isn't working for you.

Quite simply you are using a volume metric when caloric estimations for solid foods are based upon a relationship to weight. The confirmation bias based upon your purchasing the product does not change the inherent issue at hand.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Too much exercise, lots of cortisol. Back it off.

No.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    sheryl792 wrote: »
    qubetha wrote: »
    I can cram a LOT of chicken into a cup. I'll never go hungry!![/quot

It's not cramming any food you want into a container.

The 21 Day Fix program has various size cups for each food group. The program is not focused on exact calories but on portion control. Yes you could cut chicken up in big chunks or grind it, in the end you should be consuming 1 portion equal to 2/3 cup or 5 oz. 5 oz of chicken ground up is the same as 5 oz cubed right?
    The program does note that some things do not 'fit' exactly into the containers so it is a guide for the portion.

The 21 Day Fix program is set up very well for nutrition. If you haven't heard of it you should google it before making ridiculous comments.

For a tidbit for those who haven't heard of the Beach Body 21 Day Fix I've had several friends do this and have lost approx 6lbs and up to 11 inches in 21 days just on portion control and their 30 min DVD. I have to say I like the DVDs very much there are some good moves.

The problem is that, if you are quite a bit overweight, focusing just on portion control rather than being exact with calorie counting can be very helpful. I started at 202.5 and dropped to the high 160s just by eating "normal" serving sizes. At a certain point, though, I needed to buckle down and get more exact because eyeballing portion sizes was no longer working. That's where you are. You are not obese. I don't think that you are even overweight enough for eyeballing/estimating to work for you.

Weighing your food is the most exact way to count your calories. That's because 100 grams of chicken weighs 100 grams. 2/3 cup of chicken can weigh 100 grams or 125 grams or 75 grams. There's no way of knowing and that is a huge variation (25% in either direction.) If you wanted somebody to sew you a dress would you expect it to look better if the person cut the fabric based on a pattern made from your measurements or if the person grabbed the shears and freehanded it? Accuracy is important.

Finally, your friends lost 6 lbs in 21 days (3 weeks.) What happened after that? How heavy were they to start with? You lost 7 pounds in two weeks which, even though it surely included a fair bit of water weight, already passed your friends' results. What more do you want? If it's a long term solution, take long term action. Don't base your long term solution on something called the 21 Day Fix.
  • jennylynne77
    jennylynne77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of cardio and not a lot of calories. Cut back on the cardio, up the calories. Do you take diet breaks? Maybe eat at maintenance for awhile. Also maybe don't rely on scale weight so much. How much protein are you eating? You want to eat plenty of protein to decrease muscle loss.

I came across this yesterday on Tim Ferriss website.
    Rule #1: Avoid “white” starchy carbohydrates (or those that can be white). This means all bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, and grains. If you have to ask, don’t eat it.
    Rule #2: Eat the same few meals over and over again, especially for breakfast and lunch. You already do this; you’re just picking new default meals.
    Rule #3: Don’t drink calories. Exception: 1-2 glasses of dry red wine per night is allowed.
    Rule #4: Don’t eat fruit. (Fructose –> glycerol phosphate –> more bodyfat, more or less.) Avocado and tomatoes are excepted.
    Rule #5: Take one day off per week and go nuts. I choose and recommend Saturday.

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2012/07/12/how-to-lose-100-pounds/

More Lyle McDonald. Lots of good information on fat loss on his website.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK4_rSFdkTo

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of cardio and not a lot of calories. Cut back on the cardio, up the calories. Do you take diet breaks? Maybe eat at maintenance for awhile. Also maybe don't rely on scale weight so much. How much protein are you eating? You want to eat plenty of protein to decrease muscle loss.

Rule #1: Avoid “white” starchy carbohydrates (or those that can be white). This means all bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, and grains. If you have to ask, don’t eat it.
    Rule #2: Eat the same few meals over and over again, especially for breakfast and lunch. You already do this; you’re just picking new default meals.
    Rule #3: Don’t drink calories. Exception: 1-2 glasses of dry red wine per night is allowed.
    Rule #4: Don’t eat fruit. (Fructose –> glycerol phosphate –> more bodyfat, more or less.) Avocado and tomatoes are excepted.
    Rule #5: Take one day off per week and go nuts. I choose and recommend Saturday.

go away
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    peggyasp wrote: »

When people say that muscle weighs more than fat, they mean per volume. 5lb of fat weighs the same as 5lb of muscle, yes (obviously), but they are far from equal. A cup of muscle will weigh more than a cup of fat. So, muscle absolutely does weigh more than fat... per volume.

YES! THIS! This explains why you can be the same weight but have better measurements.

• JamestheLiar
    JamestheLiar Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    emily_fox wrote: »
    bubbex2 wrote: »
    Muscle weighs more than fat. The way it looks, you are building muscle. The scale won't necessarily show a loss, but your clothes will. Use that as your criteria. See how things fit and how many inches you're losing. You also might be over doing the exercise. My doctor told me one of the reasons I wasn't losing was because I am exercising too much. I cut back and have shown a weight loss.

Just to clarify, muscle does not weigh more than fat. 5 lbs of muscle is equal to 5 lbs of fat...they both weigh 5 lbs. The difference is that muscle is denser than fat, therefore you'd look leaner. Can we please get away from this false notion?

When people say that muscle weighs more than fat, they mean per volume. 5lb of fat weighs the same as 5lb of muscle, yes (obviously), but they are far from equal. A cup of muscle will weigh more than a cup of fat. So, muscle absolutely does weigh more than fat... per volume.

AMEN @peggyasp

So we're clear. Muscle absolutely weighs more than fat. We know this is true because @emily_fox inadvertantly proved her own argument wrong when she said "muscle is denser than fat."

More density = More mass per volume.
    More mass = More weight (here on planet Earth).

It's physics. You can't fight physics. So now ... can we please put this 1lb = 1lb argument to rest? It is insulting to ALMOST everyone's intelligence.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. The way it looks, you are building muscle. The scale won't necessarily show a loss, but your clothes will. Use that as your criteria. See how things fit and how many inches you're losing. You also might be over doing the exercise. My doctor told me one of the reasons I wasn't losing was because I am exercising too much. I cut back and have shown a weight loss.

Just to clarify, muscle does not weigh more than fat. 5 lbs of muscle is equal to 5 lbs of fat...they both weigh 5 lbs. The difference is that muscle is denser than fat, therefore you'd look leaner. Can we please get away from this false notion?

AMEN @peggyasp

So we're clear. Muscle absolutely weighs more than fat. We know this is true because @emily_fox inadvertantly proved her own argument wrong when she said "muscle is denser than fat."

It's physics. You can't fight physics. So now ... can we please put this 1lb = 1lb argument to rest? It is insulting to ALMOST everyone's intelligence.

You made an assumption that volume remains the same when the statement is a comparison of only weight. Therefore your rant fails a simple logic check.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    You have been eating more than you think.

It's that simple.

If it continues, and you need it to change, get a scale and start actually weighing your food.

Good luck! :drinker:
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The problem with all this arguing over muscle and fat is that it has NOTHING to do with the OP's question. We are talking about 6 weeks - no matter what she is doing, she has not gained enough muscle to affect her scale weight noticeably.

OP, measuring your food in containers, or measuring cups, or whatever is not as accurate as weighing. If you aren't losing at the rate you want, try the most accurate measurement of what you're eating for a few weeks and see if it helps. Easy peasy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    sheryl792 wrote: »
    1xaasuyesaqh.jpg
    [/quote]

I have always thought its interesting about body types... The girl weighing 137lb looks better than the others.
    It would be interesting to see what the body fat % was for each.
    Obviously I would be ok weighing more if my body fat% was down and I was super cut.
    But... being 5-3 unless you have a body builder type body and build lots of muscle I have a hard time thinking I could still weigh 140 if my bodyfat was low. (yes i have muscle and lift but to tone)

[/quote]

Same girl after she spent a good bit of time with weights.

I am 5'3 and my initial goal is 118 (125 now), but then I want to build muscle. My trainer is 5'3 and close to 140 and she looks fabulous and thinner than I do.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

AMEN @peggyasp

The problem with the claim is that people trot it out when someone isn't losing. No one is building 1 lb of muscle per week that obscures the 1 lb of fat lost. Especially not a woman eating at a deficit. Yet people constantly say "maybe you are building muscle, muscle weighs more than fat" in such circumstances, often when the person is only doing cardio.

More often than not if someone is strength training or increasing exercise the issue is water weight. (Or not eating at a deficit -- but here I think it's water weight and the fat loss catching up with the initial water loss.)
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Fantastic progress! Don't be so hard on yourself - you are losing at a great rate :)

^^^^^^This!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Terrible advice.