Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is 40-50g of protein in a day a problem?

kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
edited September 2015 in Food and Nutrition
For a while I was eating more protein-rich foods to be closer to the protein goal for the day, but I got really sick of greek yogurt (and hemp hearts) and really wanted a piece of solid toast in the morning. Also my dietician told me to eat less dairy, so I've worked on decreasing it. I also got really sick of peanuts as a snack, and substituted almonds. I was eating more eggs, but she told me that one egg a day hits the maximum daily dose for cholesterol, so I haven't really been eating those lately either.

Just making these small changes have appeared to have a big impact on my protein consumption. It went down a lot. For a few days, I've checked my goals at the end of the day and see a protein number in the 40s or 50s. Is this a problem? I'm eating a protein-rich food at every meal, and even for some snacks, but I'm just not hitting the mark anymore :/

My daily goal set my MFP is 73g (eating 1450cal), and I wasn't worried when I was getting about 60g, but I can't figure out if this is too low. I googled it, but I just kept getting info on bodybuilders aiming for 40g/meal... (I also don't like meat, so if it's the main protein source I tend to eat less). I realized today I only had 40g, and had some more almonds, but it only brought it up to 43g.

I just want to know if it's something I should worry about or not. I'm a girl, 5'2", currently about 180lbs, trying to lose weight, not very active at the moment, very stressed (in general). I'd like not to worry about it, but it's so low compared to the goal *shrugs*

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    That seems low to me. If I were you, I would want to lose fat but try to maintain LBM and personally would shoot for 125 at the lowest, and 145 at the highest.

Do you have high cholesterol? Just wondering why your dietitian told you to stop eating eggs.

There are also some foods like P28 pancakes that have add, extra protein. Perhaps you'd enjoy something like that for breakfast in the morning.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    I'm struggling with protein as well. I'm not a big meat fan either, but I'm fighting the fight. Can you do chicken in a big salad? Peanut butter? What about just egg whites if there's a cholesterol concern? I've been eating steel cut oatmeal which has a decent amount of protein. Rice and beans might be good for you too.
  • chey282
    chey282 Posts: 96 Member
    Protein shakes might be an option, you can either get powder and mix it or get the premixed for convenience.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Even if cholesterol is an issue, eggs do not have to be avoided. Eggs are one of the best sources of protein you can eat (milk is close as well but it has other issues for some folks).
  • kiela64
    @arditarose Thanks! I don't have high cholesterol, she was giving me the general rule. If people have high cholesterol she said she recommends to never eat eggs. OMG really, 125g of protein?! I have zero comprehension of what that even looks like....

@cnbbnc Thanks! I'm not a chicken fan, actually, I really hate it :/ I have peanut butter! Rather frequently, haha :) It seems a waste to just throw out the yolk though... Yep! I have what feels like a lot of legumes! I have lentils and chickpeas quite frequently, today I had a half cup of chickpeas with lunch, and some rice, which was really yummy! But even with extra almonds that meal only came to 12g of protein.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    "The Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) for both men and women is 0.80 g of good quality protein/kg body weight/d and is based on careful analyses of available nitrogen balance studies."
    --The National Academies of Science. nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10490&page=589

So, yes, 40-50 g of protein per day seems like a problem in the long run -- you're constantly running 25% to 40% below what you need. (.80 X 180/2.2 = 65.5 g)

But since it's your dietician who's causing the problem by steering you away from dairy and eggs, you might ask her what she recommends. Why does she think you should eat less dairy? And the USDA advisory panel for the 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommended eliminating warnings against dietary cholesterol ("cholesterol is not a nutrient of concern for overconsumption"). And what does she think you should eat to meet your protein needs?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    kae612 wrote: »
    @arditarose Thanks! I don't have high cholesterol, she was giving me the general rule. If people have high cholesterol she said she recommends to never eat eggs. OMG really, 125g of protein?! I have zero comprehension of what that even looks like....

@cnbbnc Thanks! I'm not a chicken fan, actually, I really hate it :/ I have peanut butter! Rather frequently, haha :) It seems a waste to just throw out the yolk though... Yep! I have what feels like a lot of legumes! I have lentils and chickpeas quite frequently, today I had a half cup of chickpeas with lunch, and some rice, which was really yummy! But even with extra almonds that meal only came to 12g of protein.

That's ridiculous. Eat eggs.
  • kiela64
    @lynn_glenmont Thank you! Well she's going by the Canada Food Guide, so perhaps we don't have that change yet? I'm not sure. She's steering me towards the guide of 2 servings of dairy per day, as on the food guide, a serving which amounts to 1oz of cheese, 1 cup of milk, or 1/2cup greek yogurt. I also need to eat a ton more veggies (5-7 half cup servings), and less fruit (2 servings/day as well, 1/2 cup each). I've mentioned I dislike meat & am interested in vegetarian cooking, and she's recommended nuts and legumes, which I'm eating. But apparently not enough, I guess?
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    edited September 2015
    never eat eggs? nonsense. My husband is on a cardiac/cholesterol diet and is allowed 5 eggs a week, by his CARDIOLOGIST. I eat several eggs a day. Hard boiled eggs are my favorite quick snack.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    One protein (20g) bar
  • kiela64
    @chey282 thanks! I did actually try one, it was one of my first attempts before the greek yogurt, but I found 1 tablespoon in a large smoothie to still be too overpowering, and the texture of the dissolved powder made me nauseous. As a tablespoon was not enough to make much of a difference, and the smoothies were adding too many calories to my day without being filling, so I stopped trying that route. It was also too much fruit, so I stopped. I eat my fruit solid now, and we get along better.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    edited September 2015
    I sneak protein powder with water into my oats instead of milk. I find by the time I add an apple and cinnamon or banana and pb or cherries and almonds or whatever strikes my fancy I don't notice it. Then again, oatmeal texture pretty much could hide anything! I cook the oats first, then shake up the powder and water in a bell jar, and use it on top of the oats. :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    kae612 wrote: »
    @lynn_glenmont Thank you! Well she's going by the Canada Food Guide, so perhaps we don't have that change yet? I'm not sure. She's steering me towards the guide of 2 servings of dairy per day, as on the food guide, a serving which amounts to 1oz of cheese, 1 cup of milk, or 1/2cup greek yogurt. I also need to eat a ton more veggies (5-7 half cup servings), and less fruit (2 servings/day as well, 1/2 cup each). I've mentioned I dislike meat & am interested in vegetarian cooking, and she's recommended nuts and legumes, which I'm eating. But apparently not enough, I guess?

Because you are not doing meat, you can increase the cheese, milk, and yogurt in the food guide.

For lunch, consider less (or no) rice and lots more chic peas.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,636 Member
    Consider soybeans: Edamame (9gm/0.5C, 110cal), black soybeans (canned, 12gm/0.5C, 120cal), dry roasted (14gm/0.25C, 130 cal), tempeh (16gm/3oz, 140 cal).

Also, it's easier (on a meatless or meat-minimized diet) if you stop thinking about one 'big' protein per meal, and start thinking about weaving a variety of protein-containing things through your meals & snacks: Broccoli & spinach (among other veg) have a bit of protein. Eat quinoa instead of rice. Eat grains generally, Put beans in your soup, on your salad. Put pepitas or other seeds on your salad. Puree some cashews in your soup. Etc.

Also, if you're trying to get 'x' amount of protein per pound of body weight, I've been told to calculate that based on estimated lean body weight (say, your ultimate target weight). Your excess body fat doesn't need an allotment of protein to maintain itself; your muscles do.

I've been ovo-lacto vegetarian for 41 years (yes since 1974). I'm getting around 80 or more grams of protein daily on 1400-1500 net calories (1700-1800 gross, usually). (I do violate some of the advice your dietitian's giving you - but I find what she's saying . . . unusual.)

Feel free to friend me if you want to see what I eat.
  • kiela64
    Thanks! I have sent you a friend ask, and I'll keep your advice in advisement. I've only had quinoa a couple times, but it's pretty good :)
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    edited September 2015
    I spent some time a few weeks ago reading the medical literature on protein requirements.

Synopsis: at 0.5 gram/kg, about 50% of the subjects were in negative nitrogen balance (losing muscle mass.)
    At 0.7 gram/kg, 10% of the subjects were in negative nitrogen balance
    At 0.8 gram/kg, no subject was in negative nitrogen balance.

These were not overweight or obese subjects.

A BMI of 22 sets your weight at 54 Kg, so
    40 grams = 0.74 grams/Kg
    50 grams = 0.92 grams/Kg
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    how about a protein dessert?. 18 grams flavored protein whey protein powder, two servings egg whites(92grams), 40 grams canned pumpkin so its not dry. Splenda or sugar, baking powder. Mix, microwave 30 seconds, mix some more, microwave another 1minute 25 seconds and you have a pretty much high protein muffin or pancake or what ever dish/bowl you put it in. Chocolate, vanilla, or whatever flavor protein you get will make it taste yummy and filling.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Consider soybeans: Edamame (9gm/0.5C, 110cal), black soybeans (canned, 12gm/0.5C, 120cal), dry roasted (14gm/0.25C, 130 cal), tempeh (16gm/3oz, 140 cal).

Also, it's easier (on a meatless or meat-minimized diet) if you stop thinking about one 'big' protein per meal, and start thinking about weaving a variety of protein-containing things through your meals & snacks: Broccoli & spinach (among other veg) have a bit of protein. Eat quinoa instead of rice. Eat grains generally, Put beans in your soup, on your salad. Put pepitas or other seeds on your salad. Puree some cashews in your soup. Etc.

Also, if you're trying to get 'x' amount of protein per pound of body weight, I've been told to calculate that based on estimated lean body weight (say, your ultimate target weight). Your excess body fat doesn't need an allotment of protein to maintain itself; your muscles do.

I've been ovo-lacto vegetarian for 41 years (yes since 1974). I'm getting around 80 or more grams of protein daily on 1400-1500 net calories (1700-1800 gross, usually). (I do violate some of the advice your dietitian's giving you - but I find what she's saying . . . unusual.)

This is good advice. Your protein is definitely low. Is your dietitian tracking your macros? It is more complicated without meat, especially if she's also asking you to cut back on dairy and eggs. (Which I don't really understand to by honest, unless there's a medical reason.) I generally get around 120g of protein - hardboiled eggs, eggwhites, meat, cottage cheese, Greek yoghurt, edamame, whey protein, quinoa etc. I also make protein fluff and protein balls - yummy!
  • The_Invisible_Boy
    The_Invisible_Boy Posts: 568 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

^^^THIS^^^

Also agree with above posters about eggs. I used to eat eggs(I try to stick more vegan now) like they were going extinct. I'd go thru 3 dozen a week. It was one of my main protein sources. My cholesterol was 146. From what I've read over the last few years there is zero correlation between eating cholesterol and having high cholesterol. There is a reason it's called the practice of medicine. Things are constantly changing and it's hard for Doctors to keep up with everything.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Yes, that iS too little....catabolic! 73 sounds about right.