Calories at 1,000 to 1,200 for women...

Options
GuitarJerry
GuitarJerry Posts: 6,102 Member
This, according to the US Department of Health and Human Services. I was a little surprised to read this myself.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/lose_wt/calories.htm

For a weight loss of 1–2 pounds per week, daily intake should be reduced by 500 to 1,000 calories. In general:
Eating plans that contain 1,000–1,200 calories each day will help most women lose weight safely.
Eating plans that contain 1,200–1,600 calories each day are suitable for men and also may be appropriate for women who weigh 165 pounds or more or who exercise regularly.

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    honestly, the US government has no clue when it comes to nutrition or health. this is just wrong.

please don't fall for the appeal to authority bias. do your own research
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I keep mine well under 1200/day and it's worked for 3 months (30 pounds). If I eat more, I don't lose. But do what works for you. I am glad some of you can eat more and lose! I wish I could!
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I keep mine well under 1200/day and it's worked for 3 months (30 pounds). If I eat more, I don't lose. But do what works for you. I am glad some of you can eat more and lose! I wish I could!

you will have to eventually. that works for the short term, but not in perpetuity.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    The key words are 'most women'. I became anaemic for the first time in my life after losing on 1,200-1,500kcal. I can happily lose on over 2000kcal. I am not 'most women', or rather I haven't been yet.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    The key words are 'most women'. I became anaemic for the first time in my life after losing on 1,200-1,500kcal. I can happily lose on over 2000kcal. I am not 'most women', or rather I haven't been yet.

It's also generalized statistical information. Whenever you are reading up on government recommendations or suggestion, you have to realize that it's talking about the population at large, not really about you. An individual may have variations. It's like BMI. We all use that as a measure against what healthy weight is. But, it's not really accurate at an individual level, it was created to measure large populations.

The part I thought was most interesting was how you are not supposed to eat below 1200 calories, but the government is saying it's OK to eat 1000 a day for women. I was a little surprised by that. I may have to educate myself a little more on this idea.I've been brain-washed that 1200 is the floor for dieting.

and what information leads you to believe the government is correct? have you done further research or are you just handing them your unfailing trust? seems a lil silly. :P
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Before exercise? High protein? Low Fat? Low Sugar?

I guess it's not just the calories we much look for. BUT, I had a 1200 calorie limit, and a lot of times I didn't reach it... I was 800 -1000. Ate multiple times a day, "fast food" 2 times a week with portion control. At first, I felt "icky", but I increased my protein to 45 (because I was extremely low!), and I felt fine afterward. I didn't exercise... Lost 5 pounds in a month.

Now if I were to exercise... I would need more calories.

This month, I am doing that. I have started this site to help me reach my calorie goals. I noticed after I started exercising more, my body would like me to eat more. So I do, with in reason, small snacks (150 cals or less). I have also started lifting weights, and so I wont fret if I end up eating 80g of protein.
  • meownyxxie
    Options
    The web page is incredibly vague. What about height/current weight/muscle mass/activity? And WHERE those calories come from? It's so dangerous to just say 1000 calories straight off the bat without giving any other information.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    It's also the wrong answer to the wrong question as far as health advice goes. The real question is what form of weightloss yields the longest-lasting results. Most people can succeed in weightloss, but then regain.
  • MichelleBogart
    MichelleBogart Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    1200 a day worked for me for about a year, then I had problems.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    It's also the wrong answer to the wrong question as far as health advice goes. The real question is what form of weightloss yields the longest-lasting results. Most people can succeed in weightloss, but then regain.

exactly.

will you lose on 1200 cal? yes.

will you gain it all back? yes.

will you then have to start over? yes.

or you could just eat an appropriate amount from the beginning and never worry about having to do it all over again.
  • MichelleBogart
    MichelleBogart Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was doing well at 1200 for a year. Then I stopped losing and gained back 10 lbs. It wasn't everything I had lost but it was upsetting! So I am starting over with better nutrition.
  • t1nk6
    t1nk6 Posts: 215
    Options
    It works for me... the eating more but healthier balanced meals didn' t . i gained a stone in 3 weeks while others lost.

I guess its not for everyone and i'm sure there are health factors as to why you shouldnt be under 1200 but the health risks of being over weight are more concerning i think.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options

you will have to eventually. that works for the short term, but not in perpetuity.

I guess we will find out. Last years slow 25 pounds in a year was not fast enough for me. I was ready to give up. Is it better to give up becasue of slow weight loss and go back to the bad eating because it's just not worth all the work?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I guess we will find out. Last years slow 25 pounds in a year was not fast enough for me. I was ready to give up. Is it better to give up becasue of slow weight loss and go back to the bad eating because it's just not worth all the work?

is it better to lose it fast and regain it?

the reality is that most people who eat a low-calorie diet end up regaining the weight because it is not sustainable indefinitely. but it's obviously your choice to make. you were making progress, albeit slowly, but by eating so little, you could EVENTUALLY undo it all.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    My body gets used to what I feed it. During my eating disorder days, I would gain on 900 calories a day.
    In recovery, I would maintain on 1500 a day.

Now my maintenance after a year or two of being fully recovered, I maintain on about 2000 with exercise. I set my goal to that knowing I can eat less and lose. I've lost 12lb and 22 or 23 inches in the last year or so. I'm not in a rush. My hips have never looked better :wink: :laugh:
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

I guess we will find out. Last years slow 25 pounds in a year was not fast enough for me. I was ready to give up. Is it better to give up because of slow weight loss and go back to the bad eating because it's just not worth all the work?

That's down to your staying power and how much you want to lose the weight. The crash diet way of doing it is not sustainable, the slow weight loss has more chance of staying off because it's easier to transition to maintenance
  • missability
    missability Posts: 223
    Options
    I believe there is a huge difference between 12,00 calories this:
    AM: fruit, dairy, whole grain cereal or oat meal, unprocessed organ raw honey, steel oats, cage free eggs with raw cheese, raw butter, etc

Lunch: Fresh or frozen if need be...veggies, lean protein source, fruit, good fat, (olive oil, walnut oil, grape seed oil)

Dinner: More veggies, More lean protein, more good fat, more fruit, more whole grain....etc......

and 1,200 calories this:

AM: McDonalds Egg McMuffin, Hash browns, coffee, or OJ, OR Sugar sweetened cereal, Pop-Tart, cheese danish...etc

Lunch: Canned soup, frozen dinner, ham n cheese sandwich, chips, snickers, or a trip to fast food joint of your choice....etc....

Dinner: More frozen, processed, white, in the form of: "Home-made" mac n cheese, Hot-dogs, Spaghetti n Meatballs, lasagna, canned veggies, a huge glob of mashed potatoes, deep fried "anything", or more fast food: half a pizza, 12" sub, Big Mac n fries..

I think eating this way^^^^ is what leads to being "MALNOURISHED" , ANEMIC, DIABETIC, etc etc....Not eating under any specific "set" calorie amount....
    Just sayin s'all....:)
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I wish they would list a source for their recommendations. I can't see why they wouldn't. That's just lazy.

I think that sort of advice is part of the problem, not part of the solution.