Replies

• marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Last years slow 25 pounds in a year was not fast enough for me. I was ready to give up. Is it better to give up becasue of slow weight loss and go back to the bad eating because it's just not worth all the work?
    I think it's better to realize that it will be MUCH easier to maintain if you lose slowly. I lost about 40 pounds in two years but it's been easy to maintain.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    There is no magic number! You have to fine what works for you.

1200 works for me.... And no I am not hungry, and I do not feel deprived!

Do not go by what others do, find your perfect balance and stick with it!

Wishing you success in your journey to a new you!:flowerforyou:
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It's also the wrong answer to the wrong question as far as health advice goes. The real question is what form of weightloss yields the longest-lasting results. Most people can succeed in weightloss, but then regain.

exactly.

will you lose on 1200 cal? yes.

will you gain it all back? yes.

will you then have to start over? yes.

Wrong

Will you lose on 1200 cal? yes

will you gain it all back? Maybe

will you then have to start over? Maybe

The chances of successfully staying on a 1200 calorie diet forever are very slim, I would agree with you there. If however, you have 100lbs to lose and you use a VLCD to lose the first 70 then wean off to normal maintenance calories over a period of time then it is not always unreasonable to consider this. The health risks of staying 100lbs overweight may well outweigh any down side of VLCD's, that's why doctors 'prescribe' them.

The abuse of a 1200cal diet in an inappropriate situation is not likely to meet with success but that does not mean that it doesn't work for anyone.
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    It's also the wrong answer to the wrong question as far as health advice goes. The real question is what form of weightloss yields the longest-lasting results. Most people can succeed in weightloss, but then regain.

exactly.

will you lose on 1200 cal? yes.

will you gain it all back? yes.

will you then have to start over? yes.

or you could just eat an appropriate amount from the beginning and never worry about having to do it all over again.
    I ate at 1200 for about 3 months, and then slowly increased my calories to maintenance(2000 calories). I've been in maintenance for 2 months with no problems. I know for a fact that I won't have to start over
    EDIT: I also happened to lose 25 pounds
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I'm set at 1450, which is approximately my BMR. I am almost at maintenance at this level, especially if I don't exercise. I've recently considered dropping my calorie limit, but am afraid I'll binge due to extreme hunger. I'm 5' tall, so I'm not going to starve to death at 1200. But my mind may think otherwise.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Next question IS will you be able to keep it off?? Just a thought...
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Next question IS will you be able to keep it off?? Just a thought...

Well, as with any 'addition' , you have to take one day at a time.... Yes, I eat less calories, but I eat better foods, and most of the time more volume of food. The foods I no longer eat were not good for me, anyway. So, I hope to stay focused and make good choices...

Oh, and thanks for the vote of confidence!

I wish you great success in your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • brennamathis
    Options
    *shrug* MFP's little calculator automatically set me at 1,200 a day in order to lose 1-2 lbs a week, exercising 30 minutes each day. Honestly...unless I'm eating junky food through the day, I often find it hard to get to that 1,200 a day and generally find myself pondering whether I should eat more food later in the day (after exercising) or just leave it with "not enough" calories. I KNOW not many calories isn't good, I know eating more little meals through the day is better, and I'm always hearing not to eat late or after a certain time as well. I figure if it works for you and you can get the weight off at that caloric intake and KEEP it off, yet still be healthy and meeting your needed dietary guidelines, then why not?
  • nainai0585
    nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    from a government that made pizza an official vegetable - no thanks.

I found that at 1200 calories I was irritable and moody and not my normal self. But at 1450 calories, I'm more then happy.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Um, don't take advice from the US government.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I think that it makes the implication that a women is not exercising, therefore needs a lower calorie diet. It states that men, a woman over 165 lbs or that exercises regularly would have a higher calorie need.

If I didn't exercise my TDEE-20% would be about 1300. It's just a generalization.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

That range is good for me. Although my weight has increased since my 20s when it was in the low 90s, I've never been overweight and am about 100 today.

I think some people on MFP have a mentality that they can't permanently lose weight, or that there's only one way to do it.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    from a government that made pizza an official vegetable - no thanks.

I found that at 1200 calories I was irritable and moody and not my normal self. But at 1450 calories, I'm more then happy.

That is not true. They said the sauce in the pizza can be considered a vegetable. And it's Congress saying that, while the Obama administration is fighting it. The Obama administration wants healthier lunch programs in schools so they were trying to call pizza junk food. In response congress said the sauce on pizza is the same as eating a tomato. With budget constraints, they probably cant change much. So, saying the "government" labels pizza as a vegetable is extremely sloppy in describing the situation. It's just not the case.

Ketchup was classified as a vegetable during the Reagan Administration.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'0 female, not even close to 165 lbs, and I eat more than the max recommendation for MEN to lose weight. And I'm losing roughly half a pound per week. In short, the DHS is full of ****. But what else is new?
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

I think I'll stick to my 1800 or so a day.
    To each it's own.

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I maintain at 1350+ exercise
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    honestly, the US government has no clue when it comes to nutrition or health. this is just wrong.

please don't fall for the appeal to authority bias. do your own research

This. Plus the 1000-1200 assumes the woman is doing zero exercise. You know, because most U.S. citizens don't exercise. Plus it only states they can lose weight safely. Not effectively. Not efficiently. Not enjoyably. Its LCD stuff.