What counts as "calories out"?

2»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Just for reference, I am 192 lb and I burn just over 300 calories per hour walking 17-18 minute miles (according to Map My Walk), which is approximately 3.3 mph. My Fitbit gives me pretty much the same burn.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    If you find you are not losing as you do this, cut your calories down a bit and assume the calculator is over estimating the calorie burn. Don't get into a trend of keeping on increasing exercise. Its not sustainable and not necessary. Sort your diet out.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Patttience wrote: »
    If you find you are not losing as you do this, cut your calories down a bit and assume the calculator is over estimating the calorie burn. Don't get into a trend of keeping on increasing exercise. Its not sustainable and not necessary. Sort your diet out.

Very true. I started doing this and ended up burning out. One week off the rails and I got back to it, going back to my original goal of 10,000 steps per normal day. I will go over on days when I hike with my club or I am very busy, but those are the exceptions, not the norm.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Sorry that burn sounds WAY inflated. I would half that and count those 300 as calories out. Remember, MFP already has your deficit built in, so anything above that is bonus.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Calories out is the hardest part to figure out. There are many variables, and it is hard to know how much you burn during exercise. It can definitely lead to not losing weight.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    i dont burn 660 calories in an hour on the arc trainer at a pretty high level of intensity (15 on a scale of 1-20).

Methinks your calculations are off....
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    How much do you weigh in lbs?
    Does your walk involve a steep incline or is it on the flat?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    This questions probably been asked before, but as I'm having trouble pinpointing it I hope you don't mind my asking. I've read the posts that say weight loss is as simple as calories in, calories out, and that makes sense to me. My problem is the recommended calorie goal of, say, 2400 kcal I'm supposed to eat. On a good day, I'm burning 660 calories on a walk (I'm just starting out, so hopefully it'll get to be more the more I walk.) burning more than 2400 because that's walking over 4 times what I am now! I wish I could but right now I'm just trying to focus on getting 3 miles a day in in addition to college and spending time with my Grandma.
    So is there something I'm missing here? Because I'm willing to do what it takes but I know I'm 'not supposed to' eat little enough to have more calories out then in.
    Thanks for the help in advance.

To make this really simple, MFP gives you your calorie goal based on the goals you tell it and the idea that you need to burn more than you eat to lose (if you look at the settings and goal pages it will tell you what it's estimating your BMR to be).

2400 sounds kind of high (although I generally trust MFP) -- what activity level did you give it and how many lbs/week are you aiming to lose? If you used an active activity level, I likely would not eat back calories from walking.

Once you know you have MFP set up right, just worry about eating to goal. Your goal will be less than you burn.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited September 2015
    Yeah, that burn is pretty inflated. I burn around that much... in an hour and a half doing 16:30 average miles with hills involved (between 3.6-3.7 mph). I weigh around 146.

Check the data you have entered into the app. I have Endomondo, and for some reason it had me being about 7 inches taller than I was. It was giving me really ridiculous burns there for a while. It also never recorded my age when I entered it. Now it gives me burns more in line with my Fitbit.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    WBB55 wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    maidentl wrote: »
    Your body burns calories just by being alive. Your exercise is in addition to that. :)

I would say that your body burns calories just by being alive, then you burn calories doing everyday things (like things you do on your job for example; walking, typing, punching your computer), then you burn calories doing exercising (such as walking outside of normal activity, jogging, judo, bench pressing orphans).

You want to eat less than the first two and either bank the third or eat part of it back. However keep in mind that equipment, and people, generally overestimate the calorie burn of exercising.
    You still only doing Annies, or have you moved up to Oliver Twists yet?
    It's to early in the morning, i missed that orphan reference, thanks for pointing it out lol

Benching Bruce Wayne being the ultimate goal, then?
    Bane can bench a Bruce Wayne and a Dick Grayson, but I hear rumors he might not be natty.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    This questions probably been asked before, but as I'm having trouble pinpointing it I hope you don't mind my asking. I've read the posts that say weight loss is as simple as calories in, calories out, and that makes sense to me. My problem is the recommended calorie goal of, say, 2400 kcal I'm supposed to eat. On a good day, I'm burning 660 calories on a walk (I'm just starting out, so hopefully it'll get to be more the more I walk.) burning more than 2400 because that's walking over 4 times what I am now! I wish I could but right now I'm just trying to focus on getting 3 miles a day in in addition to college and spending time with my Grandma.
    So is there something I'm missing here? Because I'm willing to do what it takes but I know I'm 'not supposed to' eat little enough to have more calories out then in.
    Thanks for the help in advance.
    If you want to lose weight, you have to eat little enough to have more "calories out" than "calories in." Is there some reason you're no supposed to do that?

Everything you do is calories out. Breathing, blinking, swimming, watching TV, having sex - everything uses energy. Some uses more than others, but all of it counts.

600 calories sounds like a LOT for a 3 mile walk. I'm not sure where you got that number, but I'd double-check it if I were you.