exercise while on the monthly??

Options
OK kinda gross I know... and I'm sorry for the guys that read this.. but SERIOUSLY.... girls can you do this??? To me it feels rather....gross.... I don't know if its just me or not. I heard that exercising is good for cramps and bloating, but is that even true? I just feel blah... but I don't wanna take the next 4 days off! That would really suck :( (I mean I could lol)

Got any useful info?? Something that will work (other than a tampon and backup? Lol)

Thanks!!!

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy weights at all times of the month and never noticed any difference. I used to play ice hockey and never let it stop me then either... in fact my team used to joke that all our menstrual cycles would synchronise, and woe betide any team that played against us on PMS week :laugh:
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Dont be a sissy lala and get yourworkout in! No excuses!
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I only work out at home during that time and skip the gym in case of accidents...I'm not like you delicate flowers who are "light" unfortunately. LMAO!
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Unless you experience debilitating cramps, being on your period is NO reason to skip exercise (and it can, in fact, help relieve cramps). I've run, biked, swum, done a triathlon, danced, kick-boxed, weight lifted (including power lifting), done HIIT and other plyometric workouts all during my period (I wear tampons). I have NEVER had an issue, outside of sometimes having slightly less energy than normal. So just do your normal, regular, everyday workouts....and if you need to take it down a notch energy-wise, do so. :)
  • michellechawner
    Options
    This isn't the 1950's.

Shove a tampon up there and do your work.

It helps with my cramps and bloating, but everyone is different. Obviously if you are in pain take some IBU and work through it.
  • storm15918
    storm15918 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't let it stop me, partly because I have a race soon and can't afford not to run lol. You could always try going on the lighter days if it really bothers you. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like it lightens up while I'm working out so that helps too.

I've found that moving really does help with cramps. It's a good reason to exercise! I often find that once I'm moving I don't really notice that it's there anyway since I'm so much more focused on my exercise. I hate the initial thought of it, but once you're working out it's not that bad at all. If fatigue is an issue, you could try doing less intensive work outs during that time, or maybe mix it up so there's some excitement to help motivate you.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I've seen this question a lot and I've never really understood it. You aren't sick, you don't need bed rest or special treatment. Just slap on a pad or tampon and go about your day. Exercising isn't going to cause a leak or make you feel faint. It might help with bloating or cramps, it might not. Depends on the person. I find it actually helps a LOT with moodiness, I hardly ever get the PMS grumpies that I used to when I am being active. In fact, any time of month, a good hard work out will go a long way to helping with a bad mood and/or stress, IME.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I work out the same - i use a menstrual cup which I have never had a problem with ( and I'm very heavy). The only thing I notice is my muscles seem slightly lethargic for the first couple of days though improving since taking an iron supplement.

As another poster said I also have races coming up and cant plan them around my cycle. It does seem to help with the cramps especially when doing weights while a good run seems to improve my mood.
  • ArieMc88
    ArieMc88 Posts: 18
    Options
    personally it does help relieve my cramps even though I feel like a total slob on Aunt Flo sometimes :wink:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've had some pretty bad knock-down periods (which, IMo, is still better than being knocked up!), and I say, if it's THAT bad that you can't exercise, see a doctor.
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I agree it does sometimes feel gross but with that being said I like working out during my monthly because it helps with my cramps, helps me sleep better at night and I dont know why but I get this surge of energy after I workout during my period ... weird huh?
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Exercise lessens my pain. Just wear a good pantyliner (orwhatitcalledinenglish) and big panties and you will be fine :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Go for it - I'm with the others who say it helps with the cramps, pain, bloat, whatever. Kick TOM, Aunt Flo, shark week, whatever you want to call it - in the face, and rock your workout! You will feel better for it. :smile:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    and I say, if it's THAT bad that you can't exercise, see a doctor.

^^^ this, because issues like endometriosis sometimes go undiagnosed. Lots of women are told that very painful periods are something you just have to put up with, but while menstrual cramps are normal, severe pain during this time can be indicative of a medical issue.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I heard that exercising is good for cramps and bloating, but is that even true?

totally true.
  • jmoliveson
    jmoliveson Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi; I just had mine and since I started working out consistently since June 6th, I hardly had any cramps and it was considerably light. I also managed to go to the gym and do the treadmill and the excercise bike. At first I wasn't sure if this was going to be possible but it worked out just fine. If you don't feel too good then just take the heaviest day off.
  • creatureofthewind
    Options
    I do know there are some yoga poses they tell you not to do when it's that time. Other then that I personally take a day off and I change up my exercise. I do more exercises that requires me to stand then to be on the ground.
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I just started today. I still did a 26 mile bike ride. Traditional Day 2 (tomorrow) is pretty rough for me. Bad cramps, VERY heavy flow, just generally blah. The rest of the days I barely know it's that TOM. I tend to make Day #2 my rest day. Sunday is my rest day anyway so it fits this month. Monday I will do pilates like normal. If Day #2 falls on a scheduled class/training/whatever type of event I suck it up and still do the activity.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Just do it. I feel "blah" for the first 3 days and also a bit tired. Just do SOMETHING. You'll be so glad you did.
  • NiBo1689
    NiBo1689 Posts: 20
    Options
    I always used to use it as an excuse. Now I go to the gym anyways, and it actually makes me feel less bloated. I think part of the reason people feel so crappy is because they give in to everything and their bodies don't appreciate it. haha