Fitness and Diet Should Not Have a Time Limit

Options
Interesting points from an article by Dean Somerset (a well respected trainer)

http://deansomerset.com/34-things-learned-from-20-years-of-lifting-part-1/

I see a lot of people look to do 30 day challenges, or 6 week boot camps, and I guess that’s cool to get some different perspectives, but after those timelines are complete, what comes next? Often people will go hard on a concept or in a class and then do nothing to recover from it for a couple of weeks. There’s nothing wrong with this, but it’s rarely ever as productive as people would like.

In many ways, fitness should be viewed as a long-term concept, much like saving for retirement. Going hard and putting as much into retirement savings for a short period while leaving you broke during that timeframe may be mildly productive, but is a benefit you likely won’t reap for a long time. Instead, consistent effort to invest time in the gym over the span of years, not weeks or days, will tend to yield the best results. Ask anyone who has a body that looks like they’ve put a lot of work into it and they’ll rarely say “Oh, I got this way after I did a 30 day challenge last month. It really works!!” They’ll likely tell you it’s been something they’ve worked at consistently for years, sometimes decades.

You could also say the same thing about nutrition. Instead of looking for a 10 day detox or cleanse, just eat right for about 90% of your meals for the next week or two, and you’ll be at or ahead of any point that a cleanse would get you to, and you won’t get all hypoglycemic and wear out your toilet in the process.

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! Funny, and good advice!

I haven't got a set date to reach my goal weight. It'll happen at some point after I've been continuing to lose weight at the recommended rate. My goal is making logging a way of life for the rest of my life, or at least develop super-accurate caloric awareness.

With exercise, my goal is to beat my personal best at least once a month and to do more hiking.

What are everyone's goals?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Agree - only thing is that the first month of fitness, for a sedentary person, is hard, and not in the same way that it is for a fit person who is challenging themselves. CV system, muscle, connective tissue - all of it's usually out of whack, unconditioned, uncoordinated. Some might think it'll always feel as hard as it does the first time they get winded on an elliptical - which might happen after 5 minutes, for some people. Looking at a long stretch of feeling crappy isn't motivating, and neither is feeling like you're bad at what you're doing. So structured challenges or programs like that might help people find a way in, after which they'll often naturally want to do more (because by then they're acclimated and are getting more immediate rewards). Then they'll look to a longer-term approach. Jillian Micheal's 30 Day Shred got me started, and I'm not embarrassed to say so :)
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Right, those challenges & camps are not a long-term solution, but do act as a much-needed kick-start to either begin a longer-term program, or to change up some stale routines. I guess some people do look at it as an end-point instead of a start-point -- usually to their detriment. That's why I like MFP -- it's meant to be a permanent way of life, not a quick fix-it.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    What comes next is another workout and then another. I have done the 30 day shred, squat challenge, ab challenge, fitness blender 5 day workout for busy people, and so on.I like challenges and sometimes are done with my real life friends.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Most people are more motivated to do something if they have a concrete goal at the end to achieve. Most people would see a long-term, possibly lifetime, commitment to health/fitness to be a bit daunting or intimidating, which can make them unwilling to actually get started. In the other hand, most people don't see 30 days as a terribly long time, which makes commuting to that program for however long it is seem much more doable. I agree with you that it seems kind of stupid to go through all that trouble if you're just going to revert back to your old ways, but I see why people do that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    You could also say the same thing about nutrition. Instead of looking for a 10 day detox or cleanse, just eat right for about 90% of your meals for the next week or two, and you’ll be at or ahead of any point that a cleanse would get you to, and you won’t get all hypoglycemic and wear out your toilet in the process.

Agreed (and I dislike cleanses because I think they are pointless and unhealthy), but sometimes you need incentive to get started on a habit or to teach yourself that a change is possible.

I'm doing an MFP challenge now (HP) where the prelogging component is one that doesn't help me -- I did it for a while, but now plan in my head really well. But for someone new to MFP that might be great and very helpful to learn and get in the habit. I tend to set weekly and monthly goals for myself still, as something to focus on.
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    Most people are more motivated to do something if they have a concrete goal at the end to achieve. Most people would see a long-term, possibly lifetime, commitment to health/fitness to be a bit daunting or intimidating, which can make them unwilling to actually get started. In the other hand, most people don't see 30 days as a terribly long time, which makes commuting to that program for however long it is seem much more doable. I agree with you that it seems kind of stupid to go through all that trouble if you're just going to revert back to your old ways, but I see why people do that.

I agree with this, I have done challenges only cos I want to prove that I can get through the 30 days. I make sure breaks are included so not killing myself. Once done I find my next workout. I am under no illusions miracles will happen after 30 days.
  • 46beth
    46beth Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My exercise is only walking and a bit of jog in between. I only do this because I know is the only exercise that I can keep going of rest of my life as long I am able with out getting bored. All kind of exercise are all good but if you can keep up so whats the point.
  • 46beth
    46beth Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am 50 yrs old and be 51 soon in about three months time. I like just a relaxing exercise with fresh air.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I don't understand the concept of a lifestyle change because it typically isn't a 1 time change. For example I am attempting to lose weight, so I had to change my lifestyle; to do that but when I reach my goal weight, my lifestyle won't still be to lose weight; it'll be to maintain the weight that I've lost & thus I'll have to change my lifestyle again, from losing to maintaining. If I become pregnant, it'll change again, to gaining. When I have the baby(ies), it'll change again; to losing & then again to maintaining. I believe that the term "lifestyle change" is confusing for many people because they just don't seem to realize, that it's actually plural. As your wants/needs change, your lifestyle must also; every single time!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Interesting points from an article by Dean Somerset (a well respected trainer)

http://deansomerset.com/34-things-learned-from-20-years-of-lifting-part-1/

I see a lot of people look to do 30 day challenges, or 6 week boot camps, and I guess that’s cool to get some different perspectives, but after those timelines are complete, what comes next? Often people will go hard on a concept or in a class and then do nothing to recover from it for a couple of weeks. There’s nothing wrong with this, but it’s rarely ever as productive as people would like.

In many ways, fitness should be viewed as a long-term concept, much like saving for retirement. Going hard and putting as much into retirement savings for a short period while leaving you broke during that timeframe may be mildly productive, but is a benefit you likely won’t reap for a long time. Instead, consistent effort to invest time in the gym over the span of years, not weeks or days, will tend to yield the best results. Ask anyone who has a body that looks like they’ve put a lot of work into it and they’ll rarely say “Oh, I got this way after I did a 30 day challenge last month. It really works!!” They’ll likely tell you it’s been something they’ve worked at consistently for years, sometimes decades.

You give great advice. Lifestyle changes equals sustainable longevity.

• Therealobi1
    Options
    I don't understand the concept of a lifestyle change because it typically isn't a 1 time change. For example I am attempting to lose weight, so I had to change my lifestyle; to do that but when I reach my goal weight, my lifestyle won't still be to lose weight; it'll be to maintain the weight that I've lost & thus I'll have to change my lifestyle again, from losing to maintaining. If I become pregnant, it'll change again, to gaining. When I have the baby(ies), it'll change again; to losing & then again to maintaining. I believe that the term "lifestyle change" is confusing for many people because they just don't seem to realize, that it's actually plural. As your wants/needs change, your lifestyle must also; every single time.

I don't use the term at all but understand the concept. In all those scenarios you mentioned you will still eat in moderation and try and stay active.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options
    I don't understand the concept of a lifestyle change because it typically isn't a 1 time change. For example I am attempting to lose weight, so I had to change my lifestyle; to do that but when I reach my goal weight, my lifestyle won't still be to lose weight; it'll be to maintain the weight that I've lost & thus I'll have to change my lifestyle again, from losing to maintaining. If I become pregnant, it'll change again, to gaining. When I have the baby(ies), it'll change again; to losing & then again to maintaining. I believe that the term "lifestyle change" is confusing for many people because they just don't seem to realize, that it's actually plural. As your wants/needs change, your lifestyle must also; every single time.

I don't use the term at all but understand the concept. In all those scenarios you mentioned you will still eat in moderation and try and stay active.

Of course but the moderation changes & thus the fitness/nutrition aspects of it does as well, hence why it's a plural rather than; a singular concept.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I hate hearing about diets with a number of days attached them. The 17-day diet (if it's so great, why don't you just do it forever? What do you accomplish in 17 days?), the 21-day fix (admittedly not a bad diet plan overall, but why all the stopping and starting? Again, just do it forever, or else you haven't actually fixed anything), and the 24-day challenge (Advocare. Starts with a cleanse, then supplements out the wazoo. I can see how it'd be a challenge for anyone, but what long-term gain do you get from your pain?).
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    I hate hearing about diets with a number of days attached them. The 17-day diet (if it's so great, why don't you just do it forever? What do you accomplish in 17 days?), the 21-day fix (admittedly not a bad diet plan overall, but why all the stopping and starting? Again, just do it forever, or else you haven't actually fixed anything), and the 24-day challenge (Advocare. Starts with a cleanse, then supplements out the wazoo. I can see how it'd be a challenge for anyone, but what long-term gain do you get from your pain?).

Ha they can't do it forever it's too expensive
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options

Simple these companies only want them to lose some of the weight & then gain it all back, plus more; so that they are lifetime customers instead of 1 time consumers. These companies wouldn't continue to exist, if everyone that lost the weight using their products; kept the weight off indefinitely.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Well, the 17-day diet is just a book, and the 21-day fix... forgive my ignorance, but all I know about it is that it uses expensive tupperware. Then Advocare... Well, it's Advocare.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with you! :)

I don't visit the 'motivation and support' section because it is RIFE with '25 day challenges' or '30 DAY SHRED' or whatever. I understand the reasoning behind it - some people need that added motivation but you just know that once those 25 or so days are over, it's back to old habits and seeking 'accountability buddies' and looking out for the next "17 day tone" plan. I just feel tired FOR them! I would never participate in a 'challenge', it turns this process into too much of a game show - this is our long term health we are talking about!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    What comes next is another workout and then another. I have done the 30 day shred, squat challenge, ab challenge, fitness blender 5 day workout for busy people, and so on.I like challenges and sometimes are done with my real life friends.

Nice counterpoint to the argument! It's not "one quick fix and it's over", it can be lots of different goals as time goes on.

And well done on your achievement!

I'm enjoying this topic. Lots of good points all round.
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    Completely agree with you! :)

I don't visit the 'motivation and support' section because it is RIFE with '25 day challenges' or '30 DAY SHRED' or whatever. I understand the reasoning behind it - some people need that added motivation but you just know that once those 25 or so days are over, it's back to old habits and seeking 'accountability buddies' and looking out for the next "17 day tone" plan. I just feel tired FOR them! I would never participate in a 'challenge', it turns this process into too much of a game show - this is our long term health we are talking about!

I disagree. It depends on your mindset when you start out. I was ready to make the change. I did the 30 day shred and have no regrets. It was my start to getting off my sofa and showing me how unfit I was at the time. I revisted it after one year and I had so improved my fitness. I was such a coach potato before but something in me has changed which does amuse me. Accountability buddies understand it but don't need it. We are in this alone but nice to have a site where we can discuss, get new ideas and talk all day long without boring people.