Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Fitness and Diet Should Not Have a Time Limit

2»

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    edited September 2015
    Orphia wrote: »
    What comes next is another workout and then another. I have done the 30 day shred, squat challenge, ab challenge, fitness blender 5 day workout for busy people, and so on.I like challenges and sometimes are done with my real life friends.

Nice counterpoint to the argument! It's not "one quick fix and it's over", it can be lots of different goals as time goes on.

And well done on your achievement!

I'm enjoying this topic. Lots of good points all round.

thank you.
    I think i understand why these challenges get bad press, its because there are loads of people who think after 30 days they will be shredded. its not going to happen. It does not happen and they go back to the sofa.
    anything to do with cleanses, etc, i dont agree with.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    What comes next is another workout and then another. I have done the 30 day shred, squat challenge, ab challenge, fitness blender 5 day workout for busy people, and so on.I like challenges and sometimes are done with my real life friends.

Nice counterpoint to the argument! It's not "one quick fix and it's over", it can be lots of different goals as time goes on.

And well done on your achievement!

I'm enjoying this topic. Lots of good points all round.

thank you.
    I think i understand why these challenges get bad press, its because there are loads of people who think after 30 days they will be shredded. its not going to happen. It does not happen and they go back to the sofa.
    anything to do with cleanses, etc, i dont agree with.

Ditto on the cleanses! And you're right about the people who finish X days then quit.

Then of course there are those who can't even finish the full X days!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    I don't understand the concept of a lifestyle change because it typically isn't a 1 time change.

Sorry but I don't buy your examples.

In each case the lifestyle change occurred only once: when the individual internalized that their body needs only X calories for Y activity and that weight can be controlled by making X=Y or X<Y or X>Y. The real change is that they did something about it.

The person who moves from weight loss to maintenance isn't undergoing another lifestyle change. That person is fully aware of how caloric imbalance will affect them thus moving to maintenance isn't a whole new order but a relatively minor alteration of what they have already practised and know.

The new mother certainly is facing a lifestyle change but that's entirely due to having a child in her life! :smile:
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited September 2015
    Completely agree with you! :)

I don't visit the 'motivation and support' section because it is RIFE with '25 day challenges' or '30 DAY SHRED' or whatever. I understand the reasoning behind it - some people need that added motivation but you just know that once those 25 or so days are over, it's back to old habits and seeking 'accountability buddies' and looking out for the next "17 day tone" plan. I just feel tired FOR them! I would never participate in a 'challenge', it turns this process into too much of a game show - this is our long term health we are talking about!

Well, like I said, I started with the 30DS, and it set me on a path to fitness that's lasted coming up on five years, and took me through all kinds of fun stuff (running, though wouldn't do that again, swimming, skiing, weightlifting). Weight dropped and has stayed gone except for a slight regain (injury).

The genius of that DVD is that it's chunked (short intervals, nothing hurts for too long) and staged to be totally manageable for a (healthy) sedentary person, and it's short (30 mins, or slightly longer), so it's not overwhelming and is easy for most people to fit into their schedules.
  • tomatoey
    mwyvr wrote: »
    I don't understand the concept of a lifestyle change because it typically isn't a 1 time change.

In each case the lifestyle change occurred only once: when the individual internalized that their body needs only X calories for Y activity and that weight can be controlled by making X=Y or X<Y or X>Y. The real change is that they did something about it.

The person who moves from weight loss to maintenance isn't undergoing another lifestyle change. That person is fully aware of how caloric imbalance will affect them thus moving to maintenance isn't a whole new order but a relatively minor alteration of what they have already practised and know.

The new mother certainly is facing a lifestyle change but that's entirely due to having a child in her life! :smile:

Yes and no. Maintenance is mostly more of the same, if nothing else changes, but you do have to make sometimes significant adjustments after say illness or injury. If exercise helps regulate your appetite, for example, and you can't rely on that anymore (or the burns), you have to plan and eat sometimes very differently.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    edited September 2015
    Please note: IN NO way did I mean to offend by my comment about the time limit challenges. That is absolutely not my style so please accept my apologies if I cause any offence. I didn't phrase it as I probably should have.

I can 100% accept that these X days challenges CAN and DO work for a LOT of people. The motivation aspect is fantastic and I assume they are set up to encourage first of all - in hopes that once those X amount of days is complete, your habits will naturally continue. IF you go about this the right way - then fantastic and kudos to whoever came up with the idea.

I think my issue was with the people seeking challenges, losing a good amount of weight and then - in their words - 'falling off the wagon and needing to get back on'. I don't think time limit challenges are suitable for a wide variety of people. But ARE suitable for MANY.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Whilst i do see people doing 30 day challenges theres nothing wrong with that because it breaks it down into a manageable chunk. The article isnt written about MFP. If you want to say detox diets are a waste of time and think long term, then thats the consensus on MFP, which is why you see people banging on about lifesyle change.

Theres nothing wrong with a 30 day challenge if thats all you can manage, then maybe after the 30 days you can do another challenge. Its nice to think long term, but not everyone can manage that so they take it one pound at a time. It might not be as efficient, but it works for some people.
  • tomatoey
    Please note: IN NO way did I mean to offend by my comment about the time limit challenges. That is absolutely not my style so please accept my apologies if I cause any offence. I didn't phrase it as I probably should have.

I can 100% accept that these X days challenges CAN and DO work for a LOT of people. The motivation aspect is fantastic and I assume they are set up to encourage first of all - in hopes that once those X amount of days is complete, your habits will naturally continue. IF you go about this the right way - then fantastic and kudos to whoever came up with the idea.

I think my issue was with the people seeking challenges, losing a good amount of weight and then - in their words - 'falling off the wagon and needing to get back on'. I don't think time limit challenges are suitable for a wide variety of people. But ARE suitable for MANY.

No offense taken :) Some start and stop, and for some, when they stop, it's because they didn't take a long-term perspective. I think for many, life just gets in the way (babies, stressful life situations, poor health). I was certain I'd never regain more than 5 lbs. I didn't vary much at all for a long while, too! But stuff just happens, you know?

That said, definitely better to focus on the long haul.
  • mwyvr wrote: »

However you proved my point, that this all involves changes; no matter the significance. So what if one's maintenance Calories are only 100 more; than their weight loss Calories; it's still a change. I have read many threads, in which either consuming that extra 100 Calories; to even be within their healthy deficit or going over just 100 Calories of their deficit is a constant problem. So obviously especially for a person, whom isn't hungry enough to even meet their healthy deficit; their going to have more of a challenging time trying to maintain. Also even if each of those changes, only occurs once, it's still more than 1 total change.
  • tomatoey wrote: »

Yes and no. Maintenance is mostly more of the same, if nothing else changes, but you do have to make sometimes significant adjustments after say illness or injury. If exercise helps regulate your appetite, for example, and you can't rely on that anymore (or the burns), you have to plan and eat sometimes very differently.

This is what I was attempting to convey.
  • Please note: IN NO way did I mean to offend by my comment about the time limit challenges. That is absolutely not my style so please accept my apologies if I cause any offence. I didn't phrase it as I probably should have.

Anyone that has read, more than this post of yours; knows that you aren't offensive. o:)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member

However you proved my point, that this all involves changes; no matter the significance. So what if one's maintenance Calories are only 100 more; than their weight loss Calories; it's still a change. I have read many threads, in which either consuming that extra 100 Calories; to even be within their healthy deficit or going over just 100 Calories of their deficit is a constant problem. So obviously especially for a person, whom isn't hungry enough to even meet their healthy deficit; their going to have more of a challenging time trying to maintain. Also even if each of those changes, only occurs once, it's still more than 1 total change.

Lifestyle change / lifestyle changes... it's just a matter of an "s". We're all agreed we need to know the same things.

It's all still eating in moderation within your calorie limit for life. Yay for CICO!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member

Your post wasn't offensive at all. Having different perspective on this is not offensive. I can understand why many think they are not a good idea as often titles of these products are there to mislead the easily led .