Questions About Loose Skin & Surgery

Options
I started my journey at over 360 pounds and have successfully lost over 130 pounds and am down to 220 pounds! The loose skin, while unsightly and a nuisance to hide, didn't bother me much until it started itching? It seems so matter how hard I itch I can't get deep enough and it's starting to get uncomfortable...I know rashes are to follow.

For those of you who have also had weight loss success and had to deal with loose skin:
What other complications did you come across with the excess skin?
Did you have surgery to remove excess skin?
How did you get insurance to cover surgery?
What procedures did you have & are you satisfied?

Thanks in advance for your responses! I have worked so hard to get here and don't want to carry the past around with me & already know that all the weight training in the world cannot fix this so please keep your responses respectful.

9fab145b-5118-489e-8008-4b380daed5d5_zps2bfae932.jpg

Replies

• Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Kalah7Renae12Vera Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My arms are the biggest problem area at this time, my stomach and thighs are also pretty bad.

981bbf38-2f34-4d9e-bfbb-53541650b7cb_zps1c993195.jpg
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you should really really go to a dermatologist. the itchiness can be solved with some cream or whatever. don't wait, because if you scratch deep and hard enough you can give yourself scars.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options
    I agree, I have been very careful about itching and have tried a few different hydro cortisone creams, but I'm worried it will start itching everywhere else i have the skin too and it's extremely irritating. The creams dont help as much as its a "deep" itch if that makes any sense. Thanks for your response!
    you should really really go to a dermatologist. the itchiness can be solved with some cream or whatever. don't wait, because if you scratch deep and hard enough you can give yourself scars.
  • carlaunderconstruction
    carlaunderconstruction Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You should look into insurance coverage. I live in Canada, and here skin removal is covered through our universal health insurance, for those who have experienced problems with rashes, and infections in addition to maintaining their goal weight for a period of time. I know a couple of people who had it done and covered for their stomachs, but not for arms or thighs.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    go to a dermatolagist. they can prescribe stronger medication.

the skin is the bodies largest organ. treat it appropriately.
  • enigmachik
    enigmachik Posts: 150
    Options
    If you do start to develop rashes take pictures every time that you can send to your doctor and can eventually be sent to the insurance company. Pictures are invaluable in the process of getting approved to have loose skin removed. Good luck!!
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    You should PM EdDavenport on here - he has an AMAZING story and he just went through bodylift surgery to have the excess skin removed - I'm sure he could give you some feedback. If your search for him in the forums you should be able to see his success story. Best of luck to you, congrats on your success to date!
  • kelmoseley
    kelmoseley Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was told by a woman who lost alot of weight that the way she fixed the arm issue was building up muscle in her arms and when I saw her there was no flab just a decent amount of muscle, so if that muscle is using that skin to go around it, there would be little to no space for hanging skin there I would guess. :)
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options
    I will definitely look into his story, thank you

You should PM EdDavenport on here - he has an AMAZING story and he just went through bodylift surgery to have the excess skin removed - I'm sure he could give you some feedback. If your search for him in the forums you should be able to see his success story. Best of luck to you, congrats on your success to date!
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options
    You are right I need to be documenting everything it completely skipped my mind, pictures will do a lot of help thanks for the reminder
    If you do start to develop rashes take pictures every time that you can send to your doctor and can eventually be sent to the insurance company. Pictures are invaluable in the process of getting approved to have loose skin removed. Good luck!!
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I think for most insurance companies to cover it, it needs to have medical necessity (numerous rashes, infections, overly bothersome, ect), otherwise it's just a cosmetic procedure. I'm assuming it would take a couple of years of issues before the insurance company approved it.

I know I have read posts that people have reported their skin tighten up a decent amount a few years after they lost weight. Staying hydrated and keeping your skin moisturized (I think it's vitamin E that's recommended) is said to help.

When I am done, I am going to have a fair amount of skin on my stomach. I am hoping it tightens up as time goes on. I stay hydrated, moisturize daily, and I am just going to kind of see what happens. If it seems to still be an issues after I have kids, then I will deal with it.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options
    Oh what I wouldn't give to be Canadian for a while, hehe! Yes most surgeons require a maintained weight for at least 6 months to a year before they will go forth with a procedure, I will have a while to wait in that case as I intend on having another child eventually and wouldnt want to stretch anyone's handywork, but I was curious once I am finished if I am doomed to keep all of the extra skin... thank you for your response.
    You should look into insurance coverage. I live in Canada, and here skin removal is covered through our universal health insurance, for those who have experienced problems with rashes, and infections in addition to maintaining their goal weight for a period of time. I know a couple of people who had it done and covered for their stomachs, but not for arms or thighs.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options
    Yes I am sure I would have to have some pretty extensive complaints to get any help with coverage unfortunately. I too drink my recommended water intake, slather up with lotions and I take supplements like evening primrose to help with skin hydration and elasticity, plus I do weight training as well. So I am doing everything I know to do but when you lose over 130 pounds at some point you gotta think maybe I just cant fix this alone.
    I think for most insurance companies to cover it, it needs to have medical necessity (numerous rashes, infections, overly bothersome, ect), otherwise it's just a cosmetic procedure. I'm assuming it would take a couple of years of issues before the insurance company approved it.

I know I have read posts that people have reported their skin tighten up a decent amount a few years after they lost weight. Staying hydrated and keeping your skin moisturized (I think it's vitamin E that's recommended) is said to help.

When I am done, I am going to have a fair amount of skin on my stomach. I am hoping it tightens up as time goes on. I stay hydrated, moisturize daily, and I am just going to kind of see what happens. If it seems to still be an issues after I have kids, then I will deal with it.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I know my biggest concern with the loose skin is my arms. I have a bit on my upper abdominal region, but just a bit--kind of reminds me of the wrinkles on a Shar Pei dog. My surgeon and I discussed it and with my insurance, the surgery isn't covered, and the cost is $16,000+, so I know that I will have to deal with it. I have been doing a lot of strength training, working the arms, legs, and abdominal region. Though I see more muscles than I have EVER seen in my entire life emerging, the loose skin on the arms is the most troubling. My highest weight was only 246 and I didn't think I would have much loose skin, but I was wrong, especially on the arms! I am about 17 pounds away from my goal (reached my surgeon's 15 pounds ago) so we'll see what I am left with in the end.
    My thoughts on the itching are that you definitely need to check with your doctor. Hopefully you will find an answer for the loose skin, whether it be surgery, creams, wraps, strength training, or another solution.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    After losing 200 pounds my loose skin is around my stomach and arms. I have noticed the itching around my stomach for some time. It cause me backache quite regularly but it is better than it used to be last year. Th skin is slowly tightening up at the sides and just leaves around the belly button. I can't wait to see it go as it is quite heavy. I am hoping by the end of the year the skin will be a lot better.

My arms are really thin now so I would love to have some the skin filled up with a bit of muscle.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options
    Thanks so much Ann, those surgeons sure do make a pretty penny don't they? You have done so well, stinks that we are left to carry around "leftovers"... I thought that maybe since I am young and quit smoking years ago that I would have some luck but its looking pretty bad. A friend of mine recently purchased one of those crazy wrap things, I am waiting to see if that works for her though I am skeptical and am not sure if the chemicals would be safe for my skin.

I know my biggest concern with the loose skin is my arms. I have a bit on my upper abdominal region, but just a bit--kind of reminds me of the wrinkles on a Shar Pei dog. My surgeon and I discussed it and with my insurance, the surgery isn't covered, and the cost is $16,000+, so I know that I will have to deal with it. I have been doing a lot of strength training, working the arms, legs, and abdominal region. Though I see more muscles than I have EVER seen in my entire life emerging, the loose skin on the arms is the most troubling. My highest weight was only 246 and I didn't think I would have much loose skin, but I was wrong, especially on the arms! I am about 17 pounds away from my goal (reached my surgeon's 15 pounds ago) so we'll see what I am left with in the end.
    My thoughts on the itching are that you definitely need to check with your doctor. Hopefully you will find an answer for the loose skin, whether it be surgery, creams, wraps, strength training, or another solution.
  • Possible_Infinity
    Possible_Infinity Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Give it time... Its going to get much better...

I have a friend who a had a tummy tuck after weight loss, the doctor wouldn't do it unless she maintained her weight for a year or so.

From what I understand premature surgery can have weird results.

Good Luck...
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss! I am happy to hear some of it is tightening up for you! Do you think yours will shrink up enough to live with or will you be looking into removal?
    After losing 200 pounds my loose skin is around my stomach and arms. I have noticed the itching around my stomach for some time. It cause me backache quite regularly but it is better than it used to be last year. Th skin is slowly tightening up at the sides and just leaves around the belly button. I can't wait to see it go as it is quite heavy. I am hoping by the end of the year the skin will be a lot better.

My arms are really thin now so I would love to have some the skin filled up with a bit of muscle.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options
    Oh yes, as hard as it is, I will be waiting until I am done having kids and losing weight etc. and waiting to see what my body will do on its own, but I have a feeling I will need some help as I have a large flap that falls down in front on my tummy, and my arms are pretty bad as well... sticking to it though, thanks for the input!

Give it time... Its going to get much better...

I have a friend who a had a tummy tuck after weight loss, the doctor wouldn't do it unless she maintained her weight for a year or so.

From what I understand premature surgery can have weird results.

Good Luck...
  • ecc312
    ecc312 Posts: 17
    Options
    You should check out funeralformyfat.tumblr.com 's blog. She got surgery to remove loose skin on her thighs and tummy after losing a lot of weight and looks fabulous. She has answered a lot of questions on the topic too, so it might give you a little insight into what it's like and all that.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!