Tricks to Peel an Egg????

Options

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    I find that eggs that are approaching their expiration date work best for boiling. I try to keep an older carton of eggs in my fridge for when I want boiled eggs.

That's like saying chicken nearing it's expiration date is more tender.

So silly.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    I find that eggs that are approaching their expiration date work best for boiling. I try to keep an older carton of eggs in my fridge for when I want boiled eggs.

So silly.

Care to elaborate?

I've heard that older eggs have had time for the membrane beneath the shell to mature and separate more from the egg white (or some shyt, I'm not an eggspert).

I've found through personal experience that this usually holds true. But if I'm wrong, I'd like to know and also know why. Because learning is fun.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

So silly.

Care to elaborate?

I've heard that older eggs have had time for the membrane beneath the shell to mature and separate more from the egg white (or some shyt, I'm not an eggspert).

I've found through personal experience that this usually holds true. But if I'm wrong, I'd like to know and also know why. Because learning is fun.

me too
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    In for eggspert
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    In for eggspert

eggspert.jpg
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    In for eggspert

eggspert.jpg

:laugh:

Made my day
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Alton Brown says new eggs for easier peeling.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xUHKpHek2E8
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ModaVita wrote: »
    I love hard-boiled eggs but am at my wits end to peel the @#$%^& things!! :s

I've tried every "trick" I've heard: Don't use fresh eggs. Don't use old eggs. Peel them hot. Peel them cold. Only cook till boiling, then steep XX minutes. Boil forever and blanch immediately...

Seriously - there has to be something that works consistently. How do deli depts get those perfectly peeled eggs over & over again? (I've asked, and they don't share.)

Anybody?

I put them under cold running water right after getting them out of the hot water, then put them in the freezer for a while.
  • queenliz99
    edited September 2015
    Options

So silly.

Care to elaborate?

Still waiting. Jeopardy theme playing in the background
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

So silly.

Care to elaborate?

Still waiting. Jeopardy theme playing in the background

I guess I'm just doomed to make silly claims about eggs in the forums forever :frowning:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    ModaVita wrote: »
    I love hard-boiled eggs but am at my wits end to peel the @#$%^& things!! :s

I've tried every "trick" I've heard: Don't use fresh eggs. Don't use old eggs. Peel them hot. Peel them cold. Only cook till boiling, then steep XX minutes. Boil forever and blanch immediately...

Seriously - there has to be something that works consistently. How do deli depts get those perfectly peeled eggs over & over again? (I've asked, and they don't share.)

Anybody?

1. bring them to room temp
    2. cover by at least 1" with cold water
    3. cover pan and put on high heat and heat just until the water starts to boil
    4. set aside, still covered for 15 minutes
    5. pour out hot water and smash the large end so the shell cracks (thank you Alton Brown!)
    6. chill and start peeling (use @ktekc 's method below)
    ktekc wrote: »
    i roll em on the counter with my hand lightly to crack the whole shell up and break the membrane and it all comes off at once.

ETA: this seems to work the same, no matter how fresh the egg is

• queenliz99
    Options
    Dee dee dee dee dee dee deeee dee dee dee dee de de de de de de LOL
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Peel it under running water
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Another thing you can try (in addition to older eggs, cracking immediately after cooking by shaking in pan of cold water, then cracking all around by hand or rolling on counter): Right after cracking, while egg's still hot, pull off a piece of shell *and membrane*, then hold the egg under cold strongly-running water directing the water between membrane & shell, letting the water help you remove the shell & membrane. No guarantees, but this usually works for me.

thats how i do it
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I peel them under running water. Usually helps.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    In for eggspert

eggspert.jpg

:laugh:

Made my day

Love that word, "eggspert" haha!

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    There are a lot of old wives' tales about making eggs easier to peel. Some methods help slightly, some don't work at all.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html

Pressure Cooked Eggs

There is absolutely zero correlation between cooking eggs in a pressure cooker and ease of peeling.

Age of Eggs

The age of an egg does make a difference, but only when the eggs are super fresh: freshly laid eggs are more likely to stick to the shell. In the U.S., eggs can sit for up to 30 days before being packaged, and the sell-by date can be a further 30 days after that, which means that most likely, the eggs you're getting at the supermarket are old enough that no further aging at home should be necessary.

The Pin Method

This allows the air inside to be pressed out rapidly as the egg cooks, leaving you with a completely smooth egg. Usually.

But occasionally, you end up with an egg full of craters. Unreliable method.

Brown Eggs vs. White Eggs

No difference.

Oven-cooked Eggs

Ovens are inherently unreliable because there is no physics-based indicator or limiter of heat. A pot of simmering or steaming water, on the other hand, is reliably at the same temperature (assuming constant atmospheric pressure).

No method will work perfectly 100 percent of the time to get an egg white to separate cleanly from the shell, but there are things you can do to push the odds in your favor.

Hot or Cold Start

More than any other factor, the thing that made the most difference in how cleanly eggs released from their shells was the temperature at which they started: A hot start produces easier-to-peel eggs.

Shocking the Eggs in an Ice Bath

Shocked eggs also have a slightly higher success rate for peeling. Make sure to chill your eggs completely for at least 15 minutes, or better yet, let them sit overnight in the fridge. The cooler the egg is, the firmer and tighter its structure will be, and the less likely is it to develop craters when you pry off the shell.

Peeling under Water

The many cracks makes it easier to gently peel away the shell under running water.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I'm just lazy & usually buy the already peeled eggs...
  • ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I go with the hand technique. It is pretty easy and most can learn it in just a few simple steps. First you need the egg. Second, what you want to do is pick the egg up. Third and most important, you are going to want to use those hands and begin peeling the egg. Fourth is the fun part, you eat it!!!
  • queenliz99
    Options
    @sixxpoint Thank you for the info!! Turning off Jeopardy music in my head! LOL