Americans! Thanksgiving!

cityruss
cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
Hello.

I'm over here in the UK, and as a family we like to do big celebration dinners, you know, Halloween, Easter, birthdays, Christmas, new year, Chinese new year, Diwali, basically anything we can have a food fest about.

One such thing we have never attempted before is a Thanksgiving dinner, and this year I wish to change that.

I've found plenty of menus online, but I'd love to here from some real life Americans as to what they eat, and how I can create a proper authentic Thanksgiving dinner.

Also, please tell me this is a proper authentic Thanksgiving staple..

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/sweet-potatoes-with-marshmallows

Thanks.

Replies

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    I make a herbed roast turkey breast, stuffing, sweet potato casserole, Campbell's green bean casserole, corn, homemade rolls, cranberry sauce (from the can), and always a homemade pumpkin pie.

The sweet potato casserole was a new tradition added when I moved south - I'd never heard of it or tried it till moving here. It's delicious :)

If we have guests for dinner then I add mashed potatoes, but my family doesn't really care for them.
  • cityruss
    Thanks guys.

It seems one of the problems I'm up against is the vastness and diversity of the USA, as shown by the sample menus here...

http://www.epicurious.com/recipesmenus/holidays/thanksgiving/menus?pageNumber=2&pagesize=10&offset=10

Just from that one page I see that New England, Midwestern, Mid-Atlantic, Californian, Southwestern, Southern, Pacific Northwest all seem to have their own take on things.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Yep, very regional.
  • anewday23
    anewday23 Posts: 16 Member
    Almost everyone has the following menu:
    Roasted turkey with stuffing
    Mashed potato with turkey gravy
    Cranberry sauce (canned usually)
    Sweet potatoes (the mini marshmallow recipe is super traditional)
    Green bean casserole (Campbell's recipe usually)
    Pumpkin pie

Of course everyone does it a bit differently but this is the most traditional American spread.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    anewday23 wrote: »
    Pumpkin pie

Of course everyone does it a bit differently but this is the most traditional American spread.

I would definitely call this the most national of all.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Pumpkin pie

Yep.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I've lived all over the U.S. and so my typical Thanksgiving has multiple regional influences:
    -roast turkey (stuffed with onions, garlic, sage and lemon halves)
    -smashed roasted potatoes with rosemary (quartered skin-on red or Yukon gold potatoes on the small side smashed but not mashed with no butter or milk added)
    --LOTS of turkey gravy with giblets
    --whole sweet potatoes sprinkled with cinnamon and nutmeg (can't stand the marshmallow crap, but that's just me!)
    --green beans--preferably haricot vert style
    --whole cranberry sauce mage with just a dash of sugar and some orange rind
    --dressing made with cornbread, celery, sage, lots of black pepper, and canned smoked oysters (drain out the oil)
    --pecan and/or mincemeat (no actual meat!) pie. Pumpkin is also very traditional, but we prefer pecan and mincemeat.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Pumpkin pie

Pretty much what we do. We usually have a bread of some kind to go with it all.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Parker house rolls are a traditional bread.
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    bioklutz wrote: »
    Pumpkin pie

Pretty much what we do. We usually have a bread of some kind to go with it all.

This!

• Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    The dish I look forward to ever year is candied sweet potatoes. Which is basically slices of cooked sweet potato caramelized in lots of butter and brown sugar. nommy.

Our Turkey is always dry because my grandma doesn't think it's safe to eat unless it is REALLY cooked
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    My family usually has turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing, rolls, asparagus, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie. This is scaled down a lot from what my family did growing up.

One thanksgiving when I was younger my family had 8 different kinds of pies- pumpkin, apple and cherry always. We always had had 3-4 vegetable side dishes- mushy green bean casserole, yams with marshmallows and corn were pretty typical. Turkey and ham both. Rolls. Cranberry sauce. Pickles, olives, raw vegetables with dip. Wine. Soda pop.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.
    Pumpkin pie

This is definitely the typical American menu. But everyone puts their own twist on it. Stuffings vary wildly (my family has served one made with Ritz crackers for as long as I can remember). I rarely serve mashed potatoes (I'll usually do some sort of herb roasted potatoes). Homemade cranberry sauce is super easy (as is orange cranberry relish...which is literally a bag of cranberries, a couple of oranges...peel and all, and sugar, chopped in the food processor...easy peasy). I prefer candied sweet potatoes...sliced, not mashed...without the marshmallow topping...I make mine with orange juice, butter, brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice. Green bean casserole is sort of a guilty pleasure of mine (I had an aunt growing up who made it for every party) but nobody else in my family will touch it...I usually do roasted brussels sprouts (funny, but the first time I ever ate brussels sprouts was at a Thanksgiving dinner in London, when I spent my junior year of college abroad), and/or butternut squash, and maybe some simple steamed green beans or broccoli, for a veggie side. Some years I will make a pumpkin or butternut squash soup to start...depends on how many people we are having and whether I need to add another course to stretch out the bird. I always serve pumpkin pie...but it is something I buy pre-made or ask someone else to bring because I am not a fan. I do make a spectacular apple crisp (possibly my favorite dessert ever), and will share the recipe...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/pear-apple-and-cranberry-crisp-recipe.html
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    I haven't had many traditional Thanksgivings since I was a kid, but I'll tell you what I remember loving the most.

First off, sweet potatoes with marshmallows are DEFINITELY one of the best things.

Other favorites include:
    • Turkey (I like white meat the best)
    • Mashed potatoes with butter and gravy
    • Cranberry sauce (you can get fancy with this, but I love a simple can-shaped slice)
    • Roasted corn on the cob with salt, pepper, and butter
    • Stuffing
    • Dinner rolls with butter
    • A choice between pumpkin, pecan, or apple pie
  • cityruss
    Thanks guys, some great info there. I've sort of come up with a working menu as follows.....

Red Cabbage, Blue Cheese, and Walnut dip

Sweet and Savory Spiced Nuts

Cheddar Cheese and Herbed Twists

Ham Glazed with Spiced Plum Conserve

Roasted Turkey Stuffed with Hazelnut Dressing

Browned Butter Mashed Potatoes

Cornflake, Pecan, and Marshmallow-Topped Sweet Potato Casserole

Green Beans with Toasted Walnuts

Roasted Carrots and Parsnips with Balsamic Thyme Cranberry Sauce

Apple, Sausage, and Parsnip Stuffing with Fresh Sage

Four-Cheese Macaroni

Cranberry sauce/pickles/etc

Sweet Potato-Pecan Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting

Pumpkin-Pecan Cheesecake

Golden Brown Butter and Pecan Praline Tart
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    cityruss wrote: »
    Thanks guys, some great info there. I've sort of come up with a working menu as follows.....

Four-Cheese Macaroni

Pumpkin-Pecan Cheesecake

You need more variety of rolls. I prefer the Hawaiian rolls, but buttery biscuits or flakey biscuits will work as well.

EVERY THANKSGIVING WILL HAVE ROLLS!

As i'm originally from the south something that I do to make turkey that always gets "This is the best turkey i've ever had in my entire life ever" and "wow! it's not dry! turkey is usually dry!" is i inject the turkey with marinade.

I use this one, followed by rubbing the bird down with butter/tony's cajun seasoning including inbetween the skin and meat on the breast. I stuff the turkey with apple, oranges, lemons.

I think you need some mashed potatoes as well.

Of course, i always have to suggest someone try my traditional southern peanut butter pie. ;) It's like a peanut butter cheesecake (but not baked) is the best way to describe it.
  • cityruss
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    cityruss wrote: »

Four-Cheese Macaroni

Pumpkin-Pecan Cheesecake

You need more variety of rolls. I prefer the Hawaiian rolls, but buttery biscuits or flakey biscuits will work as well.

EVERY THANKSGIVING WILL HAVE ROLLS!

As i'm originally from the south something that I do to make turkey that always gets "This is the best turkey i've ever had in my entire life ever" and "wow! it's not dry! turkey is usually dry!" is i inject the turkey with marinade.

I use this one, followed by rubbing the bird down with butter/tony's cajun seasoning including inbetween the skin and meat on the breast. I stuff the turkey with apple, oranges, lemons.

I think you need some mashed potatoes as well.

Of course, i always have to suggest someone try my traditional southern peanut butter pie. ;) It's like a peanut butter cheesecake (but not baked) is the best way to describe it.

It's interesting that most of the cheesecakes I've come across are baked ones, I never make baked cheesecakes, always no-bake fridge set ones, I don't know if that's just how we like them or it's more of a UK vs USA type of thing.

I have a recipe for a Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Bacon Pie from a famous American style bakery in London called The Hummingbird Bakery. I might try that
  • tmt2003
    tmt2003 Posts: 176 Member
    Your menu sounds great, but it's not thanksgiving without Pumpkin Pie! seriously, even if now one likes it, its always there :) walk into any grocery store/bakery the week of thanksgiving and there are no less than 500 pumpkin pies loaded on the shelves ready to go for thanksgiving dinner...
  • StellaRose227
    StellaRose227 Posts: 43 Member
    edited September 2015
    I LOVE Thanksgiving! I spend weeks planning my menu and days cooking.

This year I'll be doing turkey brined in Maker's Mark and maple syrup and wrapped in bacon while roasting, cranberry sauce from scratch with apples and maraschino cherries, cornbread dressing with Conecuh sausage (dressing is like stuffing, but cooked in a separate pan), and mac & cheese from scratch (at DH's request). For dessert I usually do one "traditional" Thanksgiving dessert, usually either pecan or pumpkin based, and one chocolate dessert. This year it will be pecan pie cheesecake and chocolate cake with raspberry mousse filling and almond garnish. I'll also do some other sides. I usually do a corn pudding, squash casserole, and green beans in some fashion. I like mixing up the sides and trying new things, so that part is subject to change. Oh, and I also plan to attempt to make croissants from scratch this year too. I'll be keeping the ingredients for sour cream biscuits on hand in case of a croissant disaster. And I'll probably do a nice olive dip and crackers for early arrivals.

I'm Southern, BTW.