Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    @StellaRose227 , I'll be right over <3
  • StellaRose227
    StellaRose227 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    @queenliz99, come on over. I'm already cooking for 15 (plus my friends who always stop by for leftovers after their own family dinners), a few more won't make a difference. ;)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    @queenliz99, come on over. I'm already cooking for 15 (plus my friends who always stop by for leftovers after their own family dinners), a few more won't make a difference. ;)

Cool!! I'll bring my bacon baklava!
  • StellaRose227
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Cool!! I'll bring my bacon baklava!

OMG...I didn't think it was possible to combine two of my most favorite foods, but I think you managed it. Yum!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Thanks guys, some great info there. I've sort of come up with a working menu as follows.....

Red Cabbage, Blue Cheese, and Walnut dip

Sweet and Savory Spiced Nuts

Cheddar Cheese and Herbed Twists

Ham Glazed with Spiced Plum Conserve

Roasted Turkey Stuffed with Hazelnut Dressing

Browned Butter Mashed Potatoes

Cornflake, Pecan, and Marshmallow-Topped Sweet Potato Casserole

Green Beans with Toasted Walnuts

Roasted Carrots and Parsnips with Balsamic Thyme Cranberry Sauce

Apple, Sausage, and Parsnip Stuffing with Fresh Sage

Four-Cheese Macaroni

Cranberry sauce/pickles/etc

Sweet Potato-Pecan Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting

Pumpkin-Pecan Cheesecake

Golden Brown Butter and Pecan Praline Tart

I'd recommend baking the Hazelnut dressing separately as opposed to stuffing the turkey with it. By the time you cook the turkey long enough that the stuffing is safe to eat, the turkey is going to be as dry as a bone even you brine it, etc. Also, if you have the means, rotisserie turkey is the BOMB.

Also +1 that you need pumpkin pie. Or pecan pie, but some kind of fall pie. If, like me, you're not a fan of the cloying sweetness of pecan pie, I highly recommend this recipe: finecooking.com/recipes/chocolate-espresso-pecan-pie.aspx.

ETA: a tart is just not the same :wink:
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! Our family will have a cheese platter, shrimp cocktail and stuffed mushrooms to start. Then roast turkey, sausage and apple stuffing, butternut squash, green beans, mashed potatoes with turkey gravy, pumpkin bread, rolls, two flavors of gelatin salad, homemade cranberry sauce and creamed onions. For dessert apple pie, pumpkin pie, cherry cheesecake, coffee and hot cider. Ooohhhh I can't wait!!!
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    [quote="Justifier;3t haven't h traditional Thanksgivings since I was a kid, but I'll tell you what I remember loving the most.

First off, sweet potatoes with marshmallows are DEFINITELY one of the best things.

Other favorites include:
    • Turkey (I like white meat the best)
    • Mashed potatoes with butter and gravy
    • Cranberry sauce (you can get fancy with this, but I love a simple can-shaped slice)
    • Roasted corn on the cob with salt, pepper, and butter
    • Stuffing
    • Dinner rolls with butter
    • A choice between pumpkin, pecan, or apple pie
    [/quote]

So glad to know I'm not the only one who associaTes thanksgiving with can shaped cranberry sauce.

We also always have sparkling cider or grape juice with our meal. I don't think that's traditional, It just signifies "celebration" in our family
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    @cityruss That menu looks spectacular! Especially "Roasted Carrots and Parsnips with Balsamic Thyme Cranberry Sauce," holy smokes.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I always have different apps, one new vegetable side, and a unique ddessert, but must have:

Turkey (roasted in a pan on a gas grill) with pan gravy
    Cranberry in a can
    Garlic mashed potatoes
    Stuffing (I need a new recipe) cooked outside the bird
    Dinner rolls (I'm buying some from my favorite restaurant this year)
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    A Canadian Thanksgiving must imo is

Nanaimo Bars
    Butter Tarts
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Did anyone mention pumpkin pie?
  • StellaRose227
    Options
    For those of you who like the canned cranberry sauce: During the rest of the year, if I start craving Thanksgiving type foods, I'll make meatloaf out of ground turkey, bell peppers, onions, and Stovetop cornbread stuffing mix. Then top the whole thing with half a can of cranberry sauce. It's awesome. My husband will eat the leftovers on yeast rolls (the kind that are frozen as single rolls) and says it's like a whole Thanksgiving dinner crammed into one sandwich.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    After Dinner left over: One slice rye bread, several slices turkey, swiss sheese, stuffing, gravy. Pop in the microwave for a minute, or maybe a little less. Warmed open faced sandwich. yum.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    And remember, Calories eaten on Thanksgiving DON'T COUNT.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Mmm, Thanksgiving food! Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.

I come from a big Southern family. Our stuffing isn't stuffing. We call it dressing. It's cornbread based and baked in pans before being cut into squares for serving. Because there are so many of us we usually have 2 turkeys, 1 brined and roasted and one deep fried along with a Honey glazed ham. We have a Jezebel sauce with the ham, which is one of my favorite parts of the meal.

My family doesn't do the marshmallow topped sweet potatoes. We have a family recipe that has shredded coconut in the sweet potatoes and is topped with a cooked down mix of maraschino cherries, crushed pineapple, and pecans that's been dyed bright red. It is absolutely my favorite Thanksgiving food.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    anewday23 wrote: »
    Almost everyone has the following menu:
    Roasted turkey with stuffing
    Mashed potato with turkey gravy
    Cranberry sauce (canned usually)
    Sweet potatoes (the mini marshmallow recipe is super traditional)
    Green bean casserole (Campbell's recipe usually)
    Pumpkin pie

Of course everyone does it a bit differently but this is the most traditional American spread.
    This is pretty legit. Add in some rolls, cheesy potatoes, wine and bloody marys
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    anewday23 wrote: »
    Almost everyone has the following menu:
    Roasted turkey with stuffing
    Mashed potato with turkey gravy
    Cranberry sauce (canned usually)
    Sweet potatoes (the mini marshmallow recipe is super traditional)
    Green bean casserole (Campbell's recipe usually)
    Pumpkin pie

Of course everyone does it a bit differently but this is the most traditional American spread.

Yep. Holy hell, I can't wait for Thanksgiving.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,441 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I leave out the rolls and make corn bread - so yummy with fresh salted butter. Apple pie is also traditional for Thanksgiving, at least in the northeastern U.S., because we have plenty of beautiful, freshly harvested apples to use.

What most Americans will not believe is how much turkeys cost in Europe! My daughter-in-law loves American Thanksgiving dinner and she makes it at Christmas when we are all together. In Netherlands, she orders the turkey a week ahead and for one that is 12-15 pounds she pays 120 Euros, which is $130.00! Hopefully, they are a bit cheaper in the UK :)
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    you MUST have pumpkin pie lol just sayin' it's not thanksgiving without the pumpkin pie.... oh and stuffing. my two favs
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Hello.

I'm over here in the UK, and as a family we like to do big celebration dinners, you know, Halloween, Easter, birthdays, Christmas, new year, Chinese new year, Diwali, basically anything we can have a food fest about.

One such thing we have never attempted before is a Thanksgiving dinner, and this year I wish to change that.

I've found plenty of menus online, but I'd love to here from some real life Americans as to what they eat, and how I can create a proper authentic Thanksgiving dinner.

Also, please tell me this is a proper authentic Thanksgiving staple..

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/sweet-potatoes-with-marshmallows

Thanks.

:# It's interesting how many people are saying that's a favourite recipe for thanksgiving... it sounds gross to me hahaha (no offence).

Canadians have Thanksgiving too! And it'll be at the same time as yours.

Typically we'd eat:

Turkey with gravy and or cranberry sauce
    Mashed potatoes (other might do scalloped potatoes or lemon potatoes)
    Stuffing
    Green beans
    Creamed corn (or corn on the cob)
    Buns and butter
    Pumpkin pie for dessert! With whipped cream on it, of course. And usually served warm with vanilla ice cream on the side.

My family also adds in cabbage rolls. I'm not sure if that's our German coming through though.