What determines if someone is fit or not?

Options
13»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Dan John recommends that get up from the ground test too: http://danjohn.net/2013/04/the-three-longevity-tests/

As others have said, fitness is about being fit for a particular activity. What I've found is that I'm better off if I have a goal of improving my fitness in some way--I don't expect to ever get there. (I'll be really excited when I get that first real pull-up, though.) I also try to mix it up and have goals for both strength and cardio (and cardio fitness does carry over to other cardio things somewhat -- I did a half marathon I was extremely undertrained for largely based on my biking fitness, but had I actually trained properly for that race I would have done it faster).
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    xstephnz wrote: »
    Although there is probably some base fitness that everyone ought to be able to meet I guess.

I kind of mean standard fitness. Like what do you have to be able to do to be considered ''healthy''? is there a test or something? We used to do a few different things in health class, one being the ''beep test''.

What would one have to be able to do to qualify as a police officer? to get into the army? to become a navy seal? What is the optimum fitness?

I think I consider fitness to be able to do an average amount of many different things, like be able to run 10k+, be able to do 50 pull ups, 1000 sit-ups, 100 squats, swim a certain distance, lift a certain amount etc. If you can only do a group of things, but not other things, I'm not sure if I would consider you fit. Whats the point in being able to lift heavy stuff if you can't outrun a zombie?

I feel like if you get good at one area, your fitness would increase in other areas as well. This may not apply to everything, but if you are good at running, you might be able to swim or bike further than you could before, also.

For "standard" fitness, as in figure out if you are above/below average, I know there are some standard tests, because my kids schools participate in a program that evaluates students for fitness. It is mostly screening tests, to see if someone is falling below what is considered "normal". Of course it is adapted to kids, but I suspect the teen version is pretty close to what an adults would be tested for.
    They have tests for 4 different evaluations: strength, speed, endurance and flexibility.
    From what I recall from the end of the year evaluation from my oldest, the basics were 1 rep max lifting (with dumbbells), sit ups and push-ups, sprints and long jumps, endurance run (I think it was something like 10-15 mins jog or so) and for flexibility I have no idea what it is called, but where you get to sit with legs extended and try to reach your toes or beyond, plus the one where you sit with the soles of your feet facing each other and try to bring your feet close to your body.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I can lift a lot of weight for the "big 3" but I feel like I want to die when I have to do sprints or burpees; if anyone saw me they would think that it was my first work out EVER.
    I guess for ME, when I can maintain my lifts, but also do sprints without wanting to die is when I would consider myself "fit."
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    http://breakingmuscle.com/military-first-responders/the-police-physical-ability-test-would-you-meet-the-requirements

That's requirements / scores for cops in a certain area. That's pretty standard for what I'd consider all around health.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I know there are a few fitness tests out there that personal trainers could administer that are age/sex specific. They match you up against the average. However, as others have said, you can be fit in on exercise and suck in others. They test different things though. Bench press tests, leg press tests, etc. An example is the Rockport 1-mile walking test. Here is an online calculator - http://walking.about.com/library/cal/ucrockport.htm
  • Ni_La82
    Ni_La82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Although there is probably some base fitness that everyone ought to be able to meet I guess.

I kind of mean standard fitness. Like what do you have to be able to do to be considered ''healthy''? is there a test or something? We used to do a few different things in health class, one being the ''beep test''.

What would one have to be able to do to qualify as a police officer? to get into the army? to become a navy seal? What is the optimum fitness?

I think I consider fitness to be able to do an average amount of many different things, like be able to run 10k+, be able to do 50 pull ups, 1000 sit-ups, 100 squats, swim a certain distance, lift a certain amount etc. If you can only do a group of things, but not other things, I'm not sure if I would consider you fit. Whats the point in being able to lift heavy stuff if you can't outrun a zombie?

I feel like if you get good at one area, your fitness would increase in other areas as well. This may not apply to everything, but if you are good at running, you might be able to swim or bike further than you could before, also.

Check with your doctor, everyone is different. As you can see there are different interpretations of fitness, but to be considered "healthy" you should have good numbers on your annual physical visit to the doctor. For example, good blood sugar range (not diabetic or pre diabetic), good numbers on cholesterol, good measures on your thyroid hormones, BMI in a good range...

I have a challenge because I am "healthy" but I am not considered "fit".
    I hate running, so my goal was only a 5k. I didn't lose weight to do it, I just started running on the treadmill. Each day a little longer. I did my 5K but in "training" I managed to also get shin splints and eventually I got plantar fasciitis. So, make sure you always wear good shoes when you are on that treadmill or jogging around the neighborhood (I ran on the treadmill at home in my socks, which turned out to be a really stupid idea with lasting impact).
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    http://breakingmuscle.com/military-first-responders/the-police-physical-ability-test-would-you-meet-the-requirements

That's requirements / scores for cops in a certain area. That's pretty standard for what I'd consider all around health.

If this were Facebook, I would 'like' that post.
  • JodieP13
    JodieP13 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think this is a really good question. Being fit changes every milestone you hit. There is no "I'm Done!" moment. But it's a good thing! :smiley:
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Me and my friend had a conversation about this topic a while back. We decided that WE consider ourselves fit because we have been exercising, losing weight, and eating healthy for at least one year CONSISTENTLY without breaks. We have healthy body fats percentages, resting heart rates, body weight, cholesterol and blood pressure, ect.

This is just how we defined it, but I'm sure there are different circumstances that would say otherwise for those who see themselves as unfit.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    JodieP13 wrote: »
    I think this is a really good question. Being fit changes every milestone you hit. There is no "I'm Done!" moment. But it's a good thing! :smiley:

The minute you say "I'm done" you start losing your fitness. You have to work harder as you get older and never ever say "I'm done". :)
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and have kept basically fit for 40 years, by jogging and doing hand weights, core work and so on. How do I know I was "fit"? For various reasons over the decades I stopped working out, from 1 to 6 months at a time. When I was younger I'd start to get out of breath running for a bus or climbing a bunch of stairs.

Ten years ago I noticed the hatch back of the car was "getting heavy". Five years ago I noticed I needed to use a hand to get off the floor. After each one of these wake up calls I got back into gear and exercising again.

Now, as long as I'm able, I'll keep in shape as it gets harder and harder to get to a fit place. Might as well stay fit. If you've been fit for awhile you know what your minimum criterion is. And it certainly changes as you age.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

For "standard" fitness, as in figure out if you are above/below average, I know there are some standard tests, because my kids schools participate in a program that evaluates students for fitness. It is mostly screening tests, to see if someone is falling below what is considered "normal". Of course it is adapted to kids, but I suspect the teen version is pretty close to what an adults would be tested for.
    They have tests for 4 different evaluations: strength, speed, endurance and flexibility.
    From what I recall from the end of the year evaluation from my oldest, the basics were 1 rep max lifting (with dumbbells), sit ups and push-ups, sprints and long jumps, endurance run (I think it was something like 10-15 mins jog or so) and for flexibility I have no idea what it is called, but where you get to sit with legs extended and try to reach your toes or beyond, plus the one where you sit with the soles of your feet facing each other and try to bring your feet close to your body.

the touch your toes is a sit and reach test for flexibility, the other one is for hip flexibility.