The 600 calorie muffin

Options

Replies

• BikerChickAlice
    BikerChickAlice Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    They are fine every once in a while, just not on a regular basis. For this to be a lifestyle change you'll have treats. Friday night I had carrot cake! So freaking good... And I'm 95lbs down... Didn't put me back to square one!
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    We are ALL (except for some who already think they know it all) learning...........as the OP did.........and she was shocked (and rightly so)..and she shared this (as is her right)........enough said.........
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    someone on my friends list gets muffins that are 600 cals too, she eats half for breakfast and saves the other half for like snack or even the next day... they must be some really good muffins though lol to try and fit them in like that :)

My personal prefference is to make my own though lol it seems that no matter how I choose to cook something (low cal version or not) they always have soooo many less cals than the premade food, or food you get when going out.... what the heck do they do... inject the food with calories?
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with the food industry. The goal of the food industry is to sell more of their product and make more money. They deliberately take advantage of consumers' ignorance of nutrition and the general public's laziness and refusal to read those every-present food labels in order to do this. The food industry understands that consumers have very little will power and will forego their long-term health in order to fulfill their short-term taste impulses.

The food industry is working fine and meeting it's goals.

What's wrong with consumers today? Why are they refusing to read food labels and bringing home packs of 600 calorie muffins to their loved ones who are trying to be healthy and lose weight? Why are they eating food that doesn't contribute to their health and well-being? Why are they relying on the food industry to tell them what to eat and when to eat it?

Why can't consumers make informed choices for their individual health and nutrition goals, especially with the wide variety of products provided by the food industry and the relative wealth and ability of First World consumers to buy healthy, nutritious food?
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a muffin in maybe.. a year.. I remember they tasted good lol, But now I have learned how to eat better things. It's not the calories I pay attention to really, it's whether it fits into my calorie budget for the day.. I would instead buy the bananas, buy the nuts and eat them separately OR buy ingredients, make them at home and go wild.
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    It does indeed suck. I remember my mom bringing them when I was a kid- sure I was active, but I ate those muffins with a nice glass of milk some mornings- no wonder I was overweight (and my doctor never told me this!! EVER -_-)

But now I've gotten a bit better with age-I was a chubby child. Seeing as child obesity is a huge problem in the U.S. and the 'free market economy' reigns , companies should put more thought into what they put in their food.
  • judtod
    judtod Posts: 85
    Options
    I agree with shannashannab, the government should stop subsidizing corn production. This is a big reason that Americans are eating way too much corn and corn products.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I feel both sides are right. Food companies take advantage of the fact that people aren't very educated about nutrition to sell cheap food that isn't good for them and in fact tends tomake them want more food and to gain weight and build bad health habits that then continue to feed the companies' coffers.

That said, the important thing is that laws require labeling--I certainly remember the days when those nutrition labels were not there!--which is really the best we can ask. Then it's up to us to actually read them.

I would love to see much better nutrition education in the schools, though. Everyone being very aware of what food processors are really trying to do.

And a small scold to Trader Joe's, which is a fantastic store in so many regards, but has a nasty habit of selling foods that clearly look like single-serving packages, and the calories look good, but then you realize when you get home that they're calling it something like 2.5 servings. My husband, a generally aware guy on labels, has been caught on that a few times.
  • lenac03
    lenac03 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    A muffin is just a bald cupcake.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    My breakfast was 600 calories and it was grits and homemade wheat biscuits!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    A muffin is just a bald cupcake.

Too True!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's pretty crap! Shouldn't be allowed.

I hope that was sarcasm. Because I refuse to live in a country that bans food because people can't control themselves. Why should I not be allowed to eat a muffin because others have no self-control?
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with our food industry? My husband brought home some banana nut muffins from Sam's Club today. Honestly, I am not making this up: the nutrition label says each muffin is 600 calories! Really? We can't do better than this? Guess I won't be eating any of them, or maybe just one bite and done. Somehow we need to get the message to those who are responsible for creating these horrors that we want something better for us. I have so many ideas...

I know that if we don't buy them, they won't make them. But when they are so inexpensive, it's an easy choice for the budge-conscious. I think we need to do more to get the message across. What are your ideas?

That's one of the reasons why I bake my own banana nut muffins and cup cake. This allows me to control the sugar, whole wheat flour instead of white flour, brown sugar instead of white.
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Not everyone is fat. Some people CAN eat a 600 calorie muffin once in a while. Just because you can't doesn't mean they should be outlawed.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's pretty crap! Shouldn't be allowed.

I hope that was sarcasm. Because I refuse to live in a country that bans food because people can't control themselves. Why should I not be allowed to eat a muffin because others have no self-control?

Ha! Look around. It's already happening in so many ways.

Guess you'd better start packing your things and figuring out where you're going to emigrate.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    My breakfast was 600 calories and it was grits and homemade wheat biscuits!

BISCUITS!!! Are my all time FAVORITE American food!!!!!!! When I visit America in August I'ma have biscuits for breakfast EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! So excited!
  • latinstarlite1
    latinstarlite1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    For starters the food industry is a business...a business that wants to make MONEY. So these companies will take the cheapest and oftentimes the unhealthiest of ingredients to make something tasty and affordable. These products tend to appeal to the masses and money gets spent by us the consumers.

Yes we know that buying healthy food is more expensive than a few cheeseburgers off of the dollar menu. At the end of the day it's all a choice. If you want to eat healthy, you're gonna have to sacrifice some other amenities in your life and direct that money towards buying wholesome foods. It would be nice if companies weren't allowed to make unhealthy foods. It would also be nice if tobacco companies didn't make cigarettes. . . .uh oh, I said it! :ohwell:

Well Said! Unfortunately this country is based on greed. So there is no one out there that is going to be willing to regulate such things because they themselves are profiting from it. If you want your voice to be heard you have to take a stand and STOP buying the garbage. I understand the OP's shock. I have gone through the same thing. Looking at things that I have always enjoyed eating and realizing that they are not good for me. No matter how cheap they are I just CHOOSE NOT to buy them anymore.

So, Kudos for making your voice heard. But no, you have a choice....
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    For starters the food industry is a business...a business that wants to make MONEY. So these companies will take the cheapest and oftentimes the unhealthiest of ingredients to make something tasty and affordable. These products tend to appeal to the masses and money gets spent by us the consumers.

Yes we know that buying healthy food is more expensive than a few cheeseburgers off of the dollar menu. At the end of the day it's all a choice. If you want to eat healthy, you're gonna have to sacrifice some other amenities in your life and direct that money towards buying wholesome foods. It would be nice if companies weren't allowed to make unhealthy foods. It would also be nice if tobacco companies didn't make cigarettes. . . .uh oh, I said it! :ohwell:

Well Said! Unfortunately this country is based on greed. So there is no one out there that is going to be willing to regulate such things because they themselves are profiting from it. If you want your voice to be heard you have to take a stand and STOP buying the garbage. I understand the OP's shock. I have gone through the same thing. Looking at things that I have always enjoyed eating and realizing that they are not good for me. No matter how cheap they are I just CHOOSE NOT to buy them anymore.

That's sad. I keep buying and eating the things I enjoy, because I enjoy them. And I achieve my body and fitness goals while doing so.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

That's sad. I keep buying and eating the things I enjoy, because I enjoy them. And I achieve my body and fitness goals while doing so.

you lost 40 pounds in the month i've been gone? wow.

or is it just clever advertising?
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    omgzzzz muffins!!!!

I probably gained like 5 pounds from muffins. But they're tasty!! :)