Living in an Unsupportive Household

Options
Hoping to get ideas of how people manage to still eat healthy while living with other people who are not on the same page. I can't really do food prep b/c my family will eat my food, even if I tell them not to. I also can't buy food and freeze it ahead of time (like chicken breasts) because my family will use it to make their own food. Suggestions? At this point, I'm thinking that I will have to buy groceries on a daily basis in order to live a healthy lifestyle...:explode:

Replies

• RickyLuvsMary4ever
    RickyLuvsMary4ever Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yes that would burn me up!

I don't have that problem because I am the opposite of you, I live in a household of lazy folk who will be hungry until I come home and cook. They have all lost weight because I changed my eating habits.

You more than likely will have to food shop everyday if they cannot keep away from your food stores.
  • jesuison
    jesuison Posts: 34
    Options
    Hmmm, that is a tough one. If you have your own room or a garage, maybe one of those little dorm refrigerators in your own private area would do the trick? That way they really are invading your space, and that is beyond not cool.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I save an unappetizing wrapper, like for bean sprouts or something and hide my food in it. I also wrap things in grey walmart has and stick them in the deeper parts of the fridge or freezer. I hide protein bars in the spice cabinet.

It's war here.
  • missfitmt
    missfitmt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    LOL!!! That's awesome! I have to do the same here! It's awful!
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I would try overwhelming them with the sheer quantity of healthy food available. If they like your healthy chicken breasts, make 10 of them for the freezer. It's kinda mean to make yummy healthy food and then not let them eat it. I am the main cook in this house so I feel like it's part of my job to keep the food stocked up. That being said, if I make 10 and 2 are for me and they know that and will not respect it, there will be a Serious.Discussion. Nobody in my family wants to go there... :devil:
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I would try overwhelming them with the sheer quantity of healthy food available. If they like your healthy chicken breasts, make 10 of them for the freezer. It's kinda mean to make yummy healthy food and then not let them eat it. I am the main cook in this house so I feel like it's part of my job to keep the food stocked up. That being said, if I make 10 and 2 are for me and they know that and will not respect it, there will be a Serious.Discussion. Nobody in my family wants to go there... :devil:

This. You mentioned they aren't on the same page, but will eat all of your food? Sounds like they can be inadvertently on the same page! I don't find it any more work to make a large pot of soup as opposed to a small one; I say just make enough for everyone to enjoy.
  • missfitmt
    Options

This. You mentioned they aren't on the same page, but will eat all of your food? Sounds like they can be inadvertently on the same page! I don't find it any more work to make a large pot of soup as opposed to a small one; I say just make enough for everyone to enjoy.

Touche. I guess my post was a little confusing. My family does have the potential to eat healthy(er), but then they'll do things like buy a 16-count box of Drumsticks (ice cream) from Costco. Or, if they eat my food in the freezer, they'll make it in an unhealthy way (like drowning my chicken breasts in fattening sauce).

But you guys are right. I need to stop complaining and be more proactive. Meal prep for 2 days worth of food, and only expect to get 1 day out of it (b/c the rest will be consumed by said family members). It sucks, but it's just how it's going to be while I'm living with other people. Boo. :cry:
  • jennibourne92
    Options
    Buying healthy food is very expensive especially if you are eating organic, so I would be very upset if anyone was eating my chicken breast or fresh fish. Depending on if you work or not, I used to hide most of my good stuff at work. I do shop daily as well but not everyone has time for that. My family brings home chips and white carbs and it just kills me not to eat it but we fitnesspal peeps must all stick together and be strong. Soon we will look better than every single one of them and that's the best revenge.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    What about locking bags or boxes? Plastic tackle boxes with locks attached in some way?
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Can you buy a dorm type fridge for your room? Or if you work - can you hide a few days worth of fly at work in a locked box?

I'm not sure i get the set-up in your home. Are you in charge of meals for everyone? If not, COULD you be, as in getting money to cover food expenses? That way, the food will be healthy. If not, invest in locked boxes or put a fridge in your room.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Start keeping track of the food you buy, as well as how much it costs and start typing up "bills" and hand it to them every
    time they eat your food. If they're going to treat you like a restaurant, then start charging like you are!
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options

Touche. I guess my post was a little confusing. My family does have the potential to eat healthy(er), but then they'll do things like buy a 16-count box of Drumsticks (ice cream) from Costco. Or, if they eat my food in the freezer, they'll make it in an unhealthy way (like drowning my chicken breasts in fattening sauce).

But you guys are right. I need to stop complaining and be more proactive. Meal prep for 2 days worth of food, and only expect to get 1 day out of it (b/c the rest will be consumed by said family members). It sucks, but it's just how it's going to be while I'm living with other people. Boo. :cry:

I feel for you, man. I can't even buy drumsticks because I will consume them all. I don't even enjoy ice cream all that much really, but those things are like my crack.

But the rest of it gets better. My roommate frequently makes cookies or brownies, which would be fine, but she leaves them out on the counter. I used to completely blow everything whenever she made cookies, but now I can have one instead of five. Or even just a half. It gets easier to say no to going overboard, and we don't get to dictate what other adults eat.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Is this family as in other half and kids, or as in parents and siblings?

Because if it is hubby and kids, you need to start laying down the smackdown.

If it is parents and siblings, and you are buying your own food and they eat it, you need to... well, start laying down the smackdown.

If you are buying food, with your money, for you, then it isn't cool that anyone is eating it. So my first point would be to call a family meeting and set out the ground rules. Pick yourself a shelf in the fridge, freezer and pantry, claim it as your own and raise hell if it is violated.

If your family is one of those who don't listen no matter what, then consider the above regarding a fridge of your own. But first step - stand your ground and let them know that helping themselves is NOT cool!!
  • missfitmt
    Options
    Buying healthy food is very expensive especially if you are eating organic, so I would be very upset if anyone was eating my chicken breast or fresh fish. Depending on if you work or not, I used to hide most of my good stuff at work. I do shop daily as well but not everyone has time for that. My family brings home chips and white carbs and it just kills me not to eat it but we fitnesspal peeps must all stick together and be strong. Soon we will look better than every single one of them and that's the best revenge.

Exactly! Stuff like quinoa pasta or grass-fed beef is not cheap!
  • missfitmt
    Options
    Is this family as in other half and kids, or as in parents and siblings?

Because if it is hubby and kids, you need to start laying down the smackdown.

If it is parents and siblings, and you are buying your own food and they eat it, you need to... well, start laying down the smackdown.

If you are buying food, with your money, for you, then it isn't cool that anyone is eating it. So my first point would be to call a family meeting and set out the ground rules. Pick yourself a shelf in the fridge, freezer and pantry, claim it as your own and raise hell if it is violated.

If your family is one of those who don't listen no matter what, then consider the above regarding a fridge of your own. But first step - stand your ground and let them know that helping themselves is NOT cool!!

It's parents and siblings. My father suggested that I keep whatever I want to hide in the BUTTER COMPARTMENT of the fridge. I laughed when he said that. I don't know what I can realistically keep on that tiny shelf.

Getting my own mini fridge is a great idea, but I'm not sure they will respect it. I'm gone a lot of the day (at work) and my room is pretty much fair game while I'm gone. A tackle box with a lock though...now there's an idea :tongue:
  • missfitmt
    Options

I feel for you, man. I can't even buy drumsticks because I will consume them all. I don't even enjoy ice cream all that much really, but those things are like my crack.

But the rest of it gets better. My roommate frequently makes cookies or brownies, which would be fine, but she leaves them out on the counter. I used to completely blow everything whenever she made cookies, but now I can have one instead of five. Or even just a half. It gets easier to say no to going overboard, and we don't get to dictate what other adults eat.

I really like the saying that willpower is like a muscle - it gets stronger the more you use it. Living with family is definitely a test of my willpower on a daily basis. I'd have such a hard time saying no to cookies and brownies...unless they were protein cookies or brownies :laugh:
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    buy veg for a couple of days, and 1 serving meat fresh on the day, if you can grab that on the way home. stir frys :)
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, that is a tough one. If you have your own room or a garage, maybe one of those little dorm refrigerators in your own private area would do the trick? That way they really are invading your space, and that is beyond not cool.
    This is a really good idea. so is having a drawer or hiding place for dry foods.

When I have food that I've made for myself or anything else i want people not to eat, I tape a little note on it saying "NO TOUCHING!" And it works. Maybe worth a try.

It sounds like if your family eats your stuff, they are willing to eat your way. They seem to want to just eat what's easily available.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I must be a real cow in real life, because I can't imagine not kicking some severe *kitten* if I was in this situation. Why should you bend to accommodate them? It's your stuff you pay for with your money, right? How is it OK for them to *violate your personal space* and *steal your things* - because that's what this is, right? Even your room isn't safe when you're at work!?

Girl, you need to kick a whole bunch of *kitten*.