Anyone here over 50, eating more than 50% carbohydrates?

umayster
umayster Posts: 651 Member
edited September 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Just curious how us middle aged folk are eating now that we're old and wise? ;)

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2015
    Not me. I think. I'd bet I average under 100 grams most days. Probably eat around 1400. I'm in menopause and definitely find that lowering my carbs a bit (and eating SLOWER carbs) makes it all more manageable. Fewer menopausal symptoms. Easier to control cravings and hunger. Just better. I eat tons of veg. Just limit the heavily refined junk carbs. The rest takes care of itself

My labs are spectacular. I've been at my goal weight for 14 years. I run. I lift. I do Pilates.

ETA: yep. At about 1400 today with under 100 grams of carbs.
  • umayster
    Yep. Lower blood serum levels than my doc - three years running. I'm 53. He's half my age. Killing my bootcamp workouts every week. The 20 somethings try it and quit half way through; or if they survive, don't return. The HIIT component has given me a resting heart rate of around 52 bpm; VO2MAX around 48 ml/kg/min. (per this calculator: http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/articles/vo2-and-vo2max.aspx#whatarenormalVO2maxvalues)

I usually come in around 60% carbs or so last time I checked. I don't really pay much attention to it...

You sound very fit, how about health?
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    I'm 60. I've been at my goal weight for nearly 3 years. I have no health problems and still have the energy and stamina to teach seventh grade. I don't take medications for anything. All is, fortunately well. I eat a lot of carbs, around 55% of my diet.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,164 Member
    My macros are 35% carbs and protein and 30% fat. Most of the time I am below 100 grams carbs or just barely above. I feel and perform better that way since protein and fat keep me full and satisfied longer. I have excellent lab results and the only meds that I am on are for a hypo thyroid. Maybe that is why I do better with lower carbs. I am 71 years old.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    How about people over 100 eating more than 50% carbs? I wonder if there were enough of them to fill a small south eastern island?
    VEGAN+VEGETARIAN+CENTENARIANS+-+Okinawa+Diet+-+PIE+CHART+-+98%25+Vegetarian+-+96%25+Vegan+-+Only+1%25+Pork+-+Scientific+Study.jpg
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2015
    senecarr wrote: »
    How about people over 100 eating more than 50% carbs? I wonder if there were enough of them to fill a small south eastern island?
    VEGAN+VEGETARIAN+CENTENARIANS+-+Okinawa+Diet+-+PIE+CHART+-+98%25+Vegetarian+-+96%25+Vegan+-+Only+1%25+Pork+-+Scientific+Study.jpg

Interesting chart. When one considers WHERE the carbs are coming from, and AREN'T.
  • umayster

I would imagine very few of us are Okinawan and eat an authentic Okinawan diet, their stats might be of limited use here in the USA with our very different diet and genetics.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    umayster wrote: »

I would imagine very few of us are Okinawan and eat an authentic Okinawan diet, their stats might be of limited use here in the USA with our very different diet and genetics.

What on that chart is exclusively Okinawan?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Yep. Lower blood serum levels than my doc - three years running. I'm 53. He's half my age. Killing my bootcamp workouts every week. The 20 somethings try it and quit half way through; or if they survive, don't return. The HIIT component has given me a resting heart rate of around 52 bpm; VO2MAX around 48 ml/kg/min. (per this calculator: http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/articles/vo2-and-vo2max.aspx#whatarenormalVO2maxvalues)

I usually come in around 60% carbs or so last time I checked. I don't really pay much attention to it...

Have I told you lately that you're awesome?

Because you're awesome.
  • senecarr

I don't think humans are that genetically diverse. There certainly is no evolutionary pressure to live to be 100 years old.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited September 2015

I don't think humans are that genetically diverse. There certainly is no evolutionary pressure to live to be 100 years old.

Don't be ridiculous - there has to be a huge evolutionary advantage to pooping in your pants and eating blended meatloaf while watching Matlock.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    I eat around 50% carbs because I am mostly eating vegetarian -- lots beans.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member

Interesting, the chart references a study entitled
    The diet of the world's longest-lived people and its potential impact on morbidity and life span
    while the real title is:
    Caloric restriction, the traditional Okinawan diet, and healthy aging: the diet of the world's longest-lived people and its potential impact on morbidity and life span
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17986602
    So who did the chart could manage to omit an important piece of information.
    Here is the whole study:
    http://www.researchgate.net/publication/5859391_Caloric_Restriction_the_Traditional_Okinawan_Diet_and_Healthy_Aging_The_Diet_of_the_World's_Longest-Lived_People_and_Its_Potential_Impact_on_Morbidity_and_Life_Span
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Cut your carbs. 35 percent good. ;)
  • senecarr

Don't be ridiculous - there has to be a huge evolutionary advantage to pooping in your pants and eating blended meatloaf while watching Matlock.

I don't like your version of evolution.
  • senecarr

The diet of the world's longest-lived people and its potential impact on morbidity and life span
    while the real title is:
    Caloric restriction, the traditional Okinawan diet, and healthy aging: the diet of the world's longest-lived people and its potential impact on morbidity and life span
    Here is the whole study:
    http://www.researchgate.net/publication/5859391_Caloric_Restriction_the_Traditional_Okinawan_Diet_and_Healthy_Aging_The_Diet_of_the_World's_Longest-Lived_People_and_Its_Potential_Impact_on_Morbidity_and_Life_Span
    I can't quite parse that. Are you asking who was omitted from the study, or what was omitted from the study, or which of those were dropped in titling the graph?

Beyond the genetics of Okinawans, there is evidence that all mammalian aging is partially controlled by mTOR pathways, and that reduced protein consumption, and replacing it with either calorie restriction, or even substitution with carbohydrates appears to involve lowered mTOR activation.
    It is something that actually worries me to an extent - it would seem that for all the health benefits, weight lifting, as one of the drivers of protein synthesis, might actually be burning through cellular life span faster to accomplish the creation of muscle. I'd sure hate it if it turns out that we really do live in a world of the candle that burns hottest burns out fastest.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member

Interesting chart. When one considers WHERE the carbs are coming from, and AREN'T.
    Can not be overlooked...
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member

while the real title is:
    Here is the whole study:
    I can't quite parse that. Are you asking who was omitted from the study, or what was omitted from the study, or which of those were dropped in titling the graph?

Beyond the genetics of Okinawans, there is evidence that all mammalian aging is partially controlled by mTOR pathways, and that reduced protein consumption, and replacing it with either calorie restriction, or even substitution with carbohydrates appears to involve lowered mTOR activation.
    It is something that actually worries me to an extent - it would seem that for all the health benefits, weight lifting, as one of the drivers of protein synthesis, might actually be burning through cellular life span faster to accomplish the creation of muscle. I'd sure hate it if it turns out that we really do live in a world of the candle that burns hottest burns out fastest.

Language barrier, I suppose. I'm not asking anything.

• senecarr

while the real title is:
    Here is the whole study:

Language barrier, I suppose. I'm not asking anything.
    I see now. It got turned into a sentence fragment by capitalizing it. I still fail to see how the study itself looking at calorie restriction removes the fact that the longest live people on this planet do eat a high carbohydrate diet.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    When I lived on Okinawa, I noted that Okinawans were not overweight and were active. For example:
    - Many of them used bicycles or walked.
    - As I bicycled to work in the AM, I noticed groups of people exercising together - it looked to me like Thai Chi, but was probably an Okinawan version thereof. It seemed like something coworkers were doing together before their work day started.