New to low carb... Any tips?

Options
124»

Replies

• wittpilotswife
    Options
    IronPlayground, sorry, I should have specified. Insanity, Asylum, and Chalean Extreme. I actually have never tried shakeology.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    IronPlayground, sorry, I should have specified. Insanity, Asylum, and Chalean Extreme. I actually have never tried shakeology.

Fair enough! :smile:
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Wow there is some hostility in here. Obviously, you have gotten advice from complete opposite views. If the reason for this decision is not for medical reasons, then I would suggest do as much research as possible. Which, by this post, you are trying to do. There are groups within MFP that focus on low carb diets.

^^ THIS.....
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I like low carb because the things i over eat on are beer - pizza - bread - chips - candy etc etc etc... so it works for me ...

Just eat lots of veggies and carbs that way and buy some flax meal and get a good cook book and look up lots of recipes.
    Drink a lot of water. Find good alternatives to the bread.

I really feel better without the flour and sugar in my diet... it's just a different type of full...

good luck!!!
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My own experience. I am doing a diet that allows carbs one night a week. first its no carbs (less than 30 grams) for 10 days. Well today is day 10 for me been feeling great loving life more energy and weight is dropping fast no stomach problems. Had my first carb loaded meal half an hour ago feel sluggish like I have the flu. So I say low carb feels great and I love it.

However 17 days of low carb you are going to see the weight come back with a vengence and there is nothing you can do about it if you stop after 17 days. It has to be a long term change.

Carb Nite....it's a great book. I did follow it for a bit, and it definitely taught me how to eat differently. I still do carb days, but I upped my carbs to 100 - 120g (except today, don't judge me :)

LOL no judgement. I think when I get to my goal weight I will maintain by doing something similar. Certainly not going out eating what ever carbs I want in a day. I like the way I feel on low carb.
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna put this out there and maybe y'all can enlighten me ....but I totally don't get this whole DON'T EAT CARBS thing there is such a debate on this !! Like whole wheat is bad has gluten, white has no nutrients, complex carbs , simple carbs , don't eat that banana it HAS CARBS .... Honey too...but honey benefits us in sooooooooo many other ways !! I'm really beginning to lose my faith in science folks :( my motto is anything in moderation ....and anything edile that was naturally put here on earth is fair game ! But when it comes to BREAD the closest to natural is Ezekiel ....and now that's questionable ?!? Newby here And soooo frustrated with CARBS !! :)
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My own experience. I am doing a diet that allows carbs one night a week. first its no carbs (less than 30 grams) for 10 days. Well today is day 10 for me been feeling great loving life more energy and weight is dropping fast no stomach problems. Had my first carb loaded meal half an hour ago feel sluggish like I have the flu. So I say low carb feels great and I love it. Carbs taste great but dont make you feel as good.

However 17 days of low carb you are going to see the weight come back with a vengence and there is nothing you can do about it if you stop after 17 days. It has to be a long term change.
    This is a long term change, it is not just 17days, it is 3 cycles of changing your habits then the 4th once you reach goal weight is maitenance. Read the book please.

Well in that case more power to you. the OP should have explained that we can't all be up on every diet out there. I do believe my original post was supportive in nature ie agreeing with low carb living.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna put this out there and maybe y'all can enlighten me ....but I totally don't get this whole DON'T EAT CARBS thing there is such a debate on this !! Like whole wheat is bad has gluten, white has no nutrients, complex carbs , simple carbs , don't eat that banana it HAS CARBS .... Honey too...but honey benefits us in sooooooooo many other ways !! I'm really beginning to lose my faith in science folks :( my motto is anything in moderation ....and anything edile that was naturally put here on earth is fair game ! But when it comes to BREAD the closest to natural is Ezekiel ....and now that's questionable ?!? Newby here And soooo frustrated with CARBS !! :)

There's the belief that high GI foods spike insulin and promote fat storage. So, people will tend to avoid foods that are higher on the GI index. However, since you can't create something out of nothing, it would be difficult to store fat when you are at an energy deficit at the end of the day. I'm talking about people with no known medical issues. Also, when something such as white rice (high GI) is paired with a lean protein (low GI) the average of the meal is much lower and a non issue.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    FYI:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

5. No Public Posting of Private Conversations

Do not publicly post an email or private message from any other MyFitnessPal user, moderator or administrator at any time.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    FYI:

Do not publicly post an email or private message from any other MyFitnessPal user, moderator or administrator at any time.
    strong argument bro, good to see someone fighting their battles with logic and facts.
    I didn't quote your name anywhere BTW
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    FYI:

strong argument bro, good to see someone fighting their battles with logic and facts.

Er check your post again. You did include my name. You called me a *kitten* and posted a private conversation.

The funny thing is that you can't even claim you accidentally copied it, because there's a typo in it. You actually typed my name into that post.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    FYI:

You may want to check this out, http://www.apa.org/topics/anger/control.aspx
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    FYI:

Er check your post again. You did include my name. You called me a *kitten* and posted a private conversation.

The funny thing is that you can't even claim you accidentally copied it, because there's a typo in it. You actually typed my name into that post.
    how about you address the issue where we got into this in the first place instead of whining about terms and conditions. Wanna get me banned because you aren't looking so good? Go ahead maybe it'll hold up
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    My tip would be DON'T DO IT. It's very restrictive and you can mess up your body chemistry, bone density, and kidneys. I did Atkins when I was in my 20s and lost weight but also didn't feel good or "normal" for at least six months. It is not a normal state for the body to be in. The only carb anybody should give up is sugar.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

That's my problem, I don't DO moderation. I would eat half a loaf of bread, or an entire family size bag of chips. I am a carb queen! But when I started doing 100g or less, I felt way better. I don't feel sluggish or bloated constantly. I'm a carb fanatic, that's why I give myself 1 day. Or else I'll binge. I understand the "everything in moderation" but when it comes to carbs, i could easily pack away 300-400g a day.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    On rest day lower carb and higher fat intake and on excercise day bit more carb.
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options

That's my problem, I don't DO moderation. I would eat half a loaf of bread, or an entire family size bag of chips. I am a carb queen! But when I started doing 100g or less, I felt way better. I don't feel sluggish or bloated constantly. I'm a carb fanatic, that's why I give myself 1 day. Or else I'll binge. I understand the "everything in moderation" but when it comes to carbs, i could easily pack away 300-400g a day.

^ Me too! When it comes to moderation and carbs - nope doesn't exist in my will power! haha It's easier for me just to not eat bread etc. (I use flax meal instead) and not eat chips bla bla bla - glad I'm not the only one!