Gym Pet Peeves

Options
MuscleAndMascara
MuscleAndMascara Posts: 1,259 Member
I know I have seen a thread like this posted before, but it has been a long time. So let's hear it! What annoys you, gets under your skin and makes you crazy?

Replies

• Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,465 Member
    Options
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2F25.media.tumblr.com%2Ftumblr_m5w5pzdjRc1qzvu53o1_r2_500.gif&f=1
  • Building_Bulk
    Building_Bulk Posts: 20,596 Member
    Options
    People who want to talk to me when I am working out. My wearing headphones and totally ignoring you should be a hint to go away.
  • MuscleAndMascara
    Options
    Non_Stop wrote: »
    When guys are disrespectful to women. Just because she's in workout attire and looking good doesn't give guys the right to make her feel uncomfortable. I'll never understand how a guy expects a woman to react positively to that kind of behavior...I guess some women like that kind of attention?

I would agree with you to a point here. If a woman is focused, her hair up, sweating and listening to her headphones. She obviously does not want to be hit on. If a woman has her hair down and all pretty, mostly sitting on her phone and no head phones in. I even think she is there for attention. and as far as the gym clothes... there is a difference here too. If her yoga pants are so tight that you can see her soul through them... I'd say it's advertisement.

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Leaving weights on the barbell when you finish. I never know if the person is just off getting water or is done with the equipment.
    People that walk right in front of me when I'm deadlifting. That's highly distracting.
    Also that guy that is always surrounded by 5 different sets of dumbbells.
  • AutumnFREESPIRIT
    AutumnFREESPIRIT Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    When someone is sitting on a machine Texting or surfing on their phone.
  • mlcollins89
    mlcollins89 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    Leaving weights on the barbell when you finish. I never know if the person is just off getting water or is done with the equipment.
    People that walk right in front of me when I'm deadlifting. That's highly distracting.
    Also that guy that is always surrounded by 5 different sets of dumbbells.

This! Or people just generally getting in your SPACE while you're squatting, lunging, lifting.... Like let me live!! I don't really care about guys or gals hitting on me at the gym... I usually just throw out some stink face and carry on.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    When guys are disrespectful to women. Just because she's in workout attire and looking good doesn't give guys the right to make her feel uncomfortable. I'll never understand how a guy expects a woman to react positively to that kind of behavior...I guess some women like that kind of attention?

I would agree with you to a point here. If a woman is focused, her hair up, sweating and listening to her headphones. She obviously does not want to be hit on. If a woman has her hair down and all pretty, mostly sitting on her phone and no head phones in. I even think she is there for attention. and as far as the gym clothes... there is a difference here too. If her yoga pants are so tight that you can see her soul through them... I'd say it's advertisement.

I dunno ... I kind of feel like there's a double standard here. If a guy is looking good and wearing clothes that show off his muscles, etc, we wouldn't say he's advertising.

Many ladies wear form-fitting clothes to workout in for comfort (it's awkward when loose stuff gets caught on a machine, it weights, etc) and because they feel good in them, not to seek attention. Same with hair, makeup, etc -- maybe she just came from work or something. I honestly think very few women go to the gym to get picked up on (I don't think I've seen more than 1, if that, at my gym)

I'd say @Non_Stop has the right advice. Don't be a creeper at the gym (and ladies, this goes for you, too ... don't creep on the guys :wink:)
  • mathjulz
    Options
    And for my pet peeve ... people who don't put away their weights when done. While I am capable of taking the 45s off the bar, that doesn't mean I should have to clean up after you, and no one wants to trip over the random plates or dumbbells you leave lying around.
  • mathjulz
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »

I dunno ... I kind of feel like there's a double standard here. If a guy is looking good and wearing clothes that show off his muscles, etc, we wouldn't say he's advertising.

Many ladies wear form-fitting clothes to workout in for comfort (it's awkward when loose stuff gets caught on a machine, it weights, etc) and because they feel good in them, not to seek attention. Same with hair, makeup, etc -- maybe she just came from work or something. I honestly think very few women go to the gym to get picked up on (I don't think I've seen more than 1, if that, at my gym)

I'd say @Non_Stop has the right advice. Don't be a creeper at the gym (and ladies, this goes for you, too ... don't creep on the guys :wink:)

Ladies, feel free to totally creep on me.

LOL, okay, now that you've sent the invitation!!
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to workout next to someone who is drenched in perfume, perfumed lotions, or cologne. Specifically if I'm doing cardio.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Giving someone attention that makes them uncomfortable isn't acceptable in any way, even if they are dressing and acting like they want to be noticed

It's also not cool to assume that someone wants to be hit on or harassed because of the way they dress. Maybe her pants are so tight because she gained weight. Or it's just hard to find well fitting pants.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,255 Member
    Options
    When people get upset at me for working out hard, making noise and sweating all over the place. I’m there to get my sweat on not to think about working out. If that’s what you want to do then fine go join a One Life or one of those “Not a gym” places.
    Also, when somebody try’s to shank me in the middle of my W/O, dang I know the yard can be tough at times but let me get my work out on before you try and shank me. Have some respect.
  • TrailBlazzinMN
    TrailBlazzinMN Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    When someone is hogging up the pink weights. Rotator cuffs need some lovin' too
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,255 Member
    Options
    When someone is sitting on a machine Texting or surfing on their phone.

TRUE!!! I hate that too!
  • TrailBlazzinMN
    TrailBlazzinMN Posts: 509 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Giving someone attention that makes them uncomfortable isn't acceptable in any way, even if they are dressing and acting like they want to be noticed

It's also not cool to assume that someone wants to be hit on or harassed because of the way they dress. Maybe her pants are so tight because she gained weight. Or it's just hard to find well fitting pants.

I agree. When I wear my spandex shorts, I feel good. My bulge looks good, my a$s looks hot, and I'm ready to rock. I shouldn't have to worry about women hitting on me or giving me unwanted attention. I may want women to want me but I don't want them to look at me like I'm a piece of meat. I'm a person too. With feelings. :'(
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Wearing headphones DOES NOT keep a fart from making noise and smelling.
    Just sayin'.
  • MuscleAndMascara
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »

OK FINE! I wont creep on you at the gym then.. JK but you guys do have a valid point. fair enough

• MuscleAndMascara
    Options

disagree: If your pants are so tight that you can see ever vag fold.. sorry don't wear it.
    agree: if it makes the person uncomfortable, don't do it.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options

Regardless of her activity or appearance, does it excuse guys to still be disrespectful by murmuring and making cat calls? They could just grow a pair and approach her instead no?

omg yes of course. there is absolutely nothing a woman is doing or wearing that 'advertises' to be treated disrespectfully or poorly or in any demeaning way.

I thought we all knew this.

Thanks for the post.