Gym Pet Peeves

Options

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Women in the free weight section. I can't stand bulky women.
  • MuscleAndMascara
    MuscleAndMascara Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    Wearing headphones DOES NOT keep a fart from making noise and smelling.
    Just sayin'.

Good advice lol

• MuscleAndMascara
    MuscleAndMascara Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to workout next to someone who is drenched in perfume, perfumed lotions, or cologne. Specifically if I'm doing cardio.

I agree on this one

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

cavemen throwing around their mentality at the gym. I REMEMBER the no women allowed signs,...so glad they are illegal now so let go of the mindset or cavemen go workout in your cave!

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »

cavemen throwing around their mentality at the gym. I REMEMBER the no women allowed signs,...so glad they are illegal now so let go of the mindset or cavemen go workout in your cave!

Not sure if he's a caveman or just a troll. :trollface: LOL
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Non_Stop wrote: »
    When guys are disrespectful to women. Just because she's in workout attire and looking good doesn't give guys the right to make her feel uncomfortable. I'll never understand how a guy expects a woman to react positively to that kind of behavior...I guess some women like that kind of attention?

I would agree with you to a point here. If a woman is focused, her hair up, sweating and listening to her headphones. She obviously does not want to be hit on. If a woman has her hair down and all pretty, mostly sitting on her phone and no head phones in. I even think she is there for attention. and as far as the gym clothes... there is a difference here too. If her yoga pants are so tight that you can see her soul through them... I'd say it's advertisement.

absolutely not
    maybe she is taking a break. maybe her hair tie broke. yoga pants are always tight and some cuts do a body better than others and maybe she just hasn't done laundry yet for her better fitting pants to be clean to wear.
    ugh assumptions.
    when i gymed, i didn't tie up my hair, often was coordinating with other people so took phone breaks. and i expanded so my pants didn't fit right. it was certainly not an invitation. and neither is make up-my eyeliner is sweat proof

if i am at the gym-do not talk to me. i'm not interested in chit chat
  • _Waffle_
    Options

Caveman? Men are not only stronger than women, they're smarter too.

:trollface:
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options

...Damn it... I'll just take the free weights to the back corner and do some rows in shame now. And eat a donut to balance it out to not be offensive. ;)

My peeve is general gym folk crowding me. And the self-conscious me (which I understand is ridiculous and deserves a "Get over yourself") gets twitchy when I'm doing some form of deadlift/squat/row and I look over and make eye contact with someone else. Makes me go all Gollum in my head... Sigh.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »

[sarcasm]
    [/sarcasm]

Is that better?
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Curls in the squat rack, bench press in the Smith machine, college punks who don't unrack the 300# of plates they failed to lift.....
  • _Waffle_
    Options

...Damn it... I'll just take the free weights to the back corner and do some rows in shame now. And eat a donut to balance it out to not be offensive. ;)

My peeve is general gym folk crowding me. And the self-conscious me (which I understand is ridiculous and deserves a "Get over yourself") gets twitchy when I'm doing some form of deadlift/squat/row and I look over and make eye contact with someone else. Makes me go all Gollum in my head... Sigh.

Right on. I sometimes see complaints about the equipment in these threads but generally it's people. People are the worst.
  • mathjulz
    Options

[sarcasm]
    [/sarcasm]

Is that better?

Makes more sense, yes. (I've seen enough of your posts to know it was either not serious or mild trolling)
  • mathjulz
    Options

I get a bit twitchy about crowding, too. Like the guys doing their curls practically on top of the weight rack ("hey, I need those, can I just maybe sneak past ..."). And people getting too close on the side when I'm doing squats or deadlifts. I have iffy peripheral vision and I always think they're closer than they are, like close enough for me to hit them with the bar. Throws off my form.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Right on. I sometimes see complaints about the equipment in these threads but generally it's people. People are the worst.

Totally and forever. Gotta have people there to ultimately have a peeve. All those lonely weights don't Ghost themselves in the way.
    I get a bit twitchy about crowding, too. Like the guys doing their curls practically on top of the weight rack ("hey, I need those, can I just maybe sneak past ..."). And people getting too close on the side when I'm doing squats or deadlifts. I have iffy peripheral vision and I always think they're closer than they are, like close enough for me to hit them with the bar. Throws off my form.

Just a general rule of thumb is for me to keep away from the racks when someone else is currently using them. I help rack up my fiancé's bar and sometimes someone's on the next one over... always end up Matrix-ing that stuff just to be safe.
  • Badger_Girl99
    Badger_Girl99 Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Women who throw their crap (shoes, bags, makeup, clothes, towels) all over the locker room like it's their own bathroom. Oh, and people who text in the squat rack, on a machine, etc. - hurry up and get out so I can get in there.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    People that put stuff in a locker without a lock. Not because I care about their stuff, but because then I open 9 lockers in a row trying to put my junk away and they're full. Sometimes I want to passive-aggressively (or just aggressively?) lock their stuff in with mine just for some revenge on the 14 seconds of my life wasted opening full lockers.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Women who throw their crap (shoes, bags, makeup, clothes, towels) all over the locker room like it's their own bathroom. Oh, and people who text in the squat rack, on a machine, etc. - hurry up and get out so I can get in there.

thank you. i think this behavior is so pretentious.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    When guys are disrespectful to women. Just because she's in workout attire and looking good doesn't give guys the right to make her feel uncomfortable. I'll never understand how a guy expects a woman to react positively to that kind of behavior...I guess some women like that kind of attention?

I would agree with you to a point here. If a woman is focused, her hair up, sweating and listening to her headphones. She obviously does not want to be hit on. If a woman has her hair down and all pretty, mostly sitting on her phone and no head phones in. I even think she is there for attention. and as far as the gym clothes... there is a difference here too. If her yoga pants are so tight that you can see her soul through them... I'd say it's advertisement.

I dunno ... I kind of feel like there's a double standard here. If a guy is looking good and wearing clothes that show off his muscles, etc, we wouldn't say he's advertising.

Many ladies wear form-fitting clothes to workout in for comfort (it's awkward when loose stuff gets caught on a machine, it weights, etc) and because they feel good in them, not to seek attention. Same with hair, makeup, etc -- maybe she just came from work or something. I honestly think very few women go to the gym to get picked up on (I don't think I've seen more than 1, if that, at my gym)

I'd say @Non_Stop has the right advice. Don't be a creeper at the gym (and ladies, this goes for you, too ... don't creep on the guys :wink:)

Ladies, feel free to totally creep on me.

Creeping initiated.

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

Like taking pictures of the woman on the elliptical in front of you? :joy: