Energy level when At Maintenance

Options
I'm 13 lbs away from my goal weight (which would be 90 lbs total). I've been having issues with energy levels (even though the weight loss has slowed down) being very poor. I'm wondering if from experience anyone can say that their energy picked up after going into Maintenance? I think my body is tired of the 15 month deficit.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Are you eating enough? And what's your macros like? Perhaps you need a diet break? ? Fuel your body and your energy levels will soar :smile:
    I am always bursting with energy and am super active ...the only times I've lacked energy is when I've overdid things which led to burn out.
    In the 2 years I've been maintaining that's happened to me twice and lasted few weeks both times. I just needed a proper rest.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Decrease your deficit. The less you have to lose, the smaller your deficit should be, or yeah, that's what happens.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Decrease your deficit. The less you have to lose, the smaller your deficit should be, or yeah, that's what happens.

This.
    You should probably be at a 0.5 lbs loss a week now.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? And what's your macros like? Perhaps you need a diet break? ? Fuel your body and your energy levels will soar :smile:
    I am always bursting with energy and am super active ...the only times I've lacked energy is when I've overdid things which led to burn out.
    In the 2 years I've been maintaining that's happened to me twice and lasted few weeks both times. I just needed a proper rest.

I'm eating right st around 1500 cals a day (started at 1600) The loss has averaged 1 -1.5 lb per wk. I'm sleeping more than enough. Yes, it's slowed down in the past month. I am now at .5-.75 lb per week. Before I run to the doctor I'd like to see if it's possibly related to the deficit. My metabolism must have slowed (TMI) because I only go #2 every 2-3 days now!that's been for the past 3 months.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @mommarnurse Ahh so you're constipated! ! Well that'll reflect a feeling of lethargy/fatigue for sure. ..you need to add more fibre and fruit to get things going again... I find grapefruit and prunes work great for that issue. :smile:
    And weight loss does slow off the nearer you get to goal. Tighten up your logging, it's amazing how a few extra hundred calories that are unaccounted for does for our weight loss. 1/2 to 1lb loss per week is very acceptable loss.

For me when I was in weight loss mode I was lucky to lose 1/2lb/week but this gal loves to eat as many cals as possible and still lose :smiley: ( I can lose eating 1900 gross cals / maintain on 2200 / 5ft2"/46yrs / active)
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    If you have no energy, take a deficit break!

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    It's possible you are low in iron, I notice I feel fatigued when my iron is low. Additionally make sure you are getting plenty of protein and healthy fats.
  • mommarnurse
    Options
    @mommarnurse Ahh so you're constipated! ! Well that'll reflect a feeling of lethargy/fatigue for sure. ..you need to add more fibre and fruit to get things going again... I find grapefruit and prunes work great for that issue. :smile:
    And weight loss does slow off the nearer you get to goal. Tighten up your logging, it's amazing how a few extra hundred calories that are unaccounted for does for our weight loss. 1/2 to 1lb loss per week is very acceptable loss.

For me when I was in weight loss mode I was lucky to lose 1/2lb/week but this gal loves to eat as many cals as possible and still lose :smiley: ( I can lose eating 1900 gross cals / maintain on 2200 / 5ft2"/46yrs / active)

You're right. I don't eat enough fruit. In fact, I hardly eat fruit at all. I am not a big fan of the sugary fruitiness of, well, fruit. I can eat vegetables til no tomorrow, though. I might try some fiber supplementing (or force myself to eat fruit!) However, I think I'm still getting enough fiber in general through vegetables and whole grains. So I just don't know.
  • mommarnurse
    Options
    MissJay75 wrote: »
    It's possible you are low in iron, I notice I feel fatigued when my iron is low. Additionally make sure you are getting plenty of protein and healthy fats.

I hardly ever eat red meat!
  • PegMoffat
    PegMoffat Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you are not eating much red meat you may be low in B12 which will also make you feel fatigued.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Also note that iron supplements can cause constipation, so if that is already a possible issue, you may want to get that straightened out first. One of the easiest and non-invasive things for this is Miralaax. It's a powder you dissolve in any liquid, and you don't even know it's there. No flavor, no grit. It adds water back into your intestines, allowing things to move along better. It's absolutely non-habit forming. Nor will your body adjust to it over time. My daughter has used it daily since she was 2 years old. Works wonders.

I suggest heading to your Dr who can actually test your vitamin & mineral levels, and allow him/her to guide you.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Yes, Miralax and colase are our friends! :) I don't each much fruit other than an apple. I get quite a bit of fiber from snacking on Fiber One cereal every day, as well as the Tumaros wraps I make my lunches from.
  • mommyof4cpa
    mommyof4cpa Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? I've noticed that as daylight starts to fade this time of year my fatigue levels go up without anything else in my life changing.

Also, I take a B12 and D3 vitamin due to low levels of each (per bloodwork when I had my thyroid tested). I know that if I forget for a couple of days (3-4) then my fatigue levels also go up.
  • mommarnurse
    Options
    MissJay75 wrote: »
    Also note that iron supplements can cause constipation, so if that is already a possible issue, you may want to get that straightened out first. One of the easiest and non-invasive things for this is Miralaax. It's a powder you dissolve in any liquid, and you don't even know it's there. No flavor, no grit. It adds water back into your intestines, allowing things to move along better. It's absolutely non-habit forming. Nor will your body adjust to it over time. My daughter has used it daily since she was 2 years old. Works wonders.

I suggest heading to your Dr who can actually test your vitamin & mineral levels, and allow him/her to guide you.
    I have some in my pantry because I also have had to use is on my child. I'm going to try it next time I go more than one day. Thanks :) I can already tell I'm going to have a hell of a time getting off the last 13 lbs (I've plateaued this past week - yes I know it takes more than a week technically), I can tell. I'm forcing myself to drink way more water and trying to avoid caffeine to keep me going. I think I should get some blood work done.
  • mommarnurse
    Options
    Where do you live? I've noticed that as daylight starts to fade this time of year my fatigue levels go up without anything else in my life changing.

Also, I take a B12 and D3 vitamin due to low levels of each (per bloodwork when I had my thyroid tested). I know that if I forget for a couple of days (3-4) then my fatigue levels also go up.

I live in Florida. I think the heat actually makes it worse for me! (Maybe cause I don't have to deal with snow?)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My energy level never dropped and has been higher since I lost weight. Check water, sleep, and basic health.
  • mommyof4cpa
    mommyof4cpa Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida. I think the heat actually makes it worse for me! (Maybe cause I don't have to deal with snow?)

Lack of daylight might not be your issue then :)

Heat is a huge energy drain for me

• LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm 13 lbs away from my goal weight (which would be 90 lbs total). I've been having issues with energy levels (even though the weight loss has slowed down) being very poor. I'm wondering if from experience anyone can say that their energy picked up after going into Maintenance? I think my body is tired of the 15 month deficit.

I am always low on energy if I am not eating enough especially with exercising. Are you exercising? Maybe you aren't eating enough based on how much you are exercising.
    I am surprised how many people on MFP survive on low calorie diets with heavy exercising.
    Also as others stated get a general blood test, check your vitamin levels. Deficiencies cause fatigue.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Also try probiotics if you feel your system is slow, that could be a cause of fatigue as well.