I want to quit so I fit in with my friends.

Options
I find it hard to stick with a healthy lifestyle when ALL of my friends are 25kg or more heavier than I am. I need to lose 5kg to be at the upper limit of the healthy BMI range, so I wouldn't class myself as thin. If I indulge (which is often) I get comments like "How do you do it? I eat half what you do and look at me." If I make healthier choices I get comments like "You don't need to lose weight. I'd love to have a body like yours." Well I'd love to eat without my size being brought up. Sometimes I want to give up just to fit in.

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Don't give in to peer pressure.

Sounds like your friends are either unsupportive, jealous or lazy.

Not supporting your healthy choices, jealous of your smaller body and too lazy to do what your doing so trying to make you stop so they don't feel bad.

Got to do what you need to do, maybe tell them how you feel or explain what you are doing. Maybe, like most people, they have no idea about weightloss and think your starving yourself etc.

Maybe they need encouragement, from you to get on board and get healthier together.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately some of your friends may die early due to weight related illnesses. You want to fit in there?
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Get new friends.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    e_j_wilson wrote: »
    I find it hard to stick with a healthy lifestyle when ALL of my friends are 25kg or more heavier than I am. I need to lose 5kg to be at the upper limit of the healthy BMI range, so I wouldn't class myself as thin. If I indulge (which is often) I get comments like "How do you do it? I eat half what you do and look at me." If I make healthier choices I get comments like "You don't need to lose weight. I'd love to have a body like yours." Well I'd love to eat without my size being brought up. Sometimes I want to give up just to fit in.

I'd take the emotion out of it and answer honestly about how you do it and that you have 5 kg to go to hit the upper limit of the healthy BMI range.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    What if you just said, "I don't know, I'm just not hungry." That's what I tell my husband.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Meh don't take it personally. I get comments from people too like 'how do you stay so skinny' when I'm stuffing my face at parties. I find it hilarious. But I'm doing it for myself... I don't care what people think. Some days I feel like indulging, some days I don't, but it's my choice and nobody's business.

And I quite enjoy being the thinnest of everyone, to be honest, lol!
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Tell them it's medical advice and refuse to say more.
    It is medical advice, after a fashion. Rightly or wrongly, doctors seem to rely on the BMI scale.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Do. Not. Give. In. :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'd take the emotion out of it and answer honestly about how you do it and that you have 5 kg to go to hit the upper limit of the healthy BMI range.

+1 and then change the subject. And don't initiate conversations about any part of this process with them - it sounds like they might interpret it as judgement of them, if they're making insecure comments like that.

Or could you even just say what you wrote above, "I'd love to eat without my size being brought up, can we talk about something else?" Ask them to not talk to you about *anyone's* weight or body or food.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Crabs in a bucket. Don't let them pull you back in.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    People legit don't seem to realize that, just because you're indulging atm, doesn't mean that you don't maintain a lifestyle of moderation. They may be eating half what you are at the that particular meal, but we don't see what they're doing at home, and I know from experience that it's really easy to put away a ton of calories and not even realize it. That's part of why logging is so effective.
    The rest...pure jealousy/self pity on their part.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    It gets better, eventually they lose interest in discussion that just like everything else that had it's time to be the center of attention. I went though that and when I was just about at the end of my rope I realized it had really lessoned up.
  • bmakkz
    bmakkz Posts: 7 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I experienced the same thing but with my family instead. It went from harmless comments to as bad as my mom stopping me from using smaller plates to eat. This behavior is plainly irrational, which I assume happened because, like you, I was breaking free from the comfort zone around me. And that made them uncomfortable.

Remember what made you start. What was there that you wanted to change? And remember that you are doing this to YOURSELF. You will have the biggest rewards!

Please don't give up what you have accomplished for the sake of others. It's not worth it.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have friends that talk trash when I'm fat- talk trash when I'm thin. I get the "Jules eats organic now", even though I don't! I politely explain that I only eat smaller portions and more fruits/veggies. I make better daily choices. I don't eat pizza every night, but I won't pass it up when I'm with my friends. They only see how you eat when you are with them, not at home and on a daily basis. I explain once or twice, if they don't get it by then I ignore the snarky remarks.

I get attitude from thicker girls in public when I'm thin, get the same from thin girls when I'm fat. I gave up!...I'd rather be healthy and happy then spend my life trying to make someone else comfortable with their body.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    "And why do you think it's appropriate to bring up someone's size when they are eating? Since you seem to like to do it to me, does that mean I can make the same comments to you?"
    ^ That would be my response to a friend.

With my aunt, who said made a comment on how much I was eating a few months ago I wasn't exactly nice. My response was "And do you really think you need to be eating that much?" However, in this case, she has been on my case about my weight loss since I was still classified as obese. She just can't seem to let it go and my irratation builds each time she brings it up. Her latest thing is that I must be anorexic. ~eyeroll~ Some people just don't know when to butt out.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Point out that they are rude *kitten* or change the topic :star:
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    OK, so you would rather be overweight and unhealthy than fit and healthy so you can fit in with your friends? That's your choice. If that's REALLY what you want, go for it.

But is that REALLY what you want?
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options

I have grown to hate those comments. I have lost about 85lbs in 6 months, and now people seriously try and tell me Im to thin, like not even being complimentary, just rude about it. I tell them well according to the doctors I still have 20lbs to loose to be at a healthy weight. I want to tell them to STFU that it is my body and none of their business...
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    You need new friends. That's ridiculous. Be healthy for yourself, not them.